World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently purchased one of those penn rod tubes for my beachcaster so that I can take with me on hols this year but I am not sure if airports allow these things anymore, just wondering if anyone has used these or if they are okay to take, guess i should have checked before i bought, but it was a spur of a moment thing when checking out e-bay.If not it will have to be a travel beachcaster but am not sure about these.
Thanks guys,
Darren.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think it depends on the carrier. Flybe for instance make an excessive charge and state that it may even then not be possible to take a rod.

Of the travel rods I don't think that there is much doubt that the fox trek beach comes out tops by all accounts. It will go in a standard suitcase too. It most definitely isn't a toy.
On tripods I modified a liddl/ ebay one to make it usable. See user tackle reviews. That goes in a suitcase too.
What more could you want?
John

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi guys, I recently purchased one of those penn rod tubes for my beachcaster so that I can take with me on hols this year but I am not sure if airports allow these things anymore, just wondering if anyone has used these or if they are okay to take, guess i should have checked before i bought, but it was a spur of a moment thing when checking out e-bay.If not it will have to be a travel beachcaster but am not sure about these.
Thanks guys,
Darren.
Travelled all over the world with rods in tow.

I usually didnt have a real problem most of the time.
However, If you do suspect that your are travelling on a smaller plane get intouch with someone at your destination, or tour operator.

Do not ring the carrier as they will usually give you the standard reply along some line's as charge per tube or per rod.
You will find sometimes that they allow you to take them out but then try and get something out of you on the way back! Jersey is famous for it and guernsey will try it on!

I even had one carrier that I phone in the early days ask me if I could cut my rods in half to say 4'6" to get them in! NUMPTY!

Last time I went to Jersey I phoned up to ask what plane was scheduled. they asked why then told me that they charge £15/rod. I said I would be taking a rod pod. They said they would open it up and count and charge me wait for it! £90 each way for my rods! So, i didnt take them! Borrowed off skipper! But, my mate took his and payed £15 one-off charge and took his!

Good subject though! Perhaps others will add there's here's my list:

Jersey, guernsey sometimes dodgey but dont accept what they say and insist the gear comes back with you. Once your bags on the plane they are a bit funny if you wont go on!

Iceland,Gambia,Namibia,Kenya,Tobago all ok but make sure they are locked secure labelled up frag and name address etc.

BA can be a bit funny!
BMI baby not too bad!
Alderney Yellow peril ok good guys!

Cant remember the rest sorry!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts