World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there,

I have a problem with the hooks provided with lures... they rust normally faster than the eels :) and also get blunt. I have a bunch of good selfsetting hooks (you know the ones where the hook point is bent outwards a bit), can these be used for sandeels or do they affect the action?

jan

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Kamasan B940m or the Mustad Viking hooks, although in general most aberdeen patterns between 2/0 and 4/0 should do depending on the size of redgill used. You should be able to bend these out of a snag if you have to, and hopefully the hook will bend out before the line snaps. I always make my jellywormin, shad or gilling traces out of 20lb Berkley Vanish nowadays. It seems to be a bit stiffer than normal mono, plus it is supple and knots very well. I am not sure if the fact it has a low reflective index and is almost invisible to fish helps, but its definately worth a try.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hmm,, the O'Shaugsey hooks are a bit to strong in my opinion as they wont bend out of snags as easily. Aberdeen patterns are cheaper aswell, which is a better idea as if your gear catches on the bottom hooks will become blunted very quickly and may need changing frequently throughout the session.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I suppose it all depends on the size of the eel you fish with. I have a few large 175mm Redgills which have a 1oz barrel lead inserted into them for casting, although not perfect it seems to work for the bass spinning. I have thought about using a hook which comes out the eels back? I know the Storm Shads have this to prevent snag ups. I am unsure if this will affect the eels action though, maybe causing it to turn over or twist. If you have any ideas on this i would be greatful as i can see that perhaps it may not work.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so aberdeens it will be! I do have the feeling they are in general a bit sharper than o'shaunahowyoucallthem. at least in the beginning and they are cheaper!

thanks a lot guys!

jan

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Spot on DC is you use a cheap aberdeen they have a habit of they top eye opening up under pressure, plus they are also prone to snapping at the shank. Use the Kamasan B940m and you wont go far wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.