World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
further to the previous thread has anyone any suggestions re obtaining copper microtubing to make your own crimps?

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
further to the previous thread has anyone any suggestions re obtaining copper microtubing to make your own crimps?
When i worked on caravans the lpg cookers etc had flame failure devices which had thin copper tubing,we often had to replace them. Might be worth finding a local caravan dealer who might give or sell you ones theyve had to replace.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When i worked on caravans the lpg cookers etc had flame failure devices which had thin copper tubing,we often had to replace them. Might be worth finding a local caravan dealer who might give or sell you ones theyve had to replace.
My gas cooker at home has one of those, its a little curly thing, I wonder if the Mrs will miss it. hopefully it 's steel not sure if copper might be a bit too soft.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I make my own shark traces by using copper brake pipe cut into 3/4 inch sections as crimps, doesnt cost anything, freely available from any scrap yard, or MOT Garage, failing that, the neighbours Merc.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where abouts in Cornwall are you? I'm a gas engineer and usually have one or two of these in the van that have been removed and replaced. I usually just throw them away. In fact there's one in there at the moment. Your welcome to have them if you want to collect. I will save them for you if you wish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wadebridge. After having a look I think the one in the van is possibly too large to be used as crimps. I think the size you are after is more like an oven thermostat. During the week I will have a look where we store all the old boilers and cookers we remove and see if there are any more suitable ones there for you. Cheers. Dan.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Doesn't this introduce the chance of rough/sharp edges when you cut the tubing with the posibility of weakening the line?

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
Proper pipe cutters would produce a smoother cut than say a hacksaw.

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
I used to use a countersink bit in a drill to chamfer the inner edges of the cut copper pipe, it made the crimp very heavy mono friendly, but, I think in the long run it would be easier just to buy a few crimps if you only need a few, I used to make 50 at a time, so it was cheaper than buying them.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ok I maybe missing the point here or just being plain thick.

But surly by the time you have bought your copper tube cut it to length cleaned each end up inside and out of burrs both ends.
Which is going to be a fiddley time consuming job.

Why not just buy them.

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
If you have time on your hands to diy it is enjoyable and worthwhile but only if the end result is fit for purpose.
I had a little play with thermal link copper tube making tubes for salmon flies but i lined that with biro nylon tube to get over the sharp edge problem.
Made the tube, tied the fly and caught a salmon on it !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts