World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just wondering how far North bass can be found in the UK on a regular basis.
Just need some info for some biology coursework.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
As far north as Scotland but only the summer migration period and not regular, while on the south coast they are now permanent resident and can be caught off the shore in winter.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
the bass travel a long way, been caught in TIPPERRARY Ireland , now that's a long way to go !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
They used to get caught around dounreay power station due to the warm water outlet there. Wouldn't fancy eating one from there though! Don't know if they still get caught up there, no reason why not tho.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Does anyone know how far south bass travels to..i mean down the Atlantic. I know its popular in Portugal, but what about west Africa? Western Cape surely is cold enough for bass

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Does anyone know how far south bass travels to..i mean down the Atlantic. I know its popular in Portugal, but what about west Africa? Western Cape surely is cold enough for bass
Just go to the FAO link I posted and check the distribution, iirc they extend down the north african coast.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Morocco has been a good venue for years, it has just been kept quiet - it is the stupid French who have publicised it for the last few years. I was catching bass in Morocco when I was at sea in the 70s. They go as far south as Senegal - Point du Almadie, Dakar, maybe further, I don't know that.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Caught a few from just off Reykjavik breakwater..............................................sorry it had to be done!
bass.jpg

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Any beach along the north coast will have bass around, nothing to do with hot water outfalls. They have been taken in Orkney too.

Everything to do with rising sea temperatures though. They used to be very rare north of a line between the Wash and the Dee Estuary, possibly with the exception of Luce Bay.

I was fishing eight years in Yorkshire before I caught my first bass and it was another seven years before I caught another. I now expect to catch every time I fish for them.

The change occurred in the early to mid eighties and particularly after the terrific spawning success in 1989.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts