World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just joined the site today, recently got back into fishing (no catching yet !).

Have a holiday planned to Ullapool in August, just wondered what I can expect to cath up there from the shore at that time of year.

Ideally would love to bag some mackarel for cooking on the beach !

Cheers

G

·
Hiya Harpo and welcome to the site

I have fished around Ullapool a few times. I normally go to a place about 5 miles north of Ullapool called Rhue. There is a lighthouse there that has some rocks by it that give way to sand.
Fish that you should get in that area about that time of year are all the common species...pollock, coddling, doggies, flatties, wrasse, mackerel, coalfish and sea trout.
Depending on the depth of water also depends on species.

Just remember to take your midgie cream/net. They are little blighters up there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Al,

That sounds great, funny you should mention the midges, I just got myself a midge net on ebay for that very reason,

I look forward to chucking some lures up that way later this year

Thanks

Harpo

G

·
Spinning for the pollock up there is some of the best fishing i have ever done. Quite regulary get 4 to 8lb pollock with a spinner.

Luckily i am going to Skye this year for a holiday so should get some great fishing in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pollock sounds good, I'm looking forward to it!

I was going to buy a new fixed spool reel for the trip, what kind of line do you use and what strength, I've heard that braid is supposed to be the best for spinning etc?

Also thinking of going to Gairloch after Ulapool, I've been looking on the net, seems to be soem good places up there as well...roll on the summer !

Where about in Skye are you going?, I was up there last year, didn't have rods with me though, its a great place.

Cheers for the advice

G

·
I am going up to the north of Skye to near Uig. I have been over there a few times and fished all over it. Neist Point on the NW coast is good for spinning (near the lighthouse) and also up near to Flodigarry on the NE coast.
I fish with 17lb line due to the nature of the pollock choosing to dive into weed after being caught. The reel is a Shakespere Quo model no. 2019 050. I think it is a great reel for the job and has never failed me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again 'Al,

I will start the search for a new reel and some line, hope you have a nice time in Skye. hopefully I will get over there again soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Harpo

Just joined today and looks like a good site. Can anyone let us know if there is any good fresh bait up in Gairloch from the beaches and what is best to use?

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Loagerz,

Welcome to the site, glad you could make it, sorry can't help you on the bait situation !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts