World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When making your own rigs what size hooks do you use.I no your going to say it depends on what fish your targeting,but just in genral if your going out for a bit of a see whats about mission.Thanks

·
TEAM FORESHORE
3,960 Posts
anything between size2 and 3/0 normally the smaller hooks for scratching rigs (2 or3 hook flappers) and 2/0 3/0 on pennel pulley rigs for bigger fish but saying that i seen a 19lb conger taken on a size 4 hook with just a bit a ragworm on it so as you say depends what your fishing for hope this helps :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

·
TEAM FORESHORE
1,793 Posts
anything between size2 and 3/0 normally the smaller hooks for scratching rigs (2 or3 hook flappers) and 2/0 3/0 on pennel pulley rigs for bigger fish but saying that i seen a 19lb conger taken on a size 4 hook with just a bit a ragworm on it so as you say depends what your fishing for hope this helps :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
what this ledgend said lol...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
depends on size and type of bait rather than size of fish

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for info.Prob be using rag and lug and would use second setup for bigger baits.

·
Registered
399 Posts
i like size 2's or 1's for worm. good size for most fish really. :fish:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
3/0 to 8/0 hardly ever use anything smaller...

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
1/0 is uaually regarded as an all round size.

small enough to get some of the smaller fish but strong enough to hold the odd larger fish.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again gents,quite a varied response.Dont no if im more confused now or before.:huh:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks again gents,quite a varied response.Dont no if im more confused now or before.:huh:
Choose the bait type and size to suit the type and size of the fish you are targetting and then choose the hook size to suit that bait.

If you are not targetting anything in particular then there isn't a simple answer!

·
Registered
225 Posts
1/0 is uaually regarded as an all round size.

small enough to get some of the smaller fish but strong enough to hold the odd larger fish.
I agree with dabcatcher. If fishing for whatever is there a 1/0 can take a worm bait fine and as long as you present a smallish crab bait carefully it should be fine for that too.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
When making your own rigs what size hooks do you use.I no your going to say it depends on what fish your targeting,but just in genral if your going out for a bit of a see whats about mission.Thanks
If I may digress a little from sea angling.....

I have caught Rainbow trout to 14 1/2lb on a size 12 hook.

That is miniscule in comparison to sea hooks but the point is that you don't need big hooks to catch big fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts