World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What inspired you to take up Sea fishing or what were your earliest memories?
I started with an orange handline and catching a flounder off Ilfracombe Pier and then watching the 'Waverley' dock when I was 9 yrs old, the rest is history as they say.

·
Premium Member
38,513 Posts
What inspired you to take up Sea fishing or what were your earliest memories?
I started with an orange handline and catching a flounder off Ilfracombe Pier and then watching the 'Waverley' dock when I was 9 yrs old, the rest is history as they say.
Having Poole Harbour on our back door step giving lots of safe shore marks lead to my down fall.

Took a trip down memory lane with my brother Alan just last Monday and fished one of our favourite marks from all those years ago, magic!!

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
pendine mid-60's catching bass like they were the only fish there.

first boat trip has to be a maccy trip from saundersfoot .

fav time in fishing BEATING THE ENGLISH AT SAND POINT in the 1st ever match.oh and catching fish [any fish]lol

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Was about 10, my mate talked me in2 going down ogmore estuary with his dad belive it or not mullet fishing ! didnt catch anything but was hooked.

First boat trip i was 13, b'day prezzy from my parents, welsh lady out of penarth, came home with a 48lb monkfish ! lucky or what lol as some1 else said the rest id history.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi all
Looking at the replies so far seems you all have some past experience to relate to,I only started fishing at the ripe old age of 40 - was nagged into going by a workmate - did my best to get out of it!(thought it was an old farts thing!!!) anyway ended up tagging along and have been - pardon the pun - hooked ever since!!! would fish every day if I could,even after cursing the whole game after a wet,windy blank sess,I'm usually planning the next trip by the time I get back to the car!!
Tight lines all!

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
used to go fishing with me mum and dad on the river severn since the day i was born,but as far as i can remember,did'nt actually fish.as for sea fishing,earliest memories are going to the tt on the isle of man in 1976 when i was 10 years old.we would dig some rag in the harbour at douglas at low tide,then fish different parts of the harbour at high,catching mostly pollock and flounder,though the odd plaice used to show up.also fished the rocks to the right for some decent coalfish and wrasse.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
i started fishing when i was 6 the first fish i remember was a pout from the top of fonty cliffs but i do remember my second and third a 14lb starry and a 30lb+ conger both caught in the summer of 77the smoothie from east aberthaw and the conger that night at the second field at fonty you could say i was well and truely hooked from then on happy days lol tight lines

·
Team Hr jones
5,946 Posts
my grampa took me when i was about 10 years old, first place i remember was cods corner of swansea breakwater, he would only give me mackie for bait he kept all the hard earned dug lug for him self lol.
and i can remember a few mumbles pier trips, it was brill just catching crabs.
i hope there is still some good places to take my grand kids [when or if i have any].
thanks chris brought back some good memories :2::2::2::2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
6 Years Old, Middle of winter, I was more interested in Thomas the Tank at the time, the old man decided that I was in front of the TV too much and that I HAD to start fishing, every sunday we would fish either the cod wall in swansea (I think thats what it was called) or the Pier (where the ferry goes across to Ireland) from that point on I was well and truly addicted, However I did stop for a few years (women, army etc etc). However Im back for good now, my first child is due this Friday and the same fate awaits them whether its a boy or girl

Tight lines

Chris

·
Team Banter
4,845 Posts
my early memories go back to 1970 of me and father going down to the right hand side of nells point casting on to the sand and fishing with small strips of kipper and ending up catching a couple of small plaice,my how times have changed,foreshore.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
due to my uncle being caught up in the fishing life i was only 5 when i bought me my first rod , some of you guys mite know him (clive walker )he is on the NRA for environment-agency, anyway it was my 5th b-day and he came up from greens with a kazner 7ft rod and ryobi spinning reel i still av to this day, we went over the river Sirhowy, caught my first trout abt half lb, i was hooked from that day on. since then ive grown up with him and my dad fishing all sort and the last 10 yrs as been all sea fishing with the odd fly fishing trip just to keep the old men happy.
happy mermories cant beat them.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Fishing when i was a nipper at bowleaze cove weymouth off a little wooden jetty,caught a flounder and was 2 scared 2 take it off the hook so run off back to the caravan with it hanging on the hook for our mam 2 take it off,was well chuffed and was hooked from then on

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
I think i was around 7 years old, it was boxing day when my father and uncle came home from the pub a bit worse for wear. My uncle managed to sit on my favourite prezzy and break it, he then turned up at the house a few days later with a new rod and reel for me and took me to the cardiff forshore where i caught my first cod of 7lb. Iv been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
705 Posts
my first fish on a rod was a minnow from the River Roding in Essex when i was about 7 or 8 i suppose. That's what started it. Coarse fishing with my mates around east London, Essex and Hertfordshire. Transport courtesy of mUm and Dad at first, then public transport and bike, then motorcycles and cars. Branched out into the occasional trip to Southend pier and wherever we went on holiday. Remember a brilliant mackerel trip out of Tenby and one from Whitby when I caught what's still my biggest cod.
Came to Swansea and started fluff chucking for trout with a mate I met here and then back into sea fishing. As long as I can find water, I'll try and catch fish!
Nobby

·
Registered
620 Posts
My first fishing sesh was down Tenby when i was 7, when a guy we met each year down there took me and my father for a sesh just right of the harbour under the lifeboat station. we blanked the 1st time but had some mackerel on the 2nd,and that is that.i kept up the fishing and so did my father for a few years till i was old enough to fish the harbour on my own, my perants never seen me on those :sun: summer days down west.:fishing1::icecream::sun::fish::happy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts