World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone any experience of carrying hooks through hand luggage and know if its aloud or not? I am flying out of Stansted this weekend and I certainly wont be paying to check in a bag with ryanair!

Cheers,
Mark

G

·
This is the list of prohibited items at Stanstead.

I would recommend ringing 0844 335 1803 & ask to talk to security. I've had 14/0 hooks confiscated. I don't know about smaller ones. I've also had to put big game reels loaded with line in hold luggage........

Ryanairs' prohibited list:

8.10.1 Passengers are not permitted to carry the following articles into the security restricted area and the cabin of an aircraft:
8.10.1.1 Guns, Firearms & Weapons; any object capable, or appearing capable, of discharging a projectile or causing injury, including all firearms (pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.) Replica and imitation firearms, Component parts of firearms (excluding telescopic sighting devices & sights), air pistols, rifles and pellet guns. Signal flare pistols, Starter pistols, Toy guns of all types, compressed air and CO2 guns such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles,ball bearing guns, industrial bolt and nail guns, cross bows, catapults, harpoon and spear guns, Animal humane killers, stun or shocking devices, e.g. stun guns, tasers, stun batons,cattle prods, ballistic conducted energy weapons (laser), lighters shaped like a firearm.
8.10.1.2 Pointed/edged Weapons & Sharp Objects; pointed or bladed articles capable of causing injury, including axes & hatchets, cleavers, arrows and darts, crampons (grappling iron, hooked bar of iron, or plate with iron spikes used in mountaineering), harpoons & spears, ice axes & ice picks, ice skates, knives with blades of more than 6 cms including lockable or flick knives, ceremonial, religious and hunting knives, made of metal or any other material strong enough to be used as a potential weapon, meat cleavers, machetes, open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge), sabres, swords and swordsticks, scalpels, scissors with blades more than 6 cms as measured from the fulcrum, ski and walking/hiking poles, throwing stars, tradesman's tools with a blade or a shaft of more than 6 cms that have the potential to be used as a pointed or edged weapon, e.g. drills and drill bits, box cutters, utility knives, all saws, screwdrivers, chisels, crowbars, hammers, pliers, wrenches/spanners, blow torches.
8.10.1.3 Blunt Instruments: any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including tennis rackets, baseball and softball bats, clubs or batons - rigid or flexible - e.g. billy clubs, blackjacks (truncheon of leather covered lead with flexible shaft), night sticks & batons, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey and hurley sticks, lacrosse sticks, kayak and canoe paddles, skateboards, billiard, snooker and pool cues, fishing rods, martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num-chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Hi all,

Has anyone any experience of carrying hooks through hand luggage and know if its aloud or not? I am flying out of Stansted this weekend and I certainly wont be paying to check in a bag with ryanair!

Cheers,
Mark
You have no chance.....Also if they consider that you have made a deliberate effort of concealment, you could have legal action taken against you. I rate the British security staff as some of the most thorough. (Also with the worst attitude).

·
Registered
380 Posts
wherever your going head to the nearest marina and buy your hooks and end tackle over there .... more than half the price less you pay over here

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
You have no chance.....Also if they consider that you have made a deliberate effort of concealment, you could have legal action taken against you. I rate the British security staff as some of the most thorough. (Also with the worst attitude).
You want to try flying out of Miami Airport with a Bazuka rod container,I was stopped at baggage check in, taken to a side room by armed officers, made to open the tube, then take out each rod,each rod was parrafin tested, then sniffed, then the tube was thoroughly examined, the soft packing I had put in the top and bottom was removed, scanned, exmined and after they decided I was not a suspect so far as the tube was concerned, it all started again with my hold luggage, exactly the same procedure, the small terminal tackle box , the reels, a few sinkers, and a spool of leadcore line I had bought, unopened, was opened, completeley unwound, examined and then I was allowed to eventually repack everything, it was all sealed with airport security tape and taken away, my hand luggage was similarly examined....and I was....never a smile or passing comment came from the security staffs lips.10 out of 10 for being thorough though.I know I look dodgy at the best of times, but that was really taking the p!ss.
Another time coming back from Italy I was again taken to a side room, and my carp rod tube was given the same treatement as above, this time the staff were friendly and curteous, strange thing was that there was a Nun being made to empty all her baggage, and she had a full body search, in a side room, whilst I didnt merit one.
I suppose these days we should be grateful for such care being taken, I would suggest to the USA though, that their airpott staff should at least try to brush up on their people skills .

Dave

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i got stop and checked for having a penn reel in my hand luggage

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
i was travelling last year and used my rucksack as hand luggage which i have occasionally used when bassing....i'd taken everything out of it but forgot 2 4oz plain weights...they were confiscated......

john

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
out of interest, where is the rest of your gear ? why only worry about hooks ?
All my other gear is at the destination, unfortuately the hooks have to travel with me as they cannot be purchased there and it was a last minute order, so delivery had to be the UK for next day. Since my original post, I have contacted security at Stansted airport and the lady I spoke to said it would be fine, so fingers crossed! I will report back after my trip! Cheers for all the replys.......

Mark

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
One of my best catches on a treble hook was a female customs officer when i was a kid,shouldnt of poked around in my fishing bag!!!! LOL A long time ago but i remember she wasnt very happy and went off for a tetanus shot!!!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
All my other gear is at the destination, unfortuately the hooks have to travel with me as they cannot be purchased there and it was a last minute order, so delivery had to be the UK for next day. Since my original post, I have contacted security at Stansted airport and the lady I spoke to said it would be fine, so fingers crossed! I will report back after my trip! Cheers for all the replys.......

Mark
Will be gobsmacked if they allow you to simply walk on the plane with hooks in your bag.
If you just try and wander through security with them I would put money on them being confiscated IF they are spotted (but don't try to hide them or you may also be confiscated!).

You are far better off declaring them at the check in and having them sent on to be looked after by cabin crew until you leave the plane at the far end.
Politely explain your situation and you should be helped by them.
When I was much younger, before 9/11 I forgot my filleting knife was in my hand luggage. It was an obvious error on my part as my luggage was almost exclusively fishing gear. Cabin crew looked after it for me with a smile.
Post 9/11 I think you will need to be much more careful or risk losing your gear.

You are mad not to have simply posted them on.

DON'T Try and get them through security.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Traveled Glasgow to Shannon (Eire) in the bad old days thirty years ago.
Had filleting knife confiscated at Glasgow and told it would be returned at Shannon, but they could not locate the knife.
We kicked up a fuss and were taken to a room and told to help ourselves from a box of knives that had previously been confiscated.
Ended up with two filleting knives and a divers knife, which I still have.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Me, being clever, cost me dearly: At Belfast security I was declined passage until I either put all three expensive reels in the hold luggage, or unspooled all the line from them and threw it away. Apparently, a determined person might have time to plait 12lb mono into a strong rope during the 45-minute flight, and where would we be then, eh? Eh? Apparently, "Where I want to be, but with a load of buggered line" was not the correct answer at all, and we played the what-else-has-he-got-in-there game until they got bored.

Me, being thick, got away with it: At Gatwick one time my hold luggage was a fraction overweight, so I grabbed my "Go Box", a tupperware that goes most everywhere with me, as the heaviest item from the suitcase and unthinkingly stuck it in my hand luggage. Then I got given the special room at the scanner, with a very polite but serious man enquiring why I wanted to take three knives, ten yards of paracord, a small pharmacy, tinder, a compass and god knows what else in it into the plane. He was joined by another who immediately asked if I was ex Forces with a go box like that? Phew, saved by the bell, both blokes couldn't have been more helpful after that. Kept me mouth shut on the "Oh yes, Corporal in the Iraqi army" joke as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If in doubt you need to put it in the hold.
There is also a lot of the rules and regs open to interpretation.
Braid seems to be the most inconsitant.Travel in a party of 24 going to Norway. Some had reels with braid on and got told it would need to go in the hold, others in the party sailed through.
Same went for 400 gram pirks, but none had hooks on.
Flew to Cork from Stansted and had no problem with reels and braid on the way out. Coming back and was told it had to go in the hold.
Hooks I would think a no go, so you will need to have a hold bag, or just buy tackle whilst you are over there.:thumbs:

·
Registered
942 Posts
:g: Going to Greece I had all reels with line on, all hooks and all knives and scissors removed from my bag. Fortunately I was in a position to put it in the hold luggage. Play safe and pack it with the cases.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.