World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:secret: I imported some of this with the intention of joining it to a standard braid without a knot. Anybody have any experience in this area or am I ahead of it's time. I think the technique may already be used for big game and something simular has been used on fly lines for donkeys years..
I am fairly sure that there will be other problems but I'm determined to try it.

John

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
just slide the line inside the hollow braid , put a drop of glue in yer line and shove it further in then pull , so the braid clamps it like the chinese finger torture things you get from joke shops
cuberd

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I wrote an article in Sea Angling Monthly about this over 20 years ago. I'll try and dig it out for you.

philtherod

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I wrote an article in Sea Angling Monthly about this over 20 years ago. I'll try and dig it out for you.

philtherod
Sea anglers really like knots. :uhuh:
If it's been good enough for attaching expensive fly lines I would have thought a manufacturer would have something specific for sea anglers by now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hollow stuff is relatively thin 80lb and I have a choice for the running line but intend to try 15. The 15 is powerpro and the hollow stuff is the same type of fibre. It's very tightly woven and has much more of a silky feel to it than powerpro.

Thanks for the offer Phil that could be useful.

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The flyline way involves the use of a sort of plastic mesh stocking. When the stocking is pulled it contracts around the fly line and doesn't slip. Most people use a drop of super glue at the end of the stocking to get things going.

John

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Used it for years on fly lines, both as connecter for the backing to the line and to make a loop at the trace end to attach the leader. Never broken and been taken down to the backing many times by salmon and sea-trout in Scotland. How it would work with a braid to mono, I have no idea. I would be worried that the mono and braid being so much thinner, would cause a high risk of parting company at the crucial moment.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going for braid to braid Edgey. Which is likely to be even more difficult but I understand that big game fishers may use it.

John

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya I tried this a few years back .. but failed :(

What I use now is a wind on leader connected via loop to loop using a "cats paw" knot, it's basically 16' of mono (180lb in my case) connected to 8' of 130lb hollow dacron, the mono is slid 3' up inside the braid (remember a rough up the mono slightly with fine sandpaper as even with glue it can pull out if you don't.)and a loop is created on the other end of it. I then make a 2' loop in the end of my braid and connect them both with the "cats paw"

For braid to braid connections, I've not been able to find anything better than a double uni knot but with 10 turns each side.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've one idea that uses a knot that might work maybe with a drop of super glue. It's used on fly lines and called a nail knot. The thinner line goes up the centre and out of the side and then is tightly bound round the hollow braid. The binding will collapse the hollow braid and it can't slip back because the thinner braid has bulked it up. A drop of super glue behind the binding would enhance the effect even more.

The game fishing way seems to involve feeding 6ft or more of line up the hollow braid using what seems to be a bluntish needle. Sort of rounded end to avoid damaging the strands.

John

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm going for braid to braid Edgey. Which is likely to be even more difficult but I understand that big game fishers may use it.

John
What diameters of braid are you joining?
And what purpose?
Braid as a casting leader has been tried but without stretch can break with the 'shock loading'. Braid generally has poor abrasion resistance - not too great to have the last few feet close to the rough stuff.

If you try gluing it in the hollow braid section I think it will slip unless the superbraid is doubled first and then inserted to the hollow braid.
Tried all of this about 10 years ago - with only limited success.

Would be interested in the idea being perfected. Good luck.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya John,

QUOTE=Ajohn;613138]I've one idea that uses a knot that might work maybe with a drop of super glue. It's used on fly lines and called a nail knot. The thinner line goes up the centre and out of the side and then is tightly bound round the hollow braid. The binding will collapse the hollow braid and it can't slip back because the thinner braid has bulked it up. A drop of super glue behind the binding would enhance the effect even more.
John[/QUOTE]

Sorry mate but it sounds to me like you are getting over complicated to get the same effect as a double uni knot... Also normal Super glue and Salt water tend not to like each other.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pelamid. Some parts of the world have been using braid for rock fishing for ages. The trick is to use a slightly long trace. Shock leaders are designed to take the load when casting. Shock doesn't come it to it at all. There is a problem but shock isn't one of them and I can't say I intend to rock fish with it anyway.

Davy. Nail knots are very easy to tie so I can't see that being a complication. I also fail to see why standard runny super glue would react with saltwater once cured. There isn't any chemical reason why it should. It will react with any sort of water if it isn't cured.

Not being rude (I hope) or pigheaded - I intend to try it what ever anyone says. Sea fishing in the UK has an awful habit of just standing still. Often for completely invalid reasons such as the shock in shock leaders.

Sorry folks I prefer Phil's type of answer - it helps. (Hoping he can find it.) I will take info from any source but always find out if it works for myself.

John

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Davy. Nail knots are very easy to tie so I can't see that being a complication. I also fail to see why standard runny super glue would react with saltwater once cured. There isn't any chemical reason why it should. It will react with any sort of water if it isn't cured.
All I know is the supe rglue on my leaders lasts no problem so long as you don't use them. use the leader, even without catching a fish on it and the glue will be ineffective within a few hours.

Not being rude (I hope) or pigheaded - I intend to try it what ever anyone says. Sea fishing in the UK has an awful habit of just standing still. Often for completely invalid reasons such as the shock in shock leaders.
The problem is .. there are very few things that have not already been tried but if you want to continue then that's your call :giveup:

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
correct me if im wrong,
but i dont think superglue is waterproof, let alone salt proof.

epoxy resin is. (two part)

just a thought, al

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The other knot you could try is a Needle knot the braids should grip each other.

The braided loops for fly lines grip well because the aren't tightly braided and go tighter when pulled. Standard braids are braided as tightly as possible.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tah - I think the needle and the nail might well be the same thing.
I suspect that the problem with super glue relates to mono but in any case I freely admit I might be wrong but braid will absorb it before it sets (hopefully) . It's just that having worked in industry I've used super glue for all sorts of thing and water hasn't been a problem - it's the automotive industry and roads do get salted.

A director I had hated the stuff. A mistake was made and a recall proved useless as the bit's couldn't be undone - he wouldn't allow the the use of the stuff for anything.

John

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
:secret: I imported some of this with the intention of joining it to a standard braid without a knot. Anybody have any experience in this area or am I ahead of it's time. I think the technique may already be used for big game and something simular has been used on fly lines for donkeys years..
I am fairly sure that there will be other problems but I'm determined to try it.

John
Hi I Lightly crimp and roughen the mono so the glue gets a grip on it when soaking in through the braid to stop it slipping and get a good grip.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts