World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish my local beach at rainham quite regularlyand wondered why i kept loosing fish some big some small. Well iwent fishing this week with Miz git ie JOHN i put one rod out with my normal 1.0 kamasan 940, and one rod with no 4 circle hooks, bait being lug and rag. I found it very hard to put the bait on the hook. Very time consuming and messy,any help in this area would be helpfull. But every bite on rod with circle hooks landed a fish.As the rod with the 1.0 kamasan missed quite a lot .MORAL OF STOREY i have fished some thirty years and still learning:wheelchai 007

·
Registered
871 Posts
I fish my local beach at rainham quite regularlyand wondered why i kept loosing fish some big some small. Well iwent fishing this week with Miz git ie JOHN i put one rod out with my normal 1.0 kamasan 940, and one rod with no 4 circle hooks, bait being lug and rag. I found it very hard to put the bait on the hook. Very time consuming and messy,any help in this area would be helpfull. But every bite on rod with circle hooks landed a fish.As the rod with the 1.0 kamasan missed quite a lot .MORAL OF STOREY i have fished some thirty years and still learning:wheelchai 007
i had a similar problem last night, changed the cheap hooks that were on the premade rig for some nice new mustad ones, problem solved!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I used half circle hooks quite a bit last year and had some success with hooking certain species. They seemed to work well with dogs, pout and thornbacks hooking them straight in the side of the mouth. I missed loads of bass bites on them though which put put me off using them.
I used mackeral,bluey and crab all sat well on the hook. I only use Sakuma phantoms or mantas for worm baits now and find my hook up rate a lot better.

What fish did you catch using the circle hooks the other night ??

·
Registered
311 Posts
morning 007,
is it messy even with a bait needle, i mess up lots of lug with the hook.
glenn

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used half circle hooks quite a bit last year and had some success with hooking certain species. They seemed to work well with dogs, pout and thornbacks hooking them straight in the side of the mouth. I missed loads of bass bites on them though which put put me off using them.
I used mackeral,bluey and crab all sat well on the hook. I only use Sakuma phantoms or mantas for worm baits now and find my hook up rate a lot better.

What fish did you catch using the circle hooks the other night ??
Hi captin fantastic bass was main quarry but also had eels and sole all caught just inside of mouth no damage when unhooked:punk: 007

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi fish i have never tried a baiting needle but will give it a go tomorrow as me and miz git are going after some decent bass at marshes :wheelchai:punk: 007
wot,rainham?good luck mate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts