World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do the mullet go?my mother in law is buying a house that backs onto the river in upper beeding,about 200 yards upstream from The Bridge pub,thought i'd use her for baby sitting duties and get the float rod out for a few hours when she gets in there!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
do the mullet go?my mother in law is buying a house that backs onto the river in upper beeding,about 200 yards upstream from The Bridge pub,thought i'd use her for baby sitting duties and get the float rod out for a few hours when she gets in there!
yep you will catch mullet there along with fresh water fish,
im sure jaimie donnally will be along to help you out, he lives in beeding and fishes it all the time:)

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
hi i fish for the thin lips in the ouse above lewes and this is 7 miles up stream from newhaven the estuary i have even seen them at the bacombe mill pool this is approx 10 miles up stream as the river flows so really the can be found as high up the river as the salinity allows them to be small mepps spinners with the treble removed and a single size 10 on 3"s of 8lb silkworm is the way to go baited with red rag maddies or one succesfull way is to float fish a slice of cuecumber no kidding this really scores when there is no tide run and baking hot when the mullet are on the surface I HAVE FISHED FOR MULLET IN THE SOUTH FOR MANY YEARS RANGING FROM THE FAMOUS PORTLAND NAVAL BREAKWATER TO THE CREEKS INLAND ON THE RIVERS ..i hope this helps ANDY

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
do you need a licence to fish there ?? how far up river can you fish without one ?? cheers bdb
dont know how far you can fish with out one
you would need one for upper bedding on the adur and also for lewis on the ouse!, its not worth not having one if your fishing that far up, they do check, and if you dont own one you can expect to have to visit the local law court

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm told that once you get upstream of shoreham flyover you need a licence,tho dont quote me on that!wouldnt be a concern to me as i do a lot of coarse angling anyway.
sounds like im on to a winner with the mother in law moving in there anyway!cheers!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
hi mate,

your step mums house sounds as if its in my road!! and someone has just moved in... what road have they bought the house in??

i fish the river all the time for mullet with some success.

you dont need a lincense (well i dont use one, and have never ever seen an E.A baliff). if you can prove your fishing for mullet your fine. the only problem is that carp, bream and roach can be caught along side bass, mullet and flounder!!! crazy i know!!

i mainly use garden worm.

PM if your planning on fishing the river, as some places as a waste of time, the mullet swim in big groups... (i know where they like to hang about).

biggest i have seen caught by my house was an 8lb thick lip.

Jamie

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its on saltings way,a detatched place,a few up from the access on to the river.can actually get onto the footpath from her garden.I'm 99%sure you do actually need a licence on that part of the river even tho its tidal,im certain it has a closed season as well as its considered freshwater due to the coarse fish present.(which is in force now by the way!) I'll definitely let you know when i can get down fo a sesh tho,at least fishing for mullet i can plead ignorance,(its no excuse,i know!)wouldnt mind the odd carp or large roach either!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Believe it or not, there are no hard and fast rules on licence requirements in terms of distance from the sea. I have certainly fished for mullet in the area you are thinking about without any trouble or hassle to show one.

I think you may find the link below will help you decide on correct "coarse" (had to get a weak pun in) of action to take.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Do_I_Need_A_Licence.html

Incidently, I have been told a good method for Adur mullet is float using a crust of bread as the float - but I haven't got round to trying it yet :)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Believe it or not, there are no hard and fast rules on licence requirements in terms of distance from the sea. I have certainly fished for mullet in the area you are thinking about without any trouble or hassle to show one.

I think you may find the link below will help you decide on correct "coarse" (had to get a weak pun in) of action to take.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Do_I_Need_A_Licence.html

Incidently, I have been told a good method for Adur mullet is float using a crust of bread as the float - but I haven't got round to trying it yet :)
Good tip, I'll try it, could attract swans as well though. I'm sure I've seen the mullet spooked by my orange grayling float before and subsequently painted it black.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
On the license question, it's certain that you legally need one. Whether you get caught or not is another question. And you cannot fish until June 16 in a river of course.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It's pretty harsh if you do get caught without a licence. They have the power to confiscate your tackle and then take you to court and fine you a couple of k (not sure on the exact max penalty).

In 20 years of course fishing I've been asked twice for my licence and I had one on both occasions. I was fishing day ticket lakes.

The money is used well as I have experienced first hand. My folks live next to a private park & lake that has never been stocked in my parents life time (60 years) and 9 years ago we had an oxygen problem. It was a very hot and dry Summer and there was alot of algae growth which depleted the oxygen content of the water. We rang the NRA and they sent somebody down that day. They brought down aeration pumps for a week and saved the fish stock! No payment involved and they gave us alot of advice about preventing the problem in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts