World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda 90 vtec on my Warrior 175 which has only done 67hrs and is 4yrs old, the engine has been very well maintained and has never been abused or made to work hard. The engine has however developed an intermitent starting problem which is giving me some concern. 9 times out of 10 it starts with the first turn of the key with no problems and it runs like a dream not missing a single beat but every so often when I turn the key it is totally dead as if the battery was not conected. What I have to do is wiggle the throtle lever back and forth two or three times while it is in its neutral position and it starts up.
I do not know if the linkage to the motor is not putting the engine into neutral or if their is a micro switch or solenoid behind the throtle lever which may be defective.
If anyone has suffered the same or is qualified to give me a clue on what is wrong I would be very greatful.

Winkle.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hoping that a qualified reader of the forum would explain it to be something very simple with a quick home fix.
The boat came from over 200 miles away and I have no local Honda dealership so a simple return to the supplier is not quite so simple and it does have a considerable cost/time element which I would much prefer to avoid, but thank you for your responce.

Winkle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Suzuki DF 115 , 3 years old and has done this intermittently since new. I also move the throttle control forwards and backwards a few times and it starts again.I have got used to doing this as the engine will start every time after a wiggle. It has not got any worse in the last 3 years. This is my first boat and have learned to live with it, rightly or wrongly. If I put the engine in reverse just before stopping the problem disappears more often than not so I assumed it was probably the gear linkage not quite set up right and the engine assuming it was in gear. Sorry this doesn't help you but I would like to see if you can cure this without sending engine or parts back to a main dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Identical issue as you Mr Bulwark Bandit, if I get a cure I will inform you via this thread.
A colleague of mine has contacted me tonight to say that it may be the trigger (red button) on the throttle that you squeeze upwards before you move back or forth to engage the gears. this may have a keyway that needs to engage making an electrical connection and this may have some salt or dirt causing poor connection.

Winkle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I should have sorted it 3 years ago but the engine always starts after a wiggle and I have just got used to it. This actually happened on the handover of the boat from the dealer ( brand new boat and he never said anything ) so that is why I just got used to it. I am now going to try and sort this out and will let you know how I get on. Cheers, Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts