World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a thing for older rods, conoflexs, zippys etc.
I hate having to let someone else do the work, although they do a nice job.
My question is is it worth attempting it myself on a older cheap rod?
Thoughts please

·
Registered
340 Posts
Do it mate, it is a great experience taking to sea a rod built by yourself.
Take your time, there is a bit of learning curve as in everything, read stickies as suggested, and put your hands on the blank.
One small suggestion: try to be as critical as possible with your own work, will force yourself to work in the right way after the first attempts.
A last warning: it may get addictive :D

Enjoy your builds.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys I brought a rod building book other day, tbh a bit over my head but did some research on Google and it's mentioned to be I need of the best books on the subject??? (Probably a load of bs but got it anyway)
I've got a old źziplex 2500lm need a total rebuild

, woodworking

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am no expert but have a go at rebuilds, think you will enjoy the experience especially when finished and you catch a fish on it. Give it a go, you don't know until you try

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am no expert but have a go at rebuilds, think you will enjoy the experience especially when finished and you catch a fish on it. Give it a go, you don't know until you try

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I had the Dale Clemens book more than 30 years ago...you wold be better off reading the 'Stickies' at the top of the rods & Rodbuilding section......
At least,it's all bang up-to-date!

PTR

Reactions: Kai carter

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Think the handle is the bit that scares me the most. Getting it centrally bored and fitted nice and snug closely followed by redoing rod varnish.

The rings are straight forward from experience. Not the best result but worked well enough when congering :)

One suggestion is find a cheapie 2nd hand rod to rebuild to try things out first. That first time through is your largest learning curve. After that - try with the rods you want.. keep the cheapie for trying new techniques.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have rarely rebuilt a rod, but have built a few from scratch, the first was a fly rod, then a nice float rod and then my first true beach caster was built from a kit from Walkers of Hythe. This was the only way I could afford all the rods I wanted, build my own. Learnt as I went along, not too difficult. The end result is your own creation even if it's not as beautiful as some of the works of art seen on here. Anyway have you ever caught a fish that complimented you on the beautiful build of your rod?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm currently looking for a suitable rod, looking for a cheap Cononley which needs a bit/lot of work for my 1st attempt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found it very satisfying, building on an old uptide blank and replacing the reel seat.If you have a swear box handy you will soon accumulate enough for a stay at the Ritz.Worth all the cursing and cramped fingers -just make sure your Hi build mix is accurate!!I found this book very helpful-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beach-Fishe...sr=1-1&keywords=beach+fishermans+tackle+guide
I've just got to get a shed up together to work in and like I said find a suitable blank, an uptide rod would be great, a zziplex sea raider is what Id like to get my newbie hands on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts