World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Good info suggests that St Brides Bay beaches have been showing a lot of bass recently. One guy apparently had 5 in one tide - all over 3 lbs - on lugworm. Rag or razor would probably yield similar results.
If you want to keep on catching then please exercise some restraint and only keep a couple of fish.

On a darker note, info has reached me about a fisherman in Porthgain who intends to start trawling close inshore for the bass along our local beaches (e.g. Newgale). Apparently he has acquired the kit he needs and its legal. Now I object to this. What right has one person to potentially wreck the local bass population?
If anyone can point me in the direction of someone who supplies such items as rocket launchers, grenades and limpet mines I would be most greatful. Seriously. (No, not really).

Yours looking-forward-to-catching-some-bass-while-they-still-exist-and-regretting-the-current-pr
otected-status-of-ignorant-fishermen,

Rhod.

&nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Cheers for the information Rhod. Its disgusting to see that one ignorant person is spoiling the fun for countless others. Im sure that trawling so close to a beach that is well used by surfers and other water sports enthusiasts is not allowed further more if we want to do some thing about it the best method is via local government. We should create a petition and place it in all relevant places to gain as much support as possible. Government listens to numbers as they mean votes and im sure that if the county council felt that such fishing activitie was damaging local tourism that fisherman would not have any chance of raping the area.</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys ,If you remember I posted a similar problem at Aberavon of the trawlers , Perhaps we could organise some sort of protest "Perhaps "get people to sign a petition on this site after all 774 hits on the welsh scene alone theres plently of people looking in just a thought
</font>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi mate,

Great idea. If someone was proposing to do the same around my local fishing grounds I would also be outraged. If you go ahead with developing a petition then you can rest assured of my support for a signature against any near shore trawling like activities.

Personally, I think trawlling, netting or any other cathments of mass destruction should be outright banned. The fish populations through the decades have been decimated through pollution, trawling and habitat destruction.

I am sure, if well co ordinated you could gain a few hundred signatures from these forums.

Dan

·
Registered
374 Posts
So was a petition made up? And did the guy get stopped from netting close in shore?
I do realise this thread is 6 years old. I'm just interested
:thumbs:

·
BSAC
696 Posts
I like to read about the current news on the coast :p I wish it was 2004 again :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crikey! i remember fishing the beach at Aberavon 30 odd yrs ago and seeing a small independent trawler/drifter netting about 150 yds in front of our position. My mates dad tried to remonstrate with those on board but to no joy. What they (boats) don't understand is, is that shore anglers are prone to the odd crack-off.. k-w-i-m (know-what-i-mean).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts