World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a difference a week makes..........at 11 am last Tuesday I was just heading into theatre at St Thomas' London to have a patch put in my heart (routine rather than really bad stuff chaps) and 11 am this Tuesday..........I am walking down the shingle at Hove with my good buddy FNB as wingman on a spotty hunt ! MikeO had suggested the L Z and confidence was high, especially after the weekend reports.
However, the wind had flipped onshore and it was a tad surfy with some nasty colour to about 120 m out.
P1010061.jpg
It didn't start well for me......key part of beach rest missing presumed lost at Seaford and spare rest completely ferknackered. Thank goodness for the trolley !
So a change of tactics looking at the conditions early doors, 1 rod 2/0 single hook rig squid head and black and a 2 hook size 2 flapper beaded up on the big stick, fresh Prime lug and ragworm and squid tips.The L T adopted a similar approach.
So the next 5 hours, yes I did say 5 hours, not a touch,sniff,rattle,tiffle or bite of any description.
Judging by the rod forest to the East towards King Alfred ( you guys really must be the best of mates, fishing so close together) we did wonder if Mike had sold us a pup.
Then, an hour before high we saw 3 plaice come in to the guys immediately to our left. The breeze had dropped away as had the colour in the water. Next chuck despite no bite registering I had a 30cm Plaice on the beach, phew !
P1010064.jpg

In the next half hour I had 2 more, same size like peas in a pod, they were small keepers so back they went. They all came to my last plan bait, frozen black with a squid tip
The L T struggled manfully on for no reward. An attractive lady stripped down to a bikini just behind him and then...........went in for a swim ! So it wasn't all bad ! Sadly, that was the only thing the L T saw that swam all day !
P1010066.jpg
She was bigger than a 34 as well !
P1010068.jpg P1010070.jpg
The tide turned and it seemed like the plaice just upped sticks and left. The only bite that I saw on the day resulted in a 4th at 34 cm which was kept for Mum's tea. MikeO had come good.
So 4 spotties for me, all on the big stick belted out, and a big bite from the Blankerwolf for the LT, bummer.
However, great day, good weather, some good banter and some Lisa work done. Thanks for keeping your eye on me my old mate, gutted you didn't catch.
Hallowed shingle beckons on Friday !
Tight lines guys
Stevo 'patch' T

Reactions: Barnesy1969

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice write up Steve. Glad you got a few spotties. Shame fnb blanked but at least he had something to look at on a nice sunny day! :) Every time I fish Hove that lady turns up and goes for a swim.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Routine the op might have been, but still must be good to be over it and back on the shingle!

I joined the madding crowd a couple of groynes to the west of the King Alfred about three hours before HW. Very slow for the first hour or so, and then it kicked off with a 34cm spotty, and it was pretty steady then with I think nine in total; four coming in the last hour of my parking ticket after high tide. Kept two for the table today; they were a bit smaller than last week.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice write up Steve. Glad you got a few spotties. Shame fnb blanked but at least he had something to look at on a nice sunny day! :) Every time I fish Hove that lady turns up and goes for a swim.
Mike
That's what you meant when you said it was a good 'spot' . Cheers, real shame for L T.
Thanks bud, catch up again soon.
Stevo T

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Routine the op might have been, but still must be good to be over it and back on the shingle!

I joined the madding crowd a couple of groynes to the west of the King Alfred about three hours before HW. Very slow for the first hour or so, and then it kicked off with a 34cm spotty, and it was pretty steady then with I think nine in total; four coming in the last hour of my parking ticket after high tide. Kept two for the table today; they were a bit smaller than last week.
Hi Mate
Thanks, yes it was good to get it done, should give a me good few more years of proper shingle time. Top team up there to be sure.
Yep, there were more pendulums down that way than in the biggest clock shop in the world. We seemed to be at the extreme edge of activity although a guy on the beach to our right did have one about 6.15.
Glad you got a few too bud.
Cheers
Stevo T

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Steve/FNB, I have been highly jealous all day and Steve thanks for the coms to keep me in touch. Fnb, feeling for you, and Steve congrats on your four. Guess the big stick is what's needed. Hoping I ca joing you back on the hallowed shingle Friday evening. Also glad all went well!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Mein Kapitan, It was good to fish with you in the Hovian sector, really good that your op did not affect your ability to fish.
I must of been right on the end of the catching zone, one fish to the right of you, either that or I have caught the Tappy no flat fish syndrome.
Great day, great company, lovely weather and some-out-standing scenary.

