World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am new to fishing as you can tell by my question.
There seem to be so many diffrent types of rigs and so many diffrent opinions talking to other anglers.

I would like to know what rig to use where and does it effect the species you may catch??

I have just started making my own rigs, but i have no idea what ones i need and where i should use them to? I do fish from the rocks, estuary (fowey)

And have just got in to beach fishing! i have been using a 3hook flapper with diffrent size hooks 1/0-3/0 with diffrent baits on one rod and a 1hook clip down rig size 3/0 hook on another, and have been told recently i am doing it wrong and all i should use it a 1hook clip down rig with no beads atc and a size 5/0 hook and just use one bait eg lug.

Please help because i am starting to get really confussed:doh:

cheers and tight lines

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
thats a massive question and you,ll get lots of replies.

you really need someone local to tel you what rigs they use in your area and why they use them. obviously weather, ground and species available will govern which rig you should choose on the day.

hope you get your answers.

·
Registered
426 Posts
do your own thing there are no set rules if you know roughly what species of fish your most likely to be catching then match the hook size to the fish you expect to catch,,,my last trip i was fishing for cod with large hooks and big baits just kept catching whiting so went on to a 3 hook rig with size 1 hooks 1st cast a 3lb codling a couple of casts later another cod of 5 lbs yet the other rod still on a pennel rig with large hooks was catching whiting and dabs :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: just use whatever you want main thing is to enjoy yourself:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
A smaller hook choice would open up the chances of catching a variety of fish.... a lot of the match fishing guys will use a size 4 ( not a 4/0) and they will catch and land big fish. I tend to use size 2 as a compromise or size 1 thicker wire hooks if I suspect bigger fish are about.
90% of my bottom fishing is done with a simple running leger.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I'd say as a newcomer what you're doing at the moment is just right.Play around with different sized hooks,baits,rigs etc,then each time you catch something just note which rig,bait etc that you caught it on.No substitute for the trial and error of experience.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
as a general rule a pennel rig with big hooks (i personally prefer a pulley rig) is for bigger fish. a 2 or 3 hook rig with small or average hooks is usually for anything that swims, often a common match fishing rig.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
as big guy says.should be ok fishing with hook sizes from 2 to 3/0.only go bigger if you are after something big:)

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
Hi i am new to fishing as you can tell by my question.
There seem to be so many diffrent types of rigs and so many diffrent opinions talking to other anglers.

I would like to know what rig to use where and does it effect the species you may catch??

I have just started making my own rigs, but i have no idea what ones i need and where i should use them to? I do fish from the rocks, estuary (fowey)

And have just got in to beach fishing! i have been using a 3hook flapper with diffrent size hooks 1/0-3/0 with diffrent baits on one rod and a 1hook clip down rig size 3/0 hook on another, and have been told recently i am doing it wrong and all i should use it a 1hook clip down rig with no beads atc and a size 5/0 hook and just use one bait eg lug.

Please help because i am starting to get really confussed:doh:

cheers and tight lines
Don't worry too much about the rigs, just try to match the hook size to the baits/ fish you're targetting. There's a load of rubbish written about rigs for certain fish/conditions. A fish isn't gonna turn its nose up at a meal because it's on a flapper rig and not a wishbone!!

I fished a beach with a mate not too long ago, on a dropping tide. We'd both whacked out our different rigs and then gone on to collect bait whilst we waited for low water. We'd become so engrossed in our bait collecting and the tide dropped so much that we could paddle out to our tackle. Guess what?:g: His two hook clipped down looked no different on the sea floor than my wishbone!!

All you should concentrate on is getting the bait out there in a presentable condition. So a clipped down rig is a good idea to get maximum distance (more streamlined).:)
You'd be better advised to concentrate possibly on improving your casting :g: and always use top quality, fresh bait.

Like davefh 12 said, use what you like and just enjoy yourself!!:clap3: :clap2:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
very good thread this one,i love casting but i do it because it used to help me catch fish point i am making you can get real deep into casting but this the same RIGS it does my head in like casting i believe rig choice is a complex issue, diff rigs for movement presentation getting your bait hard on the ground,to me rigs is as important as bait a friend of mine who was a very succesful angler said bait was 80% of succesful fishing i would,nt put it that high up know i would put rigs very high up,believe me rig choice is critical whats the point of having your hook 3ft off the bottom if the fish are feeding hard on the bottom. fishing two rods can help but with todays lug shortages it puts the cost of your fishing trip up. excellant topic
john

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
very good thread this one,i love casting but i do it because it used to help me catch fish point i am making you can get real deep into casting but this the same RIGS it does my head in like casting i believe rig choice is a complex issue, diff rigs for movement presentation getting your bait hard on the ground,to me rigs is as important as bait a friend of mine who was a very succesful angler said bait was 80% of succesful fishing i would,nt put it that high up know i would put rigs very high up,believe me rig choice is critical whats the point of having your hook 3ft off the bottom if the fish are feeding hard on the bottom. fishing two rods can help but with todays lug shortages it puts the cost of your fishing trip up. excellant topic
john
I take your point but it if you're fishing from a beach and casting over, say, 60yds then the rig is gonna be hard on the bottom no matter what variant you're using.:g: If you're dropping your rig down off a pier then you could fish 3ft off the ground.

·
Registered
640 Posts
the hook sizes and lengths should be guaged agains the size of bait you are using e.g. a single lugworm requires a size 4-2 hook whereas a whole peeler crab can be presented on hooks between 1/0-3/0 but a worm bait using 3 or 4 worms can be pennel rigged to improve bait presentation, but i guess it is also a personal thing so try different size hooks and see what works best

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
alot of the rigs are designed to catch the angler and not the fish.

in a match it's worth changing things to get the result. after all a 19cm pout could be £500+ in prize money.

for general fishing it really doesn't matter. maybe use flouro carbon if the water's clear. and go slightly heavier on the snood if fishing for hounds, rays, etc.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
alot of the rigs are designed to catch the angler and not the fish.
Spot on :) If you feel that swapping and changing your rigs gives you the edge though, who am I to argue? It's a funny old game fishing....if you feel confident and using your "lucky" rig/bait/lure whatever, you usually catch!!:g: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say that hook sizes should match a different type of bait,more the size of the bait.You'd have a hard job presenting a 14 inch lugworm as thick as your thumb on a size two hook.Also pennel rigs will only get you into bother if you're fishing in very kelpy areas,where you'd maybe have a better chance of getting your fish back with a pulley rig.No one person's advice on this will be a hard and fast rule as there are so many varied species to fish for and ground to fish over,by far the best idea is just to learn how to make as many rigs as possible and give them a try and see what works for you,and even just what you prefer personally.I fish regularly with half a dozen different blokes and over the same areas yet we mostly use slightly different set-ups with our rigs.Have fun is the main thing.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I mostly use 2 types of rig. The standard paternoster or a sort of flowing trace. The later is best for keeping the bait on or near the bottom when there is a heavy tide running. The rig is used a lot in some parts of the Bristol Channel for winter fishing. It's often shown in books and on the web as a boat rig with a 6ft snood. About 18ins is ok for shore fishing. No need to clip as it sorts itself out in the water.
I slack water I add one of those short white plastic booms to either rig as it will help prevent tangles when there isn't sufficient current about to let the swivel do it's work.
Again there's no need to clip with those even when ground casting.
Whole worms go on a 2/0 or up. 3/0 if I'm catching small fish as that helps stop them swallowing the lot. 4/0 is the usual waiting for a big bass etc hook size. 6/0 for big conger. Bit's of bait can go on anything from a 6 to what ever maybe even as small as an 8.
I don't generally use multi hook/bait traces. Each to his own but I don't think they help or are worth the effort.

The best way to sort this whole area out is to fish with 2 rods and see which set up works. Being from the midlands I often find some anglers won't pass on local knowledge even amongst themselves so I have to find out for myself. In some ways I prefer that but am very grateful for all of the tips I've received over the years in various places. I often go my own way in any case just to see what works.

John

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I take your point but it if you're fishing from a beach and casting over, say, 60yds then the rig is gonna be hard on the bottom no matter what variant you're using.:g: If you're dropping your rig down off a pier then you could fish 3ft off the ground.
hi mate, dont realy agree with you but not gonna argue cant be bothered i usualy put my baits about 130/140yds out depends and certain rigs without doubt lift off bottom anyway its just my opion
john

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
ive noticed a few peaple say things like a you dont wont a pennel
rig you wont a pulley rig! isnt a pennel just a hook arangement
and a pulley rig eerm just that? you can have a pennel clipped on
a pulley! all im saying is a pennel is not actualy a rig!

·
Registered
424 Posts
As someone else pointed out early on in the thread this is a complex subject and it'll generate lots of replies, which is proving to be the case! Anyhow, here's my two cents worth.

I think the best you could do would be to look around at what rigs other anglers are using at the venues you intend to fish. Why not have a chat to some of those who seem more experienced? Or you could join a local angling club and ask the local experts. Most are only too willing to help newcomers. Also, you could ask for advice specific to those venues in the regional forums on this site.

There are many rig designs around and this way you'll cut through the confusion and discover which few you need for your fishing.

Cheers,

John

P.S. It would also be worthwhile checking out the main pages of this website, where there are sections on rigs as well as species - the latter sections usually recommend which rigs to use.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
pulley rigs main reason i know i will get shot down for this but am i bothered no ,the reason why a lot of people use pulley rigs is because they are easy to make up full stop, and you cant blame people for that the pulley rig must be the most used rig out there and it is effective but at times other rigs will totaly outfish this rig,my favourite rig is one up one down flapping to bait clips involved
john

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys
Thankyou for all the tips so far. I Have made some diffrent rigs yeaterday. I made 2/3 hook flappers. 1hook clip down in with diffrent size hooks, pennel rigs, bomber rig, long and low and long range wishbone rig.
I am going to experiment with diffrent rigs at diffrent venues and take note of what i catch. I have been keeping a detailed log of everywhere i have fished this year and the conditions etc,
The beaches i fish are clean sand mostly, but i have started to speak to local anglers and listen to what they have to say!
And i have been out a few times with wormdangler and he has been helpfull.
I will just have to keep going out trying new things and i am sure the amount of fish and species will increase in time.

Cheers and tight lines dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts