World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple of weeks of fishing for rays, last night’s mission was to target smoothhound for a change, we hadn’t heard of any being caught lately but we had some success on the break this time last year so we thought we’d give it a go.

Conditions weren’t too bad when we arrived, it wasn’t raining for a change :clap: but it was a bit breezy. Steve was first off the mark with a tiny dab on his scratching rod followed a short while later by a corkwing wrasse to me. A while later Steve got the first bite of the evening on the crab baits :thumbs:, it wasn’t what we came for but he wasn’t too disappointed with a nice huss of 7lb 9oz.

As dusk approached I started doing well with a double shot of ballan wrasse and a nice 3 beard rockling but Steve started to struggle for bites. A short while later though our enjoyment of the session was shattered when a selfish prat in a fishing boat came speeding up the break almost within touching distance, he came inshore of a lobster pot which couldn’t have even been 10 yards out and took all four of our lines with him :mad: :mad:, my lines snapped almost immediately but Steve got a really nasty line cut as he made a grab for his rods, it was only the fact that the line cauterized the cut that saved him from a trip to accident and emergency, to say we were annoyed would be a complete understatement. Our immediate thought was to chuck the gear into the car and meet the nice chap at the harbour to thank him :nono: but we soon calmed down and got back to the fishing.

By the time we got rigged up again the fishing had slowed right down and for the rest of the session Steve couldn’t buy a bite while I could only manage another rockling and a doggie. All in all a slightly disappointing session :( but hopefully we’ll get a spell of settled weather before this so called summer ends and we can get out for another hound hunting session, with luck a session free from idiots in power boats.

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
well done on geting huss and others ,shame about what hapen too lines but are some right prats out there .shaggy

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
nice fish,and yes there are some wallies about in boats,yesterday at moelfre some people in a flashy speedboat and their mates on a jet ski drifted slowly in front of all the shore anglers who had to shorten their casts significantly to avoid hitting them,they were actually fishing from the .boats so you would think that they would have known better

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
nice fish,and yes there are some wallies about in boats,yesterday at moelfre some people in a flashy speedboat and their mates on a jet ski drifted slowly in front of all the shore anglers who had to shorten their casts significantly to avoid hitting them,they were actually fishing from the .boats so you would think that they would have known better
you think so but eye would carried on cast my nor distance sod them.shaggy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts