World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and good day to you all, Im a complete newbie to the world of sea fishing. I need some advice please, I've been looking round the site and various posts regarding a shock leader.

I understand they are a must to have, but how the hell do you set one up??

Any advice on setting one up will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Welcome to WSF. :)

Click this link: http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/154/ARTICLE/1292/2006-06-18.html

This will tell you how to tie one, but if you get stuck there's a whole lot more to this site than just the forums, just click on the blue tabs at the top of the page, loads of info there, plenty for you to chew over! (Groan!) :D

If you get stuck or have any questions, let me know. Loads of helpful people on here anyway, most prob have a couple of pages of replies by tonight. :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
A good rule of thumb is that you need 10lbs breaking strain of shockleader line for every ounce of lead you're casting. The length of the shockleader required should be about two and half times the length of your rod.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Tapered shock leaders are good too - about 16lb at one end and 60lb at the other (usually about 13m lenghths) - find them at veals below (Bullet do them too)

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Shockleader.html

If you fish a fixed spool attach a leader to your spare spool and take it with you - saves time if you crack off / loose your leader

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Tapered shock leaders are good too - about 16lb at one end and 60lb at the other (usually about 13m lenghths) - find them at veals below (Bullet do them too)

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Shockleader.html

If you fish a fixed spool attach a leader to your spare spool and take it with you - saves time if you crack off / loose your leader
see i think i see a fundemental flaw in tapered shock leaders
16lb you say at one end 60lb the other
anyone else think the 16lb end is going to let the side down and give the angler a false sense of security
it kinda defeats the purpose of having a shock leader if its weakest point is 16lb

or to put it bluntly its not a shock leader at all but a heavy duty tapered fly cast
can someone explain how that works 16lb- 60lb do you link your lead on the first 4ft of it or what ?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
see i think i see a fundemental flaw in tapered shock leaders
16lb you say at one end 60lb the other
anyone else think the 16lb end is going to let the side down and give the angler a false sense of security
it kinda defeats the purpose of having a shock leader if its weakest point is 16lb

or to put it bluntly its not a shock leader at all but a heavy duty tapered fly cast
can someone explain how that works 16lb- 60lb do you link your lead on the first 4ft of it or what ?
No you connect your lead on the very end (the 60lb end) it is only a few feet of the total length that actually tapers down to approx 16lb (which during the cast is well down the reel by about 25 turns so you still have at least 10 turns of 60lb b.s. on your reel) and this gives a very small knot which doesnt catch in the rings or pick up weed . The only drawback with them is the cost so I am to tight to use them.:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Another great thing about tapered shock leaders, is that the leader knot will be much smaller - which prevents longer casts.

As some of you guys have mentioned, tapered shock leaders is expensive. Personally I use the Sufix Superior line.

G

·
No you connect your lead on the very end (the 60lb end) it is only a few feet of the total length that actually tapers down to approx 16lb (which during the cast is well down the reel by about 25 turns so you still have at least 10 turns of 60lb b.s. on your reel) and this gives a very small knot which doesnt catch in the rings or pick up weed . The only drawback with them is the cost so I am to tight to use them.:)
ah i learnt some thing there thought it went the other way about :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
i was lying in bed last night and realised that ,bit obvious really:oops: :headhurt:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
it is only a few feet of the total length that actually tapers down to approx 16lb (which during the cast is well down the reel by about 25 turns so you still have at least 10 turns of 60lb b.s. on your reel)
Yatoes I'm sure it varies from brand to brand but the Ultima Powerflex tapered leaders are 15 metres long with a full 8 metres of maximum diameter line before the leader begins to taper down over the last 7 metres.

·
Banned
549 Posts
Welcome to WSF. :)

Click this link: http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/154/ARTICLE/1292/2006-06-18.html

This will tell you how to tie one, but if you get stuck there's a whole lot more to this site than just the forums, just click on the blue tabs at the top of the page, loads of info there, plenty for you to chew over! (Groan!) :D

If you get stuck or have any questions, let me know. Loads of helpful people on here anyway, most prob have a couple of pages of replies by tonight. :)
rob, get yer coat!! :schmoll:

The length of the shockleader required should be about two and half times the length of your rod.
or more if fishing from high walls and piers!! i use 4 time my rod length so i can lift fish up the wall if i have to!!

also use a diffrent cocour than that of your main line so you know when your nearly reeled in when fishing in the dark!!!

hth
tightlines
alan

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
:g: lol lobbit - asuming your mainline is around 16lb you get a nice little knot which flys through the rings - provided you tie the right end on of course :)

shockleader knots can be tricky to tie for a beginner but its really easy to tie 2 lines of similar diameter

cheers :)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
or more if fishing from high walls and piers!! i use 4 time my rod length so i can lift fish up the wall if i have to!!

also use a diffrent cocour than that of your main line so you know when your nearly reeled in when fishing in the dark!!!
Two good tips here - the different colour line is also useful during daylight.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your advice. I'll be sitting down Saturday morning to set one up.

If your about on the East coast around the Walton / Clacton area Saturday afternoon and see someone making an arse of themselves on the beach that'll be me!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts