World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Portugal in May. I was wondering if i was to fish from the shore what i would be expected to catch.
I will be staying in the Albufeira region of the Algarve.
Any advise! tips! etc, on tackle, bait,and what to expect would be apreciated.
Many thanks..............Kevin

Also where could i get a good travel rod ( beachcaster) £ ??? Or would a Carp rod suffice.?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good morning Sam the Bass Man

I'm fairly new to fishing but have done a bit in Portugal ( going there myself in May), so I'll try to help.

Bottom fishing is reasonable if you get a decent skipper, cost around €45 for 4 hours. There is also game fishing available, but this is more expensive.

Shore fishing is mixed, some clean and a lot of rocky. By observation the locals seem to stick to the rocky ground, so that's where I tend to go.

The west coast just round the corner from St Vincente is good but usually has a strong on-shore breeze, so no good for travelling gear.

At the moment we don't have a base in Portugal, so as I am carrying my gear each time we go, I am fishing light. That's like Miller Lite but even more relaxing.
I looked at the Exage but on the recommendation of Roger at Veals, went for a Shimono Beastmaster spinning travelling rod, with a Okuma Eclipz reel. Fladden and Shimono Exage do cheaper models which seem to get good reports, and I understand there are some good telescopic rods around.

Now for the good bit. At the moment I am spinning and next trip intend to experiment with floats. On my last trip in March I was fishing from Praia da Luz, just west of Lagos. Strong on-shore winds prevented me from fishing until the last two days. I only caught one fish Kevin, but it was my PB, a 3lb bass. I was fishing from rocks using a Rapala J13.

I hope this has been of help, but please come back or send me a PM if I can be of more help.

Fred

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Fred

Can you explain why the chap at veals advocated the Beastmaster as opposed to the Exage rod.

I am looking into getting one of the put together Exage rods as it is available locally, wheras the Beastmaster I would have to get mail order.

Did he give good justification reasons?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lewisteh

They sold both, but he said they had had a few Exages returned faulty, but no beastmasters. For me it was a reliability thing.They do it in two weights, a 40 and a 100 gramme. I went for the 100 because I felt it would cope with most of what I would hope to get. I thought the 40 might be a bit light. The only downside, apart from being a bit more expensive, is that it takes up a bit more room, but hey so I fish naked, who needs clothes and who cares. The missus says nobody would notice anyway.

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the Beast master for the same reasons as Fred. I fish for Bass alot in S.Wales,and having looked deeper into it have learnt that the bigger bass frequent the coast of Portugal i thought well take a few Casting SHADS, Plugs, etc. with the heavier rod you can keep your options open.ie:- bit of light bottom fishing for red snapper,As for thier opinions !! i dont know!! bought it online.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have a exage carp ihad it to go to sri lanka in november i cast 3 to 4 ons with it worked like a dream i used it most days it did notlet me down i am going to fish for bass in the summer ithink it is that good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts