World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally managed to procure a decent sized blue drum for use as a livebait tank to keep eels and mackeral in for the summer and i have a vague idea how to get it up and running but was wondering if any of you kind gents wouldnt mind advising me on a decent build pattern or even diagram photos etc on how yours works? i so far have a drum thats about 3ft tall and 2ft wide which maybe slightly bigger than needed so i might cut it down a bit, also i have bought a 360gph bilge pump which i was going to attach to the back of my transom to pump water in and just have a pipe near the top of the tank as an outflow? or do i need another bilge to pump water out again? any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

spike

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I have pictures of mine here

http://www.boat-angling.co.uk/6.html

including the inlet/outlet setup. You need a pump to supply the tank, and an outlet pipe that drains through the hull as pictured. If you don't have or want a through-hull inlet valve you can mount a bilge pump on a bracket on the transom and feed water from there.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
I think this is the definitive thread here, read this:-

How to make a live bait tank from a blue barrel - click here
I believe a lot of home-made live bait tanks are too big and top-heavy. Better to find a container that has a lower profile than a barrel, it keeps the weight lower in the boat (and it is easier to catch the bait!). The key to success is to get the water flow right, then the size of the tank is less important.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys thats really helpfull, will be livebaiting soon now thanks to you thats of course if the weather EVER lets up!!!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
another spin on this,im looking at a rank set up ,simply to keep them alive and usale for next day.simply sea warer,cool and an aireator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts