World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought, do you guys take a hook sharpener fishing with you?, or take enough rigs to change, when a hook dulls?
I fish some shingly spots and the lower hook takes a pounding, blunt within 2 or 3 casts, I figured it maybe easier just to sharpen it in situ rather that change the rig.
Kind of answered my own question really, but still like to hear what other anglers do.
Scott.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
If you're getting blunt hooks due to being bashed on shingle you'll never get the point back properly with a sharpener. They can be good for larger hooks, but I'm talking big big hooks for shark, conger and the likes.

Best way is to just get rid of them and put on a new one. For how much a good hook costs compared to the amount of other stuff we take with us it's not a big hit to the wallet.

I am slightly concerned that you're getting blunt hooks in 2-3 casts though. I've got a sneaky suspicion that you're probably fishing the same kind of places I am, and I might get one or two blunt a session. What hooks are you using? If they're cheapo ones then I'd consider getting something a little better.

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
Never sharpened a hook in my life , when they are blunt they are ready for the bin, I tie all my hooks using a Gemini snood clip, , takes seconds to change a hook ,also if you use 2 rigs , 1 baited ready while fishing with the other, you have plenty of time to change a hook ,,,,,,,,,

G

·
Blunt hooks can be caused by dragging the bottom/beach when reeling in. Do you keep the rod tip up and, walk towards the water as your rig comes in?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do keep the rod up, I do my best to keep the rig off bottom, some of the deeper spots where the beach is steep you can feel it hitting bottom most of the way in.

The worst hooks I find for quickly dulling are the vanadium red worms, great little hook but blunt so quickly, nigh on impossible to resharpen too.
I always do the thumb nail test (if it sticks its sharp, if it scratches its blunt).

So bulk buying hooks and changing regularly is the way to go?, if I am reading the reponses correctly.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lead lift is the way to go, but its adding more bits to the rig.
Anyone know where to get kamasan b940's in bulk or 100 boxes?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I am intrigued as to why you're suffering from this so much if you're looking at buying hooks in boxes of 100 (although I'm all for buying in bulk and saving a few bob). Where are you fishing?

The steepest beaches around here are Aldeburgh and Orford and I've not had massive issues there using Sakumas. I have had sessions elsewhere where there was loads of shingle being moved around and the line (and presumably) rig was getting buried but even then I only went through a few and that was a one off.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just local beaches, Hopton corton etc.
Seriously I am concerned too now, I think maybe its a poor choice of hook, they do look battered after a couple casts!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Hmmm, strange you're having so many issues pal. I'm based in Lowestoft so have fished up that way a bit, although I do tend to go south more often than north.

I used to use Nordic Bend and had a few issues with them becoming blunt quite quickly, I've since changed to Sakuma Manta, which is a much better hook. I still get the odd one that looks like somebody has taken a hammer to the point but it's one, maybe two a session if you're unlucky.

Although the lead lifts mentioned earlier will help to get the rig off the deck they can hamper casting a touch and those beaches, in fact most beaches around here, do fish better at distance.

Don't know what to suggest, unless you're using some mental rig that asks for trouble, although I can't actually think one that would give you issues. Try changing hook pattern and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, strange you're having so many issues pal. I'm based in Lowestoft so have fished up that way a bit, although I do tend to go south more often than north.

I used to use Nordic Bend and had a few issues with them becoming blunt quite quickly, I've since changed to Sakuma Manta, which is a much better hook. I still get the odd one that looks like somebody has taken a hammer to the point but it's one, maybe two a session if you're unlucky.

Although the lead lifts mentioned earlier will help to get the rig off the deck they can hamper casting a touch and those beaches, in fact most beaches around here, do fish better at distance.

Don't know what to suggest, unless you're using some mental rig that asks for trouble, although I can't actually think one that would give you issues. Try changing hook pattern and see if that helps.
Will try the b940's they seem popular, also maybe I could reel faster but always worried I could lose that longed for sole!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi mate
I have carried and used a hook sharpener for years. It's true you can't sharpen a chemically sharpened hooks very successfully. Older hook patterns like vikings and non chemically sharpened aberdeen's come up like new. You might also try lead lifts to get your rig away from the bottom earlier.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Never sharpened a hook in my life , when they are blunt they are ready for the bin
Same here.

However I also discard any hooks that I use at the end of any session.

Hooks are cheap and cheerful to buy so I will not take a chance on losing the fish of a lifetime for the sake of a few pence.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies, think I will go for bulk buying hooks and change snoods on each used rig after each session.
And invest in some lead lifts!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Try tying one with a knotless knot, easy to tie, Google it.

You'll see that if you drag the hook along with the line, the point turns inwards, should snag less.
I have used the knotless knot reugularly in my coarse fishing and it is a great knot for bolt rigging, which is essentially what most seafishing with bait consists of.
I will give it a go.
Still all the puzzled replies leave me to feel I am still doing something wrong! Maybe retrieve speed, but not keen on pulling hooks out of a sole when I eventually hook one!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I have used the knotless knot reugularly in my coarse fishing and it is a great knot for bolt rigging, which is essentially what most seafishing with bait consists of.
I will give it a go.
Still all the puzzled replies leave me to feel I am still doing something wrong! Maybe retrieve speed, but not keen on pulling hooks out of a sole when I eventually hook one!
The knotless knot has nothing to do with bolt rigs Scott, hair rigs yes, but not many people use hair rigs for sea fishing :)

The thumbnail test doesn't seem to work the same most of the time with Sea hooks as it does with Carp hooks, dunno why, I gave up on trying that method and just feel the point for sharpness, I've sometimes used the same old rig for 2 years, hooks still sharp enough to catch, not ideal, was just an old rig or two in the back of the rig bag when I got lazy.

AL ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts