World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of fishing Holywell point on Saturday. Does anyone have advice on directions and tactics please?
I don't mind a long walk but I seem to recall talk of locked gates and don't want to be trespassing or anything. I was thinking there might be a thornie or two around.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Ron

Thats great- thanks for the advice. It seems that I may not need to put my walking boots on after all! I was going to try squid or maybe crab.
Are there any Herring to catch in the Crouch at this time of year or is the fishmongers my best bet?

I see that you have a boat- where are you based mate?

Andy

·
Registered
384 Posts
the gate is only unlocked if they are working on the farm be very careful as the farm manager goes round locking them and if some fishermen know you are fishing with out a key/pass they may lock you in it happens alot

mick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mick.

Am I supposed to buy a pass/key somewhere? If I was to park before the gate how far is the walk?
Have you fished there recently yourself?

Andy

·
Registered
384 Posts
key/pass cost £25 ayear april 1st to march31st they have just sent out the renewal forms the walk from gate its about a mile to sea wall then as far a walk as you want to fish
not been for a couple of weeks hope to get there next week with the big tides

mick

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one.
I guess I'll just have to give it a go on foot and buy a pass off someone if they approach me.
Thanks for all the advice- I have never caught a ray before so hope to break my duck this year,

Andy

·
Registered
384 Posts
think you will find thats the gate in burnam where the sea wall is apublic footpath
and its about 5 mile walk to the point the gate key/pass is for the end of marsh road that is all private so you can drive on the private tracks to the sea wall to save the walk there is no way strutt&parker farms will take there locks off and lets be honest £25 ayear is only 50p aweek for some very good fishing

mick

·
Registered
447 Posts
think you will find thats the gate in burnam where lets be honest £25 ayear is only 50p aweek for some very good fishing

mick
too true mick, sent my pennies off last week, cant bloody wait mate, when do they send the keys out do you know, i might use THE KEY this weekend, anything about over there at the mo, need a repeat fix of last year mick, blinding day yet again mick THANKS:kissing: :notworthy

·
Registered
384 Posts
hi paul as far as i am aware they will send the keys out the last week in march
hope you have some luck over the weekend i have got to look after my granson
so will not be out hope to get over there one day next week for the big tides

mick

15,082 Posts
think you will find thats the gate in burnam where the sea wall is apublic footpath
and its about 5 mile walk to the point the gate key/pass is for the end of marsh road that is all private so you can drive on the private tracks to the sea wall to save the walk there is no way strutt&parker farms will take there locks off and lets be honest £25 ayear is only 50p aweek for some very good fishing

mick
Just reporing what people who live there have been saying and that is that there IS NO lock on the gate.Personally,I couldnt care less one way or the other!....Plenty of people fishing there lately though so I should think there are a few fish around.There are Roker everywhere so I would expect they are in the river.

Ron

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just reporing what people who live there have been saying and that is that there IS NO lock on the gate.Personally,I couldnt care less one way or the other!....Plenty of people fishing there lately though so I should think there are a few fish around.There are Roker everywhere so I would expect they are in the river.

Ron
thanks ron for the info on the roker, oh well saturday here we go then:clap3:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good luck,I think you may get a few too!...The are bang on the Herring chunks,we've had them everywhere,even a few hundred yards from the beach in the Wallet opposite St Osyths.

Ron
is it better for them on the up or down or that funny little hour in the middle (dont want to get up too early if i can help it)

15,082 Posts
Not sure mate about the fishing from the beach.We catch them at all states of the tide from the boat.....There are a few peelers around too,so maybe worth trying some if you can get any.The Herring is always a top Roker bait though.

Ron

·
Registered
473 Posts
Could someone Pm me details of who to contact for purchasing key as i am more than interested. Thanks, malc.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Off the beach in the crouch two hours either side of low are best!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is it the Chelmsford office of Strutt and Parker that administrate this?
I have no problem with stumping up- I just don't know who to pay!
It looks as though the weather will be good on Saturday too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts