World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like some advice on what other multi owners use to stop the reel sprawling all over the place when your finished your cleaning of it and are putting it to rest? i get a nice neat line lay going on and as soon as i activate the free spool it just goes everywhere.i take it these things should be put into free spool when not in use to save tension on the internals ? i have a supermag xtra btw.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I don,t put my reel into free spool when not using it because it actually compresses the return spring inside so i guess could weaken it overtime ,on ABU multipliers i use a Gemini clip on my leader this clips easily onto the freespool button set the drag lightly and the line stays just where you wind it nothing springing off ,on a Penn 525 i trap the clip behind the freespool lever then carefully tighten the line with a slackened drab again the line stays nice and neat till next time out ,the clips with a swivel attached work better on the Penn.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Yeah, I clip the gemini clip onto the spool release button too, it keeps it all nice and neat. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I attach a rubber band to the Genie Rig clip, loop the elastic over the reel foot and then tighten so there is is just a bit of tension on the line.

·
Registered
11,247 Posts
if you put it in freespool while stored your asking for trouble.

leave it in gear and slightly slacken the drag.

dont slacken it right off just take the pressure off the washers. if you slacken it all the way off you can allow water or oil to get between the washers.

my reels are so full that the swivel on the leader doesnt go between the line and bar anyway so gets trapped against it when not in use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts