World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a new beachcaster only trouble is im fed up going into tackle shops and wiggling the rod around in a tiny space,i cant get a feel for the rod or what it would be like to cast etc,how did you all choose yours?all the main tackle dealers claim that their stuff is the best but i just cant decide,i bought the last one from a mail order firm,no famous brand just the right length i thought for my hight,i fish rough ground mainly for cod etc....any ideas and why....:g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Rough ground go for a known manufacturer such as Zziplex, Greys, Century or Conoflex. All propuce top class rough ground rods. At the top end of the mrket there will be the Century WR300, Zziplex LT14 and Conoflex Anubis at over £300 a piece. Then for around £200 there is the Greys Nitra, Greys Apollo or Conoflex Nemesis. Cheaper still for £100 you can get a Ron Thompson Axcellerator, an Abu Suveran XP or a Century Tiger 205. These are only a rough price guide and not gospel. Personally i would say Century WR300 if you have the money, next Greys Apollo or Conoflex Nemesis, and if you are on a smaller budget look at the Penn Ruffstuff (a good combo deal) or the RT Axcellerator.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i would say the best way to find a rod that suits you is to try other peoples rods or buy second hand and sell on til you find one you like.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im looking for good bite detection in rough seas with the ability to cast 150 yards or so,price around 150-200.......i tried to cast a borrowed greys platinum on the beach but only managed the most horendous birdsnest ever,lucky it was only borrowed, i either need to be a better caster or the rod was rubbish,odds are against me though,if i dont fall into the sea then its a good cast.........:) ...cheers for all the advise so far

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
the rod you tried is a powerful rod. a bad cast will kick back resulting in nests as said earlier.

if you have not got a good casting style then stay away from stiff powerful rods.

rods from the "match" ranges tend to have softer tips and lend themselves to more varied casting styles without snatching.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thats the point of trying others gear , saved you a fortune by not buying a rod thats probably to powerfull for you at the moment.Try all your friends gear and go from there.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Always a dilema. I solved it by going to Anglia Sportscast when they had a range of Zziplex's there for people to try so I didn't need to fork out before deciding what I wanted. Other members of the club were more than willing to let me try their rods if there weren't supplied models so I tried loads before deciding what to get.

I don't know if all clubs are a friendly as ASC but I'd try a local one and ask people nicely, much better to decide what you like best rather than find out what others like best.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thers no harm in asking most anglers are pretty approachable. I will say though that your opinion can change and if possible try and see the rod inquestion in use. You will never really know how a rod is untill you have owned it a couple of moths and fished with it many times.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Always a dilema. I solved it by going to Anglia Sportscast when they had a range of Zziplex's there for people to try so I didn't need to fork out before deciding what I wanted. Other members of the club were more than willing to let me try their rods if there weren't supplied models so I tried loads before deciding what to get.

I don't know if all clubs are a friendly as ASC but I'd try a local one and ask people nicely, much better to decide what you like best rather than find out what others like best.
you are lucky to have such a place that lets you try out rods and reels,my local tackle shop looks at you as if you were from mars when you build up one of their 16ft rods,crap shop as well,always out of the very thing you want,shouldnt it be legal that in order to open up a tackle shop you must have the required space to let people try the goods before they buy ,there should be a cast and return policy with each quality rod sold,it would give me piece of mind before i parted with 200 notes.Then theres the reel to go with the new rod.......:) i hope it never ends,im like a pig in sh.t,thank you all....tight lines.

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
get yourself an abu suveran xp - sounds bout perfect for u.
good rough ground rod - with bit detection and a forgiving tip to cast!
also get a sl30sh/slx30shv. - good combo and get both for £200!

i could let you try mines - bu im in the royal just now. hope to be out next week!
PS

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
if im choosing any gear then i buy what i know and avoid stuff ive had problems with i would 100% recomend abu ,daiwa mustad or shimano never had any gear from those guys fall apart or fail to deliver unlike other manufacturers
sauveran , supercast, viking all good rods that dont claim to make you irresistable to females or part of an sas elite fishing squad but fish fantastic

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There are plenty of good rods out there which will do the job well as you mention the Daiwa Supercasts, Abu Suveran, Greys GRX-s and many other mid priced rods perform excellently. With owning a Century, Conoflex or Zziplex ts just the crypton factor, they feel special to use and you take pride in owning them. Perhaps it is a bit snobbery and being a tackle tart, but untill you have one you dont know what it is to own such a piece of perfection.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the replies,its been a good help at least i can now narrow it down from hundereds to a select few.......cheers.....:)

·
Banned
56 Posts
Rough ground go for a known manufacturer such as Zziplex, Greys, Century or Conoflex. All propuce top class rough ground rods. At the top end of the mrket there will be the Century WR300, Zziplex LT14 and Conoflex Anubis at over £300 a piece. Then for around £200 there is the Greys Nitra, Greys Apollo or Conoflex Nemesis. Cheaper still for £100 you can get a Ron Thompson Axcellerator, an Abu Suveran XP or a Century Tiger 205. These are only a rough price guide and not gospel. Personally i would say Century WR300 if you have the money, next Greys Apollo or Conoflex Nemesis, and if you are on a smaller budget look at the Penn Ruffstuff (a good combo deal) or the RT Axcellerator.
you missed penn the roughstuff if the old noreaster is anything to go by will be an excellent rough ground rod

i used my noreaster up at beadnell slosh 30 35lb line straight through and belive it or not i never lost a single thing i never even used a rotten bottom and i never had to pull for a break i just cranked away and it came through the weed :notworthy :clap3:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Greys Appollo M2 would suit you well mate i reckon, loads of guts for rough ground fishing but not too difficult to cast and actually has decent bite detection for a meat stick!

G

·
I go and look at rods, then price tags, then go and ask "Her who should be obeyed" , If she says "NO" I throw myself on the floor of the shop, screaming and hollering, complaining about being under priveliged and neglected, this usually works, if not I threaten to leave home, a guaranteed winner :)

hth

Ubd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts