World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve fished Withernsea North today with my lad.
Wind has been W,SW fairly light giving nice calm conditions. Water didn’t have loads of colour.
Had all fish with rag tipped with squid.
Had some frozen peeler on the go but nothing.
Seen a few coming out on shrimp. Was thinking about giving that a try but would need to get a net I guess.
So I wonder what else I could do to up my chances?
AC285789-A6E4-4199-9FBE-B680799C1851.jpeg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well done on the hound. They tend to show on the crab early season but they move onto the shrimp when the initial crab moult slows. If you are planning on fishing for them at this time of year it’s worth investing in a push net & go after a few shrimps.
30 should be plenty for a tide. As seasons change they may move onto crab again or squid. I used to fish for them on the Lincolnshire coast. It was crab all the way. Then they seemed to get wise to shrimp & squid + pups on the rag. I also fish for them when I visit family in Pembrokeshire. Again early season they can be preoccupied on the crab. As it warms up there’s plenty of pups close in on the rag. Strangely squid picks up the better fish. Rarely get a take on the shrimp.
Hope this helps. Only my opinion, others will I am sure have more to add.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
Interesting I’m certainly tempted.
How long do they hang around for?

·
Registered
50 Posts
How long they stay depends on the weather. They can stay around until September but If we get unsettled weather they will move off earlier. On the flip side I’ve had them on the Lincolnshire coast in early October.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I should have said they are a very mobile fish. Sea conditions can look same for days on end but one day they will show, the next they may be miles away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have said they are a very mobile fish. Sea conditions can look same for days on end but one day they will show, the next they may be miles away.
Yes, I’ve tried to get out a calm day and I’ve seen them moving in packs, looking down the beach, folk are pulling them out at the same time.
Here’s hoping for a bigger one, there’s still time left then..
Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mucker had 2 around 10lb fishing at Spurn Road on Wednesday.
Nice one Gipsydavy, thought a few had come out further south. Planning a trip on Monday Easington way but I’m guessing the tide will be too strong looking at Monday’s tide. Any idea how far south I can get on a big tide. Guessing I’ll get either washed off or not hold the bottom?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Certain spots at Easington are ok on big tides, more so near the slope. I've always found I can hold out reasonable well unless there's a big sea on, then it's hard for everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts