World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People who fish the Stretch between King Alfred and HDSA will no doubt have seen an Azerbijani angler named 'Adam' who fishes the stretch every day, mostly a low water.

At first you'd think he's a complete beginner as his casting method (runs up and launch it), rigs (running ledger with 2 snap swivels, 5 ft snood, and rater strange pennel set up with top hook in a loop 6 inches above the other) and gear (£20 rod + reel deal) are not what you'd expect to see from a successful angler. He also uses a big 'army' spade to dig out bib black lug with enormous holes.

However, I reckon he could be the most successful angler this year on that stretch of shore with 20 bass over 2lb + 2 over 4lb (I don't doubt this as I have seen him catch and seen his photos). This may well have taken 80 or so short sessions but the number of 2lb+ fish is still very high - for me only about 1 in 40 in this size on lugworm from these beaches.

I think he is just one of those has the 'knack'.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Interesting post.

There is no doubt that there are many accomplished bassers about - some are on here! Quite a few are loners though, and definately not tackle tarts. Two locals spring to mind...

First was an old guy who would buy his cod and chips, then cycle down to a local beach a mile and a half away, and sit eating them until the waves were lapping a certain section of the breakwater. Then he would launch out his half a mackeral all of 10 foot, and sit down and wait. Often he was fishless, but accounted for several bass over ten pounds in the 5 year period I knew him. Oh, and he had no tip ring on his solid glass rod....

Second is a guy called Ken - most locals from my area will know who I mean. He emmigrated to Spain some years back, but still takes two - three weeks holiday every year to come back and fish the local marks at the end of July. Interestingly, the last three years have been really poor for him here. He was probably the most successfull Bass angler I have ever heard of, let alone known, and in his last few years here before he emigrated, had 4 bass over 14 lbs. He never posted on the net, photographed fish or crowed about what he caught - he just lived for his fishing, and like all the top guys, had infinite knowledge of areas, tide, weather and bait combinations that had worked for him over the years. As a nipper, I first met him round the back of Hurst castle on a sandbar, during a huge spring tide, digging for live sandeels at 2AM in the morning - that was over 30 yrs ago. But he was more than happy with just three baits - fresh mackeral, squid or slipper limpet after a good blow. I would wince when I saw his gear though - again, rough old rods with eyes taped on or missing, but when you are fishing at ranges of 10 - 30 ft, does it matter - NO! I reckon when the tides or conditions were right, he fished 4 or 5 times a week on average, which would include trips at first light after finishing late the previous night.

Mart.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the kind of anglers you're talking about but this guy only started fishing in March and basically made it up as he went along (as I said you can tell by his set up). I don't think he ever got any tips off anyone, just dug some worm on his local beach, chucked 'em out and caught fish, brilliant. If I analyse it more seriously it just shows how important good quality fresh bait is as he only uses freshouts (cos they're cheap).

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
i thought the best bass man left for scotland:1a:
when i first saw the thread i was thinking you were bigging yourself up as you must be up there among the top few

G

·
Everybody knows or has seen one...

There is a guy who fishes next to the run at Mudeford (Hengistbury side) and cycles down with a big bucket of bait. I am told he makes a handsome living from it, always down there....

Also at Branksome there is a guy who fishes almost every day through spring, summer and autumn with the cheapest rod and reel going and I have seen him catch and some tidy photo's of 10+ laid out on the deck on his phone....

I think what most of us lack is the time to devote to fishing and improving our skills, quite frankly i'd fish all day every day if I didn't have to work.... and i'd love it.

There are some cracking fishermen about and every so often you bump into one.

G

·
There's plenty of people at it Buzzer, there's a lot of naughty stuff going on.... I never have, but I think thats because you have to catch one before you can flog one ;)

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
Ive met peeps like that over the years,just go out do there own thing and catch alot of bass,no flashy gear just no what there doing. One forum member who has rarely ever posted,catches alot of bass off the shore round this way,lol had a good bass sesh with him one afternoon,he was moaning all the way home bout how heavy his bag was LOL:fishing::fishing::fishing:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the common thread here is these guys all put the time in
Time Fishing = Knowledge = Fish
Oh more time fishing please:)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Any of you who have read JD's book on Bass Fishing will recall that whilst JD was somewhat a master at his craft, he learnt an awful lot from a guy who made two fishing rods out of tank aerials!:eek:hmy:

If my wife doesn't agree to a pass soon, I might end up trying to claim the "least successful Bass angler in Hove" crown!:1a:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Any of you who have read JD's book on Bass Fishing will recall that whilst JD was somewhat a master at his craft, he learnt an awful lot from a guy who made two fishing rods out of tank aerials!:eek:hmy:

If my wife doesn't agree to a pass soon, I might end up trying to clame the "least successful Bass angler in Hove" crown!:1a:
I can see who wears the trousers in your house (probably the same person as mine) :wub::wub:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i thought the best bass man left for scotland:1a:
when i first saw the thread i was thinking you were bigging yourself up as you must be up there among the top few
Ho ho, I'd like to think I have above average success but when it come to shore fishing for bass in East Sussex I know reckon I know about 10% of what there is to know. I had yet another humbling experience with a rod 'n' line commercial I met who says he used to take 1000 (one thousand) sizeable bass a year from the shore. He says it's not possible now and he'd probbaly only get 300-400!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts