World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a private Angler what would you consider your ideal size boat for what you want to do? Is bigger necessarily better? 16ft? 20ft? 24ft? 30ft +?.

My current Orkney 24 is a superb Sea boat with a decent turn of speed but fishing more than 4 can be a bit tricky due to over half the boat consisting of accomodation/wheelhouse (great for the occasional weekenders tho).

Am toying with the idea of getting a larger boat with more deck-space and trying to justify it and would appreciate some "outside" thinking from fellow Boat Anglers. Cheers Rob

·
Registered
591 Posts
I ran 25ft Arvors for years. I found that 4 people were too many and three or less was best. The trap you fall into is the boat will cost you 5K a year to keep on a marina and insure on the South Coast. Thats £100 a week before you cast off ! I got to a stage where I was going out in weather I didnt want to to justify having the boat. I have now gone down to 18ft {a Raider ) and fish as much as before for a fifth of the price. I can still fish three in comfort and catch as many fish.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The issue you question Rob is exactly why me and the partner went for the Arvor 250AS, all other boats in the price range had less deck space and less wheelhouse space, we fish four fine and have had 7 which is too many, but it depends how much you call comfortable really.

Certainly 4 on the 250 is far more space than 3 on any 18 footer I have had? and I have had a few.

We do like the other benefits though, like our choice had to include an inboard diesel and criuse at 20knots, have enough for an overnight for 2, a toilet, and small galley - oh and the lack of engine box on the floor or at the stern (not outdrive) is a must.

It's all a comproomise but in the end we think we have the best value for money and one thing I never realised would be a great benefit was, subject to sea sickness (which I do not get) we never really have to consider the weather prior to setting off, only if it is fishable not so much safe (within reason ofcourse) but generally it has to be blowing so blatentley hard for us not to sail before it becomes unsafe, something that in previous times you ALWAYS had to consider was the weather, even for the end of the day, now we simply dont in reality as the boat can handle the best of it purely due to its size alone - something you will never have with smaller boats.

Fortunately / luckily running cost is not a major stumbling block at the moment, but we often question "is it worth it, would it be cheaper to charter" and you will question that even with a smaller boat.

The question of the cost of our sport comes up all the time, even on here and what people just have to realise is, if you can not afford it then you will have to compromise, either shared ownership (and its questions) or other ways of affordability - sounds cruel but if you can not afford to indulge then you have to accept compromise?

Suc

·
Registered
614 Posts
Rob,
If cabin and wheel house space are not the biggest deciding factor for a boat but fishing space is then a 7m cheetah marine cat would not be a bad bet. Me, I'm happy with my 18ft Icelander which is big enough for three (at a push) easy to tow and launch and comparatively cheap to run compared to something over 20ft on a mooring or berth.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue you question Rob is exactly why me and the partner went for the Arvor 250AS, all other boats in the price range had less deck space and less wheelhouse space, we fish four fine and have had 7 which is too many, but it depends how much you call comfortable really.

Certainly 4 on the 250 is far more space than 3 on any 18 footer I have had? and I have had a few.

We do like the other benefits though, like our choice had to include an inboard diesel and criuse at 20knots, have enough for an overnight for 2, a toilet, and small galley - oh and the lack of engine box on the floor or at the stern (not outdrive) is a must.

It's all a comproomise but in the end we think we have the best value for money and one thing I never realised would be a great benefit was, subject to sea sickness (which I do not get) we never really have to consider the weather prior to setting off, only if it is fishable not so much safe (within reason ofcourse) but generally it has to be blowing so blatentley hard for us not to sail before it becomes unsafe, something that in previous times you ALWAYS had to consider was the weather, even for the end of the day, now we simply dont in reality as the boat can handle the best of it purely due to its size alone - something you will never have with smaller boats.

Fortunately / luckily running cost is not a major stumbling block at the moment, but we often question "is it worth it, would it be cheaper to charter" and you will question that even with a smaller boat.

The question of the cost of our sport comes up all the time, even on here and what people just have to realise is, if you can not afford it then you will have to compromise, either shared ownership (and its questions) or other ways of affordability - sounds cruel but if you can not afford to indulge then you have to accept compromise?

Suc
My current boat is similar in size to your Arvor, and Sea keeping is not an issue, it handles choppy seas well. My issue is deck space. I regularly have 4 crew and am just pondering the luxury of additional deck space on a larger toy, oops i mean Boat! Have actually fished 6 before but it was tight. 4 is max for comfort tho.

My kids love "sleepovers" in the Marina on the boat so basic accomodation is a must aswell. Its another Boating give n take conandram me thinks!

I have my eye on an Evolution 33 Sport in Plymouth as it has the additional deck-space i want plus some accomodation (all be it not as plush as my Orkney). Have had my Orkney from new and had it fitted out to my own Spec and dont want to regret selling it so i have to make sure i make the right decision.

Thanks all for the replys so far. Rob

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Have had my Orkney from new and had it fitted out to my own Spec and dont want to regret selling it so i have to make sure i make the right decision.

Thanks all for the replys so far. Rob
I would wait another 3 years and then change and I will have the money and a mooring big enough for your boat!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
personally i'd love a 24ft cat with a minimum of 10ft beam. plenty of deck space with a big enough wheelhouse to inc 2 berths.

engines under deck so you get a completely flush deck with plenty of storage and fish holds.

must get my 23ft wilson finished and crack on with my 24ft cat plug.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
rob
as has been said on here many times every boat is a compromise, you must weigh up the undoubted pluses of miss molly, a good nick known boat nice spec and comfy with the possible negatives of selling her and buying afresh. Only you know how important it is to you to have more deck space but for me the positives of knowing you have a good boat in good nick is worth a lot
all the best
greg

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just back from a Bulgarian holiday nightmare Rob (tell you about it later). I have just sold my Orkney Pilothouse 20 and am looking for a new boat. I am checking a replacement on Friday, an unusual 21 ft boat built by boat builders for boat builders, could be perfect. If not, will look at an Aquafish 23, bigger but more expensive to buy and berth/maintain. Having been on your boat, why would you want to sell her, so that you can take out a few more people and not enjoy the fishing yourself, get real !!! Keep the Orkney it's perfect for you unless you have money to burn or want to become a semi charter skipper !!! Will let you know how my boat purchase proceeds, cheers Rusty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts