World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I'm coming down to Cornwall for 10 days holiday on the 14th May, I'm staying in Hayle

I normally fish the rock marks from prussia cove to porthcurno, mostly for wrasse and pollack, but I want to fish more of the lizard this year.

Can anyone suggest any new marks for me to try (preferably without mountain goat get downs), I'd appreciate location, species bait and tactics.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fished Porhkerris last Sunday for 3 hours. Took home a bag of 20 Mackerel and threw another 10 smaller ones back. Plenty of others were having similar luck. Also caught a Gar of almost 2lbs - interesting! It's a bit like shooting ducks in a barrel if you use feathers, but if that gets too 'easy' use a float with sand eel. I fished a falling tide, but it seems that any tide is good at the moment. It costs £2 to park and another £1 per person to fish, but no long hike and marks easy to get to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I say that I'm not adverse to a long walk, just that I like marks that don't need ropes to get to them!

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi simundo

find st keverne on map take the road to porthallowafter about a mile after leaving the village you will come to a sharp right hand bend with a minor road strait ahead ,take this road after 100yds go down no through road and continue to the beach; your there.

cheers fawlty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for that, I have got the OS that goes from Lizard point West :D Got it now

Any beach marks fishing well or is sport mostly to be had from the rock marks???

·
Registered
49 Posts
most beaches quite at the moment porthkerris best bet this early som flaties from marks around lizard point on eastern side.

ps.did you spot my diliberate mistake in the directions ie for sharp right hand bend please read left hand

fawlty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, can't say I noticed the left/right thing, as soon as I looked at Porthallow I saw porthkerris on the map

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi simono
update on beach fishing
. praa sands and perranuthno both fishing quite well when theres a good s/westerly swell ,i believe a 9lb bass taken from praa sand in the last few days.

cheers for now fawlty :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Fawlty,

I'm back now and can't say I fished much, I only got through a pound of rag and a few packets of sandeels and some of that went in the bin :eek:

I tried porthkerris to try and avoid the wind last weekend, but there was about 40-50 anglers there. I would like to try that place again on a weekday, because I saw quite varied species coming out.

I tried to get to some of my favourite rock marks, but with the wet weather and wind, I didn't get down to them and almost came a cropper.

I did get a bit of snorkling in though but didn't see nothing apart from seals, spider crabs and the occasional big wrasse.

There were reports of some bass being taken at praa when I was down there, but couldn't persuade the family to sit on a beach facing the wind :confused:

The upside was I managed to get out wrecking on Viking from Penzance for a day and had some nice pollack

I will have to wait until September now, but that is just me and the missus who is as barmy about fishing as I am (her biggest ambition at the moment is to catch a conger). I'll get more fishing in next time.

Thanks for the tips guys

Simundo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts