World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

I have a problem with the hooks provided with lures... they rust normally faster than the eels :) and also get blunt. I have a bunch of good selfsetting hooks (you know the ones where the hook point is bent outwards a bit), can these be used for sandeels or do they affect the action?

jan

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Kamasan B940m or the Mustad Viking hooks, although in general most aberdeen patterns between 2/0 and 4/0 should do depending on the size of redgill used. You should be able to bend these out of a snag if you have to, and hopefully the hook will bend out before the line snaps. I always make my jellywormin, shad or gilling traces out of 20lb Berkley Vanish nowadays. It seems to be a bit stiffer than normal mono, plus it is supple and knots very well. I am not sure if the fact it has a low reflective index and is almost invisible to fish helps, but its definately worth a try.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hmm,, the O'Shaugsey hooks are a bit to strong in my opinion as they wont bend out of snags as easily. Aberdeen patterns are cheaper aswell, which is a better idea as if your gear catches on the bottom hooks will become blunted very quickly and may need changing frequently throughout the session.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I suppose it all depends on the size of the eel you fish with. I have a few large 175mm Redgills which have a 1oz barrel lead inserted into them for casting, although not perfect it seems to work for the bass spinning. I have thought about using a hook which comes out the eels back? I know the Storm Shads have this to prevent snag ups. I am unsure if this will affect the eels action though, maybe causing it to turn over or twist. If you have any ideas on this i would be greatful as i can see that perhaps it may not work.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so aberdeens it will be! I do have the feeling they are in general a bit sharper than o'shaunahowyoucallthem. at least in the beginning and they are cheaper!

thanks a lot guys!

jan

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
so aberdeens it will be! I do have the feeling they are in general a bit sharper than o'shaunahowyoucallthem. at least in the beginning and they are cheaper!

thanks a lot guys!

jan
just make sure you dont use cheap ones. use a good quality make you you can reley on.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Spot on DC is you use a cheap aberdeen they have a habit of they top eye opening up under pressure, plus they are also prone to snapping at the shank. Use the Kamasan B940m and you wont go far wrong.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spot on DC is you use a cheap aberdeen they have a habit of they top eye opening up under pressure, plus they are also prone to snapping at the shank. Use the Kamasan B940m and you wont go far wrong.
that's my brand so nothing can go wrong!

Jan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts