World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone please tell me what materials i need and a diagram to show the sizes and shape and how to assemble it

M

·
0 Posts
i can tell you how to make a pushnet if you can tell me were i can buy cut to size shrimp net....

M

·
0 Posts
just found your pm... i used to do alot of shrimping using a pushnet. its huge fun. but has to be done in july, august or september, I am trying to find you some details on the net... be back soon

·
Registered
173 Posts
mark-esq said:
i can tell you how to make a pushnet if you can tell me were i can buy cut to size shrimp net....

go to a cloth shop, n get the stuff used for wedding viels, or muslin, their both dirt cheap, and cut to size.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fishy1
thanks for info but would this be strong enough to use as a pushnet

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Hey Harpo,

That article on the site about the push net, does actually have pictures with it. Although they are in old transparancies, so they need to be converted digitally. So i'll try and get em on for the new site.

Mike Jr

·
Registered
1 Posts
any chance i could please get some deatils for the push shrimp net.. i no this is an old post but hopefully somene has some clear instrucitons to make one

many thanks in advance

T

·
0 Posts
any chance i could please get some deatils for the push shrimp net.. i no this is an old post but hopefully somene has some clear instrucitons to make one

many thanks in advance
If you wait a bit then Ill try to get some photos of my net later today or tomorrow and then Ill put some pictures up here if you want?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I used to buy my prawn netting from my local tackle shop, you could try yours...

lighty

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Years ago I aquired a drop net, that in the long run turned out to be absolutley no use at all so I cut the plastic framing and attatched it to a peice of timber then screwed a broom handle down the centre
It isn't the largest net but it does work and I have caught countless flounder and sandeel aswell as the prawns.
[/IMG] the green plastic frame is screwed to the handle for rigidity.
If I were to make another one I would make the handled much longer than a standard broom handle and make the net much wider. The one I have catches enough prawns for bait.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Good link to the shrimping page Chris, here's a couple of observations from expierience that it does not show though.
For those thinking of making their own push net, the Kent/Sussex type as being used by Charlie in the photos, pretty simple to make ,but something you can hardly see, but is fundementaly important, is the' leathers' on the front bar , the netting is threaded on the leading edge with sizal string or corlene and this is then threaded through 10-20 leather loops screwed onto the front bar-this is to produce some 'give' in the net should you foul up on the seabed,without it you will tear the net as sure as eggs is ommelettes! The Hampshire style net with the 'butterfly' shape does not need this as the back stays are made from 'withey' willow which has the natural springyness to overcome this risk. Anyone wanting a source of shrimp netting should contact Bridport Gundry, they are the net suppliers to the commercial boys and have outlets at most southcoast fishing ports.
There is a lot to this old pushnetting mularky , but as Mr Kipper will know, I was taught the finer points as a nipper by a real pro, my old uncle Joe Spedding from Lepe, Hants, Long gone but not forgotten.

Reactions: rodbender

·
Registered
521 Posts
Good link to the shrimping page Chris, here's a couple of observations from expierience that it does not show though.
For those thinking of making their own push net, the Kent/Sussex type as being used by Charlie in the photos, pretty simple to make ,but something you can hardly see, but is fundementaly important, is the' leathers' on the front bar , the netting is threaded on the leading edge with sizal string or corlene and this is then threaded through 10-20 leather loops screwed onto the front bar-this is to produce some 'give' in the net should you foul up on the seabed,without it you will tear the net as sure as eggs is ommelettes! The Hampshire style net with the 'butterfly' shape does not need this as the back stays are made from 'withey' willow which has the natural springyness to overcome this risk. Anyone wanting a source of shrimp netting should contact Bridport Gundry, they are the net suppliers to the commercial boys and have outlets at most southcoast fishing ports.
There is a lot to this old pushnetting mularky , but as Mr Kipper will know, I was taught the finer points as a nipper by a real pro, my old uncle Joe Spedding from Lepe, Hants, Long gone but not forgotten.
If you scroll down towards the end of the page you will see a heading: For Shrimp Nets And Other Fishing Equipment. Click onto this site for a wide range of nets, its got current prices and they are very helpfull, they are based in Scotland, normally takes 48 hours for delivery.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hi harpo, have a look at prawn nets on evilbay, the best ones are made around the rye or hasting area of sussex . Dont buy these though as they charge too much for them. Try contacting anglers den at pevensey they used to do a good line in shrimp nets and also spoon nets for prawns . I always bought mine there until moving to cornwall. If he no longer stocks them i guess he knows a man who does . If you dont have any luck and want to build your own there are several net suppliers in hastings who can supply the net. Would suggest 6 feet is max width unles you have a commercial vehicle. Have caught mackerel, a three pound schoolie bass and dozens of slipper sole in mine over the years. Good luck with your quest!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts