World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have been wanting for a while now to catch a hound, something different for me to catch, and after reading everyones posts i see that they are around, does anyone have any advice as to the best way to get one etc? and where i can get peelers from or whatever i need? im slowly learning so any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hounds are fairly easy to catch especially when they are around in huge numbers like down Ferring the last 4 nights.

Rig wise it doesn't really matter whether it's a Pulley rig, Paternoster, Running ledger, as long as you've got fairly heavy snoods because of the abrasion damage they cause, I use 40lb. Some people use massive hooks and big crab baits, I prefer to use smaller baits and therefore need a smaller hook, a strong pattern is a must and Mustad Big Guns or Tronix Big Dogs in sizes 4-1's are ideal.

Some tackle shops sell fresh crab, most have frozen of some sort, failing that have a look under worthing pier, under rocks on the beaches, just not in my traps up the river!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hounds are fairly easy to catch especially when they are around in huge numbers like down Ferring the last 4 nights.

Rig wise it doesn't really matter whether it's a Pulley rig, Paternoster, Running ledger, as long as you've got fairly heavy snoods because of the abrasion damage they cause, I use 40lb. Some people use massive hooks and big crab baits, I prefer to use smaller baits and therefore need a smaller hook, a strong pattern is a must and Mustad Big Guns or Tronix Big Dogs in sizes 4-1's are ideal.

Some tackle shops sell fresh crab, most have frozen of some sort, failing that have a look under worthing pier, under rocks on the beaches, just not in my traps up the river!
thanks for the advice, but when i said im still learning in have no idea what a pulley rig, paternoster or running ledger is, always used what my dad taught me or 1 up 1 down, i dont no the technical stuff yet as still learning, and a mustard big guns and tronix big dogs? sorry but im sure after some research i will understand this a little more and relise its great help to me, thank you very much for the advice! now off to research!

·
Registered
70 Posts
you should really try to get copys of wsf magazine read steve almarks tips amongst others ive been fishing for over 40 years and still learning !!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
thanks for the advice, but when i said im still learning in have no idea what a pulley rig, paternoster or running ledger is, always used what my dad taught me or 1 up 1 down, i dont no the technical stuff yet as still learning, and a mustard big guns and tronix big dogs? sorry but im sure after some research i will understand this a little more and relise its great help to me, thank you very much for the advice! now off to research!
This site may help you with your rig knowledge

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/rigs.htm

Andy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice, how long are the hounds around for? tempted to go to ferring to give it a go but from what i have read it appears to be really busy! and after i had a guy tell me i needed help with my casting a while ago even after casting further than him and getting myself a nice 7lb bass i dont like packed beaches now! so are they around more certain months or do they just move on? thanks again for the advice so far, been doing alot of reading!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
they wont be around for much longer. not in numbers anyway.

get yourself down to selsey west beach. we had around 25 between 3 of us last night. it was manic. any sort of crab bait 50 yards plus and your get one

·
Registered
872 Posts
thats it....they may even be gone (in numbers) as the tide sizes drops till next year
..they did this time last year.....
youve had 3 months to catch one!!! lol ...ive had well over 40 this year lost count ..i've actually had enough now!!

did west beach yesterday and had 13 smutts, mate steve record smutt champ had around the same and mate stan had 8 .. so nearly 40 between us in 3 hours. and lost around 4 each !!!

think i managed the biggest @13 lb 1oz

Another cracker.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts