World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So watched videos about home made lures in YouTube. Channel called "The Handmade Fisherman". He has alot of useful information and also free templates and step by step guides with tool list etc.

Anyway, I have started to make my own basic glide. Material - pine (NOT THE BEST ONE), I could not get different material because I was to exited to make one and I had only pine leftovers.

Here is the progress so far.

Applied some 5 min SUP' smelly poundland epoxy just to start balancing it.
For hook and connection point I used swivels, drilled a hole, injected 5min epoxy and vuala.

Next step - get some steel/brass rods to balance it and make it heavier.

Also I need odorless epoxy or at least not so smelly as mentioned above.

I will update my progress here.

Your thoughts suggestions so far?

Cheers,
VK

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Great progress there. Looking good :thumbsup:

Could you not put lead shot in a drilled hole/holes and epoxy them over, instead of steel or brass rod?

George

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great progress there. Looking good :thumbsup:

Could you not put lead shot in a drilled hole/holes and epoxy them over, instead of steel or brass rod?

George
I guess yes, but with steel or brass rod it is easy to balance the glide. With lead it would be tricky.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Never come across that before. I seem to see people either putting lead slugs in or pouring molten lead in.

You'd need 50% more brass or 60% more steel than lead, so much more volume of either of them.

George

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never come across that before. I seem to see people either putting lead slugs in or pouring molten lead in.

You'd need 50% more brass or 60% more steel than lead, so much more volume of either of them.

George
I will try. Thanks for advice. :)

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I make lead rod from a fishing weights just keep hitting it and turning it, and finish off with a file

Reactions: briney and Vitaly

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
Plumbers solder on a roll might be useful , comes in non toxic too !

Reckon it would make a passable lrf lure on its own with a couple of bits of silicone tube to hold it on the line.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you get plumbers solder, which is around 3mm in diameter I reckon, it's around £10 for 1/2 kilo. Plenty of experimenting from that. At 10g per lure you've got 50 lures, so 20p each. Bargain.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts