World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelled down from Oxfordshire, Saturday afternoon, with my youngest son and the dog, thinking about a codling but knowing we'd have to be lucky, and would settle for anything that swims!!
Collected some fresh blowlug, as well as buying some ragworm and squid to go with some frozen blacks from the freezer. We arrived at Hordle around 6.30, looked down onto the beach to see two fellow anglers already fishing but an otherwise empty beach. We set about getting dressed for the weather and turned round to see two lights coming back across the car park. "Don't bother mate, weeds horrendous". They were 'Solent' anglers who'd come west to try and avoid the weed carpetting the Solent beaches, but to no avail, three casts each had resulted in two huge piles of weed, regardless of distance, and they decide to cut their losses and return home. What to do ? I'd picked Hordle as I hoped the cliff would protect us from the worst of the forecast wind and we'd have a reasonable depth of water, and the weed would be managable!

Decided to give it a go and see what happened, high was around 10.00 and with luck the weed would ease then.
Fishing by 7.00 with three rods and various rigs, all fished at short range (20 yds) and we picked up a nice plump plaice after about an hour. Result, very happy and something to justify our effort. Continued fishing close in and my lad then caught a nice whiting, so he was delighted. We were able to fish at distance for an hour around 10.00 but as soon as the tide changed the weed returned and swept our rigs westwards. I noticed a rattle on one of my rods as I dealt with weed on the other, which resulted in a lovely 2lb sole. Now, very glad we gave it a go!
Continued until midnight, when we picked up another large whiting and decided to pack it in.
All the fish came to either blow lug or the frozen blacks, any cocktail or single bait containing rag or squid was ignored completely.
Two happy anglers returned home with a few fish, glad they had chosen to stick to the plan, although it would have been easy not to.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well done to sticking with your plan,persistance paid off.

G

·
U found out that hordle can be a nightmare for weed and a strong tide makes it even worse but u did ok there , decent sole and good report , just watch out for the smaller tides at hordle which are better re weed and tide pull

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.