World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi I&#39;ve just discovered the joys of see fishing at the age of 45. So I bought a little boat and my boy and I get out into morecambe bay whenever possible, we dont go far out and when we catch it&#39;s more a case of suicidal fish than angling skill. Can anyone give me some advice on what we should be doing. Tackle bait technique etc. I&#39;ve no shortage of enthusiasm, only skill&#33;&#33;</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i do fly fishing, but i have a spinner meant 4 lochs, short,
12lb nylon,
how do i catch fish/what wouylld i catch/what chance do i have in gairloch, west coast of scotland,
got a few spinners, what bait should i use, this is from the beach/harbour/pier.

it&#39;s in the sea, noot good casting rod, sheakspere,
thx,</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Sorry fishy1 cant help you with the scotland side of things perhaps with your equiptment you can try spinning in the lochs or float fishing using a small bubble float. I suggest you experiment with different lures and plugs to find what is most effective. Toby&#39;s arent a bad spinner, dexter wedges are quite effective for bass and mackerel. Try rubber eels behind a light weight this is usually deadly for pollack. Rapala make the best plugs so try a couple of them, these are quite expensive but well worth the expense, if you are on a tight budget try the new ron thompson ranges.

I cant tell you what bait works the best in the area concerned, but you cant go far wrong if you use ledgered ragworm, mackerel or lugworm around the harbour walls. Try float fishing a live prawn on a float rig as this is deadly for bass and pollack.

Spinning or float fishing around the pier can also be deadly for bass and pollack.

If you wish I can go into detail about the methods ive just described. One word of advice try not to use weights of more than 2 oz as they would be too heavy for your type of rod. Experimentation is the best way of coming into contact with the fish.</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Morecambe, the best way of gaining experience and local fishing ground knowledge for boat fishing is to join a local club.

A basic setup would include a 20lb rod coupled with a multiplier and loaded with 18-25lb line. For fixed bait fishing construct a flowing trace in the following order.

1: Create a hook length from about 4ft of 25lb line by tying a hook to one end and a strong 80lb plus swivel to the other.
2: Attach a suitable size weight ie 8oz to a zip slider and run this zip slider with lead attached to your mainline.
3: Add a bead below the zip slider.
4: Tie the mainline to the swivel at the top of the hooklength and hey presto you have a rig suitable for a variety of applications.

A good selection of hooks, swivels, feathers, weights, beads, zip sliders and booms is an adequette selection of tackle to get you well underway.

In the summer months drift with the boat and feather for mackerel and pollack using mustad hokkais or shrimp rigs. The best method for locating the fish is to let the rig tuch the bottom and then slowly wind in line jurking the rod gently until you come in contact with the fish. The pollack will mostly be near to the bottom with the mackerel just above them. Feathering for mackerel is a good way of getting a days supply of fresh bait and also for the coming winter.

If you need any specifics it would be no hassle to describe things in detail, try looking at the rigs section on the main site and reading some of Mikes articles and you wont be far wrong.

Further Hint&#33; Buy an Admirality chart and look for sandbanks which will hold ray, other types of flatfish, wrecks which will hold big pollack, possibley bass, conger, cod etc and reefs where you ca catch just about anything.</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
<font color='#000000'>is it worth fishing for garfish?

i&#39;ve read about therm, i can get mackeral as bait easy, west coast of scotland about this time?</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
<font color='#000000'>?

anyone gonna help me plz?
?</font>

·
Registered
173 Posts
<font color='#000000'>anyone gonna answer me plz?

:[</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Fishy, of course its worth fishing for gar-fish. Try float fishing with a thin strip of mackerel or try using a spinner. The float method should be the most effective</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>has n e 1 tryed dropin mackeral feathers off piers 4 the cole fish ?? &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

It is very effective i caught 8 nd 2 whiting @ blyth pier 2day i used these 4 bout 15 mins. &nbsp;

Cheers
Glen</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>is there a need 2 big casts off piers because u r already surroded by deep water?

Cheers
Glen</font>

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I depends, but on the whole most fish are directly below you feeding on the struts or supports or just out infront of these feeding in the scours left by the tides action.</font>

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I have found bobbing makerel daylites close 2 the pier supports very effective when fishing the tide up&#33;
wot a coinsedence a was with u lol</font>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts