World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose it is the curse of living in this wonderful part of the world and I certainly don't begrudge people wishing to visit and sample the fishing but...

Bloody hell I'm sick of the "I'm taking the caravan down to wherever with the missus next week and was wondering..." threads that appear every day, normally about similar places too!
Use your initiative, there is water and beaches and rocks and fish, just do what you normally do - soak a bloody worm and chill out in the hope something turns up, after all you're on holiday!

Anyway sorry about my little rant, hope you all have a great holiday an catch lots of fish :clap3:

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
I agree to a certain extent but you are being slightly harsh. It would be better if folks used the search facility for the area they are heading to and then, maybe, ask some specific questions.:g:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Don't read them then.

If you want to catch fish in an unfamiliar area, the best thing you can get is local knowledge. If a higher chance of blanking helps you chill on holiday, then fine, but not many fishermen would see a point in soaking worms if the fish aren't going to be there.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
cornwall isnt the only area that gets this type of post. it happens on every forum and there will be people at your chosen destination who will be glad to help with info especially if it helps make your holiday better.

most arnt lookig for specific marks but a general point into the right direction and local tactics.

doing a search doesnt always give recent info on seasonal species.

there are those in all areas that dont want to help others and keep advise to themselves.

it amazes me how many areas rely on tourists for a living but want nothing to with you when you arrive there.

if your thinking of going somewere new and unfamiliar then watch the local posts over a few weeks. get to know whats happening and watch for trends. get chatty with locals using that forum and youll learn a lot more that way.

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
cornwall isnt the only area that gets this type of post. it happens on every forum and there will be people at your chosen destination who will be glad to help with info especially if it helps make your holiday better.

most arnt lookig for specific marks but a general point into the right direction and local tactics.

doing a search doesnt always give recent info on seasonal species.

there are those in all areas that dont want to help others and keep advise to themselves.

it amazes me how many areas rely on tourists for a living but want nothing to with you when you arrive there.

if your thinking of going somewere new and unfamiliar then watch the local posts over a few weeks. get to know whats happening and watch for trends. get chatty with locals using that forum and youll learn a lot more that way.
Agreed, but you can help yourself by using the search facility and see what was being caught in the area 12 months ago. A little knowledge will usually find you a better response from those who fish the marks in the area.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Yeah for all the Anglers on here not an awful lot of catch reports seem to come out. A lot of people view but don't post. I guess that's why people are looking for more info

Quite often I would be more than happy to see someone report something as vague as "3lb Bass caught on squid in West Cornwall on low water rock mark"

Careful of the commercial boys finding out though. :secret: LOL :)

It would all help paint a picture of what's going on. I have been searching through the threads from previous years at the same time of year to find what fish could be targeted and tactics but it's all too easy sometimes to start a new thread and sit back to wait for a result. I guess some people view it as lazy so are not inclined to help.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I understand what your saying onshore especially when you get a thread like "this is the 3rd post ive done asking bout such and such a place and ive had no replies" its a typical grockle (emit) mentality like we should be grateful they're coming here and we are beholden to em. Like snaggs said its easy enough to type your destination in the search forum and get info that way. Personally i would like to see em all bugger off never to return! On the other hand it can be reassuring to get up to date info to add to the excitement of fishing a new mark. I know i might get caned on this but who really benefits from tourism? Is it us normal folk? or the holiday park owners/ property investors/ ice cream shops and fancy goods stores? What percentage of the dev and cornwall population actually enjoy having the tourists compared to those whose daily lives are blighted by it?:preachon:

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
but who really benefits from tourism? Is it us normal folk? or the holiday park owners/ property investors/ ice cream shops and fancy goods stores? What percentage of the dev and cornwall population actually enjoy having the tourists compared to those whose daily lives are blighted by it?:preachon:
Interesting question. I probably spend over £1k a year in Cornwall. I stop in hotels and holiday cottages. Both of these places employ local people (who would not be employed if it wasn't for the tourists). They spend their earnings localy as well. I also buy food from local shops and supermarkets (owned by or employing local people). Pubs and restaurants also see my money as do the bait and tackle shops.

Take that money and all the other tourist money out of the economy of Cornwall and what are you left with?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Interesting question. I probably spend over £1k a year in Cornwall. I stop in hotels and holiday cottages. Both of these places employ local people (who would not be employed if it wasn't for the tourists). They spend their earnings localy as well. I also buy food from local shops and supermarkets (owned by or employing local people). Pubs and restaurants also see my money as do the bait and tackle shops.

Take that money and all the other tourist money out of the economy of Cornwall and what are you left with?
Just look how far beind the rest of the country we are down here-shops, public transport and roads just to name a few. Without the tourism i dread to think.
For those who dont like the holiday threads-dont read them and dont respond to them. I for one dont mind at all and will always help out when i can.
Miserable sods

·
Registered
3,627 Posts

Ok snaggle, my point and question being though was whats the percentage of people who profit from tourism compared to the people who "suffer" tourism. Not aving a pop at anyone its a valid question.:)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Just look how far beind the rest of the country we are down here-shops, public transport and roads just to name a few. Without the tourism i dread to think.
For those who dont like the holiday threads-dont read them and dont respond to them. I for one dont mind at all and will always help out when i can.
Miserable sods
Thats why you live in such a unique and desirable county rich, i honestly believe if tourism stopped tomorrow only about 2% of the devon and cornwall population would feel the pinch, just think about how life would be so mucheasier for the other 98%:)

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Ok snaggle, my point and question being though was whats the percentage of people who profit from tourism compared to the people who "suffer" tourism. Not aving a pop at anyone its a valid question.:)
I know it was a straight question, that is why I finished with the bit about taking the tourism money away and what are you left with. To a certain extent everyone profits as this money swills around in the local economy. Ok some will go out to people who own properties who live outside the area but most of it will be spent in local businesses . Take the ice cream trade, you would think just the shop owners and manufacturers benefit, but, what about the guy who is employed to deliver the ice cream to the shop. Take the thoughts further along the line and you head to the dairy farm that produces the milk for the manufacturer. More and more jobs are tourist related and if there were no tourists then a lot of these jobs wouldn't exist. This would mean that there would be a lot less employment (even if it is poorly paid) and a lot less money being spent supporting other industries.

Take a major industry of any kind out of an area and all businesses suffer to some extent. Just look at some of the ghost towns and villages in the old mining communities up north. Just think of what Newquay would be like without the tourist trade, maybe a lot nicer to be around initially but it would die a slow and painful death.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry didn't mean to cause offence was just a light hearted dig perhaps meant to make some people think before they post.

It's a double edged sword - I can't stand the tourists they do my head in, clogging up the beaches and the roads but I do understand they are necessary to keep Cornwall afloat. I am lucky enough to earn my income from outside Cornwall and still live there but I'm not selfish enough to want rid of them

Anyway I was not having a go at tourists per se just the type that can't find a mark themselves, surely that is part of the fun and skill of fishing? It is for me as I rarely fish the same place more than once a year. I would much rather blank somewhere new!

Personally I don't think there is a great deal of actual Cornish people who live in Cornwall who directly earn their income from tourism, most tourism businesses seem to work on the principle of the owner/manager raking it in with a load of minions slaving for minimum wage, certainly how it worked when I was younger in those jobs.

I think that Cornwall could focus more on bringing in technology and clean industries rather than just the rather limited tourism, would do a lot more for the people of Cornwall in the long run to bring in real skills...

But that is a different debate.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
2% benefit from tourism????!!!! Total and utter rubbish mate. Dont get me wrong-i personally dont benefit one little bit from tourism at the moment. I live in newquay so i get the brunt of it as well. But i doubt very much wether there is a single man on here that has never worked in tourism-i have. The public transport would be worse then it is now (is that possible??) there would be pretty much no shops at all as there would be no-one to shop in them. What other industry does cornwall have? pasties??
There would be no decent restraunts, we would still be using the old A30.
If all of the tourists stopped coming Cornwall would be on its arse. FACT
I also wonder how happy you would be if they did and your house value dropped by 75% because thats what would happen.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Sorry didn't mean to cause offence was just a light hearted dig perhaps meant to make some people think before they post.

It's a double edged sword - I can't stand the tourists they do my head in, clogging up the beaches and the roads but I do understand they are necessary to keep Cornwall afloat. I am lucky enough to earn my income from outside Cornwall and still live there but I'm not selfish enough to want rid of them

Anyway I was not having a go at tourists per se just the type that can't find a mark themselves, surely that is part of the fun and skill of fishing? It is for me as I rarely fish the same place more than once a year. I would much rather blank somewhere new!

Personally I don't think there is a great deal of actual Cornish people who live in Cornwall who directly earn their income from tourism, most tourism businesses seem to work on the principle of the owner/manager raking it in with a load of minions slaving for minimum wage, certainly how it worked when I was younger in those jobs.

I think that Cornwall could focus more on bringing in technology and clean industries rather than just the rather limited tourism, would do a lot more for the people of Cornwall in the long run to bring in real skills...

But that is a different debate.
You put that a lot better than i did well done:clap3:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thats why you live in such a unique and desirable county rich, i honestly believe if tourism stopped tomorrow only about 2% of the devon and cornwall population would feel the pinch, just think about how life would be so mucheasier for the other 98%:)

:clap3:....well said.
people hiring holiday homes for the week isnt putting money in local peoples pockets either...it goes to the person who owns the house and who only comes down to visit twice a year therefore house prices are ridiculous for most south west people.local workers are expected to work for minimun wage because they should be gratefull that the grockels/emmits are giving them a job!!touchy subject this one...

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
2% benefit from tourism????!!!! Total and utter rubbish mate. Dont get me wrong-i personally dont benefit one little bit from tourism at the moment. I live in newquay so i get the brunt of it as well. But i doubt very much wether there is a single man on here that has never worked in tourism-i have. The public transport would be worse then it is now (is that possible??) there would be pretty much no shops at all as there would be no-one to shop in them. What other industry does cornwall have? pasties??
There would be no decent restraunts, we would still be using the old A30.
If all of the tourists stopped coming Cornwall would be on its arse. FACT
I also wonder how happy you would be if they did and your house value dropped by 75% because thats what would happen.
I think your wrong rich, yes they do bring something to the table but it wouldn't be disastrous if they stopped coming. And i do think its about 2% no more, don't forget the tourism trade is only boom time for about 8 weeks a year the rest of the time we hardly notice the difference and we all seem to manage ok for the other 44 weeks. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
:clap3:....well said.
people hiring holiday homes for the week isnt putting money in local peoples pockets either...it goes to the person who owns the house and who only comes down to visit twice a year therefore house prices are ridiculous for most south west people.local workers are expected to work for minimun wage because they should be gratefull that the grockels/emmits are giving them a job!!touchy subject this one...
I could debate this all night but its fishing talk not politics people want here!!:)

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.