See you soon mate
Tony

·
Registered
467 Posts
What a difference a week makes..........at 11 am last Tuesday I was just heading into theatre at St Thomas' London to have a patch put in my heart (routine rather than really bad stuff chaps) and 11 am this Tuesday..........I am walking down the shingle at Hove with my good buddy FNB as wingman on a spotty hunt ! MikeO had suggested the L Z and confidence was high, especially after the weekend reports.
However, the wind had flipped onshore and it was a tad surfy with some nasty colour to about 120 m out.
View attachment 202394
It didn't start well for me......key part of beach rest missing presumed lost at Seaford and spare rest completely ferknackered. Thank goodness for the trolley !
So a change of tactics looking at the conditions early doors, 1 rod 2/0 single hook rig squid head and black and a 2 hook size 2 flapper beaded up on the big stick, fresh Prime lug and ragworm and squid tips.The L T adopted a similar approach.
So the next 5 hours, yes I did say 5 hours, not a touch,sniff,rattle,tiffle or bite of any description.
Judging by the rod forest to the East towards King Alfred ( you guys really must be the best of mates, fishing so close together) we did wonder if Mike had sold us a pup.
Then, an hour before high we saw 3 plaice come in to the guys immediately to our left. The breeze had dropped away as had the colour in the water. Next chuck despite no bite registering I had a 30cm Plaice on the beach, phew !
View attachment 202395

In the next half hour I had 2 more, same size like peas in a pod, they were small keepers so back they went. They all came to my last plan bait, frozen black with a squid tip
The L T struggled manfully on for no reward. An attractive lady stripped down to a bikini just behind him and then...........went in for a swim ! So it wasn't all bad ! Sadly, that was the only thing the L T saw that swam all day !
View attachment 202396
She was bigger than a 34 as well !
View attachment 202397 View attachment 202399
The tide turned and it seemed like the plaice just upped sticks and left. The only bite that I saw on the day resulted in a 4th at 34 cm which was kept for Mum's tea. MikeO had come good.
So 4 spotties for me, all on the big stick belted out, and a big bite from the Blankerwolf for the LT, bummer.
However, great day, good weather, some good banter and some Lisa work done. Thanks for keeping your eye on me my old mate, gutted you didn't catch.
Hallowed shingle beckons on Friday !
Tight lines guys
Stevo 'patch' T
Hi guys, if only I had known it seems you were just to my right, could'nt believe it when those 2 guys pitched up close to my left I thought here's a recipe for crossed lines and maybe words but luckily they could cast straight. Well done on your catch.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nice report. Well done on the plaice. I took the boys down to the marina on Monday hoping for a plaice myself. My baits however remained untouched. But had great fun catching mini species down the edge. Daniel winning the say with 5 species including a little pollock.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
If your going to fish Brighton and Hove beaches regularly your going to have to learn to not stare like that. Coz when the summer proper comes, you will never see a bite.... Why do you think I mostly touch ledger.......... :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Nice spotty and report Steveo, very innovative with using the trolley as a stand, you could be on a space/weight saving winner there for next time! Just don't tell shakespeare or Goldsy

Hopefully the blonde bird didn't blow that patch off!

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mein Kapitan, It was good to fish with you in the Hovian sector, really good that your op did not affect your ability to fish.
I must of been right on the end of the catching zone, one fish to the right of you, either that or I have caught the Tappy no flat fish syndrome.
Great day, great company, lovely weather and some-out-standing scenary.

See you soon mate
Tony
L T
It's normally just a dab Jonah me ! Truly outstanding scenery indeed. New beach rest purchased today, need a degree to work it out ! Rods on the top of the pointy thing in the funny shaped thing, yep that's it.
Thanks again, beat me up at the Burrells in a few weeks time.
Stevo T

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, if only I had known it seems you were just to my right, could'nt believe it when those 2 guys pitched up close to my left I thought here's a recipe for crossed lines and maybe words but luckily they could cast straight. Well done on your catch.
Garry
A bigger tide and that could have been like my grannies knitting in no time ! I think it was a pretty poor show, guys squeezing in like that. I don't even fish that close with my buddies. Glad you had a few too mate.
Cheers
Stevo T

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Great report Steve. Liked the piccies :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Ahhhh that must of cheered up a Bad day.....what time doe's she normally turn up?:wub:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Ahhhh that must of cheered up a Bad day.....what time doe's she normally turn up?:wub:
5.30 yesterday, cheered me uo no end :crazy:

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
5.30 yesterday, cheered me uo no end :crazy:
Nearly fell off your box L T
Personally I think the cameraman should get a mention........very slyly done !
Stevo (snaps) T

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Nearly fell off your box L T
Personally I think the cameraman should get a mention........very slyly done !
Stevo (snaps) T
Did'nt want to drop you in it with the perv police :busted_co

1 - 20 of 21 Posts