World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once again going back a few years,i can remember buying hooks with barbs on the shanks,if im right we used to call them bass hooks,ive not seen any in the tackle shop i use,they used to be good for keeping baits up the shank of the hook,this is before the days of bait elastic,can you still get them ??does any one still use them ??.
kjp:g:

· Registered
4,465 Posts
Yeah you can can syill get that style of hook. Some makers call them worm hooks or bait holders I believe.

As blankerman says try any of the online retailers. Try uk-hooks he has a huge selection of hooks.

· Registered
21,232 Posts
I ve seen hooks i think they were called varvias piggyback hooks and they had one big barb whipped onto the back of the shank to impale crab baits therefore not masking the hook point they looked very good.

that's the ones i was thinking of:)

· Registered
1,304 Posts
mustad power worm - 34042BLN
or
Mustad baitholder 92647

The power worm are excellent hooks. I use the size 6/0 with jellies fishing for pollack, but they are also very good hooks for bait fishing.
The baitholder (or beak) are nasty things (IMHO) seen too many break where the shank is sliced to create the barbs.

SS
Yeah the silver baitholders were horrible things prone to snapping at the barbs, far too brittle.

As everybody else says the mustad and varivas are an updated quality version.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
I ve seen hooks i think they were called varvias piggyback hooks and they had one big barb whipped onto the back of the shank to impale crab baits therefore not masking the hook point they looked very good.
the spike is actually soldered (or brazed) to the shank on that - done individually, by hand, and as some reveiwer said "how some poor ***** can do that and make a living for 20p a hook heaven only knows" ( I paraphrased that) i.e. they are very cheap for the effort put in

unfortunately they are only available in size 4/0

you can make an imitation by whipping a bent bit of wire (used to be half a paper clip when I were a kid, but you could use a half-straightened smaller hook) onto the shank of a Big Mouth or BMX .....
.....the tricky bit is doing a good enough job to not have it slide/twist round the side. But it does give you the chance to do it with a hook up to 8/0 (BMX) or down to size 1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.