World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now lets just say the mark is a biggish bay , gently sloping away , a bit of sandy patches here and there .

Lot of rocks and weed , with both sides of the bay , flanked by rocks , that you cant quite get out to , on the point ....

How /where do YOU , start ,

Well it should be a little darkish or light just turning on when you get there , maybe an hr before high , i would like to be there , and fish it down ,

(to me most rock marks fish best on the drop , and over low , )
start of the flood can be good to

Warning ,,,,, dont just charge straight in , and start throwing lures ,

Just stay back for 5 to ten mins , let you eyes get accustomed to the dark , look for bait rings close in , or even bass in VERY close in , noising about the shore line ..

I like to pick a very light plug , (not to much splash , )
and plug the fringes , a light topper like a sammy , just tickled about can do wonders , a nice shallow runner , like a kommomo 11 would be next on , the orange red if it was still dark , sand eel one if not .

Then maybe a feed shallow after , i like to start small and none splashy or noisey to start ,

If nothing in close , i would try and work out direction of flow , as it passes the bay at the front ,

I would feel that if it was running right to left on the flood , then the lazy bass would enter the bay from the right and i would head there .
I would again run some toppers and shallow runners , as close to that side as possible .
I love the zonk , so if its over high and the bay gets deeper i would be brave and count it down , maybe 5 secs to start , then longer , remembering to lift the rod and get it up in the water as it get near , as the bay gently slopes away ,
Hot shad as its dark , then pearl rainbow , then mullet , coloures and in order i would use them ,

Then i would plug from there , every inch of the bay , across to the left , then plug up tight to the left side of the bay , hoping that any bait , that came in with the flow was pinned on that side and bass were near by ..

Still no joy ,
Well next part for me, would be a tide minnow or similar ,(something slim that casts well ) blasted out into the front of the bay , where the water passes across the front
(sometimes bass just stay in the flow and bypass little bays )
I found this to be the case on my last trip to ireland , people playing down the fringes , when the bass were out in the flow 60/80 yards out

They soon copied after our 8th fish ,

By now the tide may be dropping away ,

(ideally you would have checked this bay out on a huge spring low tide )
but we dont live in an ideal world , and maybe you have just gone on holiday , and no nothing about the area ,
(i know i always have to fish like this , camper vanning , around devon and cornwall , every other weekend :cc_surren)

May be time to break out a few soft plastics , x slayers , sluggos , touched about here and there as the gullies are starting to appear

Im topping mad , and would not be able to help myself but try a few the more shallow it got , rock hoping back and back with the tide ,
exciting as you find fish sitting where you thought they would be ,
and believe me , they will be in those same gullies , behind the same rocks , sat in the same areas of weed , again and again ,

Sandborer sasuke , kommo 11 , feed shallows , would be getting a good airing by now , the sea should be a bit rougher , with a bit of white water and fizz , as the rocks act as breakers over low ,

Looking at the ground , and the deeper gullies as you follow it out , really, maybe to work them back an hr on the flood , or maybe 2 hrs or more , if your catching :wiggle:

This is how i would attack a new mark shaped a bit like this ,

HOW WOULD YOU :g::thumbs::victory:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Truely great post mate,i'm getting there slowly, but not thinking as fishey as that yet!On reflection my approach must be scaring alot of fish off..thanks again for a very thought provoking and generous post..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Im in the military but the way you wrote that post sounds so regimented, i love it!

Me, i tend to whack on my confidence plug and wing it everywhere! However, after reading that i am definitely going to put a lot more thought into new marks.

Of out tomorrow morning at sunrise.... ill put this to the test! Cheers mark, great post.

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys , its not the right way by any means , its just my way ,
i tried to put in the plugs i would use , and even the colours in order i would use them ,
Dont panick ,or worry , 80 percent of people i know storm straight in ,

Best bit of info in there , i feel , is to just sit back and chill for five , and see what you can see ,

near high water and over high , a LOT of large bass are grubbing the edge , so nice subtle lure , bingo ,

Good luck :fish:

·
Registered
24,226 Posts
Thanks guys , its not the right way by any means , its just my way ,
i tried to put in the plugs i would use , and even the colours in order i would use them ,
Dont panick ,or worry , 80 percent of people i know storm straight in ,

Best bit of info in there , i feel , is to just sit back and chill for five , and see what you can see ,

near high water and over high , a LOT of large bass are grubbing the edge , so nice subtle lure , bingo ,

Good luck :fish:
Very good thread fella,i would do the same especially regarding the time and state of the tide,you know your stuff for sure,i think alot of the people taking up bass dangling expect to just turn up at a mark chuck out a plug and get instant results regardless of as you said times/tide and conditions. I will be out cheating(boat) for bass later with a couple of devils own plugs later,if these fail then am sure the redgills/sidewinders may winkle one or two out.:fishing:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Brilliant stuff!!!

Can I ask a couple of questions???

"I would feel that if it was running right to left on the flood , then the lazy bass would enter the bay from the right and i would head there .
I would again run some toppers and shallow runners , as close to that side as possible."

Would you retrieve the lure with the tide? In my mind, I would be looking and casting to the right, and therefore working the lure with the flow. is this correct?

"Then i would plug from there , every inch of the bay , across to the left, then plug up tight to the left side of the bay , hoping that any bait, that came in with the flow was pinned on that side and bass were near by"

Having covered the right side of the bay, then simply explore the rest, this time though the lure may will be retrieved against the flow more often than not?

Thanks again for a really insightful and thought provoking post.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Now lets just say the mark is a biggish bay , gently sloping away , a bit of sandy patches here and there .

Lot of rocks and weed , with both sides of the bay , flanked by rocks , that you cant quite get out to , on the point ....

How /where do YOU , start ,

Well it should be a little darkish or light just turning on when you get there , maybe an hr before high , i would like to be there , and fish it down ,

(to me most rock marks fish best on the drop , and over low , )
start of the flood can be good to

Warning ,,,,, dont just charge straight in , and start throwing lures ,

Just stay back for 5 to ten mins , let you eyes get accustomed to the dark , look for bait rings close in , or even bass in VERY close in , noising about the shore line ..

I like to pick a very light plug , (not to much splash , )
and plug the fringes , a light topper like a sammy , just tickled about can do wonders , a nice shallow runner , like a kommomo 11 would be next on , the orange red if it was still dark , sand eel one if not .

Then maybe a feed shallow after , i like to start small and none splashy or noisey to start ,

If nothing in close , i would try and work out direction of flow , as it passes the bay at the front ,

I would feel that if it was running right to left on the flood , then the lazy bass would enter the bay from the right and i would head there .
I would again run some toppers and shallow runners , as close to that side as possible .
I love the zonk , so if its over high and the bay gets deeper i would be brave and count it down , maybe 5 secs to start , then longer , remembering to lift the rod and get it up in the water as it get near , as the bay gently slopes away ,
Hot shad as its dark , then pearl rainbow , then mullet , coloures and in order i would use them ,

Then i would plug from there , every inch of the bay , across to the left , then plug up tight to the left side of the bay , hoping that any bait , that came in with the flow was pinned on that side and bass were near by ..

Still no joy ,
Well next part for me, would be a tide minnow or similar ,(something slim that casts well ) blasted out into the front of the bay , where the water passes across the front
(sometimes bass just stay in the flow and bypass little bays )
I found this to be the case on my last trip to ireland , people playing down the fringes , when the bass were out in the flow 60/80 yards out

They soon copied after our 8th fish ,

By now the tide may be dropping away ,

(ideally you would have checked this bay out on a huge spring low tide )
but we dont live in an ideal world , and maybe you have just gone on holiday , and no nothing about the area ,
(i know i always have to fish like this , camper vanning , around devon and cornwall , every other weekend :cc_surren)

May be time to break out a few soft plastics , x slayers , sluggos , touched about here and there as the gullies are starting to appear

Im topping mad , and would not be able to help myself but try a few the more shallow it got , rock hoping back and back with the tide ,
exciting as you find fish sitting where you thought they would be ,
and believe me , they will be in those same gullies , behind the same rocks , sat in the same areas of weed , again and again ,

Sandborer sasuke , kommo 11 , feed shallows , would be getting a good airing by now , the sea should be a bit rougher , with a bit of white water and fizz , as the rocks act as breakers over low ,

Looking at the ground , and the deeper gullies as you follow it out , really, maybe to work them back an hr on the flood , or maybe 2 hrs or more , if your catching :wiggle:

This is how i would attack a new mark shaped a bit like this ,

HOW WOULD YOU :g::thumbs::victory:
i concur, great post
how would i....
first i would hit it on the way up to h/w and back down mainly to see if there is any visable action followed by next time try for l/w to get the lay of the land and any features i could use, bearing in mind i'm SE so not that many interesting features. then its down to trial and error with which plugs and colour work. :huh:
I do have i better understanding of what works in what conditions from this forum but it still feels a bit hit and miss for me.
Then make friends with some like minded people and trade info on the mark so you can learn while you are not even fishing! and visa versa

·
Registered
488 Posts
Great Post Mark

I normally Have a little look see (although don't think I'm patent enough to wait 5 mins:doh:)

In the example you described I would work from right to left. Subs first Holo Chase or RG Kommo2 Because they work nice and shallow and I know they catch fish! If its real weedy or shallow try on top (Gunfish) or with a weedless rigged 'Slandra'

IF possible I would cast so I retrieve with, across and against the flow. If the flow is strong casting different distances and letting the lure drift (just keeping in contact) and retrieving once the lure is out of the main rip!

Working across the bay being mindful of any signs of fish close in. If nothing taking maybe a few blasts with the Code slim (candy) to see if anything is sat out at distance.

Generally I'd go for a subs but if there's no bites I'd try a Weighted redgill (seem to get more bites than a plug but do miss the smaller fish) or as mentioned switch to weedless or surface depending on conditions and depth.

If I see small baitfish I may switch to a 'better' imitation (or maybe get on the fly rod) and of course keeping an eye out for potential hotspots. Gullies, ledges, weed beds, piles of rotting weed Loose in the water and on the shore, deep holes, back eddies and every other spot a Bass my sit.

Good enough for me!:clap:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great thread mark333, very interesting topic particularly to a new bass angler like me...from my perspective, i think the buzz of just being out there that enthusiasm takes control and I end up chucking lures out (losing a few too!?!) without a strategy in mind lol

With such a varied coastline here (South Wales), I have a lot of learning to do, as to tactics, assessing potential marks, type of lures to use and the all important techniques involved...steep learning curve ahead but I'm game for it!!

Keeps the info coming guys, trying to absorb as much as I can on threads like this, any pointers for a bass obsessed Newbie like me will be very welcome :)

Tight lines all

Obi (Jay)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Brilliant thread - thanks very much.

:clap::clap::clap:

From a very raw beginner!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Excellent read, thank you Mark.

If WSF were running a 'Thread of the Year' competition, this would be a serious contender for first prize..and would certainly get my vote.

First prize could be a 15 second 'add to basket' and 'click to checkout' at the lure website of your choice !?!?!

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brilliant stuff!!!

Can I ask a couple of questions???

"I would feel that if it was running right to left on the flood , then the lazy bass would enter the bay from the right and i would head there .
I would again run some toppers and shallow runners , as close to that side as possible."

Would you retrieve the lure with the tide? In my mind, I would be looking and casting to the right, and therefore working the lure with the flow. is this correct?

"Then i would plug from there , every inch of the bay , across to the left, then plug up tight to the left side of the bay , hoping that any bait, that came in with the flow was pinned on that side and bass were near by"

Having covered the right side of the bay, then simply explore the rest, this time though the lure may will be retrieved against the flow more often than not?

Thanks again for a really insightful and thought provoking post.
No mate , i would not retrieve with the tide , i would feel in my mind that they would have come into the bay from that side with the tide , and glad to get out the flow for a bit , and have a snoop about , i always plug bays , the side the flow comes in , to start , . as i said , im not saying its right , im just saying what works very for me , as always , if it helps a couple newbies , im glad i could be of service .

Another thing to remember , and im always watching new people NOT do this , please please please , plug right to your feet , do not , just reel it in fast , last 15ft , or lift the rod early to get the lure back ,
you WILL get hit , 3 inches out , i promise , :fish:

Off , away now to put it into practice , in the camper :clap::fishing:

Good luck all ,

·
Registered
350 Posts
No mate , i would not retrieve with the tide , i would feel in my mind that they would have come into the bay from that side with the tide , and glad to get out the flow for a bit , and have a snoop about , i always plug bays , the side the flow comes in , to start , . as i said , im not saying its right , im just saying what works very for me , as always , if it helps a couple newbies , im glad i could be of service .

Another thing to remember , and im always watching new people NOT do this , please please please , plug right to your feet , do not , just reel it in fast , last 15ft , or lift the rod early to get the lure back ,

Good luck all ,
Very true, last year I had a bass actually come out of the water at my feet, right against the rocks, and grab my plug as I was about to pull it out. I got into the habbit of pausing just at the end of the retrieve and in this instance I was lucky I did!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
spot on thread there buddy!...i like to do the same..think of the conditions and take 5 to just have a look and see whats surfacin or unusal...

but the tides and colours are something im yet to learn...flow of current too...this has actually helped a great deal and ive coppied into a word document so that i can use it as a referance!...
the best way i learn is hearing everyones point of view and bundling it up into one peice of knowledge...then attempting it myself with abit of my own (not very much)....im only 20 years of age but i hopefully ill be bassing for another 20 and with advice like this it sure does help!!...
Very well constructed too, was like reading a novel by Tolkein haha :)

Cheers mark!

·
Registered
110 Posts

Good luck all ,
sooooo much to learn...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great post, Mark, let me try and answer your question!

I would arrive in the late in the afternoon to coincide with the bottom of the tide (as you did suggest). Like you, I would sit down first, away from the water, and have a look ? probably because I had walked some distance and needed a drink to help cool off before doing anything else!

First... think! What is the food source? Where is it coming from? I am going to assume that we are talking about grubbing around for crabs, prawns, wrasse, blennies and butterfish while taking advantage of any free swimming snacks that might happen along. Then, time on my side, I?d walk around the bay, look for the features; gullies, ledges, boulders, weed banks, sandy patches, try to work out where any currents are likely to form and I WOULD PHOTOGRAPH OR FILM IT - even adding a commentary! (I have got into the habit of taking a pocket cam with me but you can do the same thing on your mobile). If there is a significant feature I want to be sure of picking out later, say, a collection of weed covered rocks on an otherwise flat ledge, I would pick up a can, bottle or something off the shoreline and put in line with that feature above the high water mark so that I have a datum, a point of reference, because it?s not so easy to pick out covered in water!

Now, the fishing..... Mike Ladle wrote of an experiment tracking the movements of bass and mullet over a known location and in it he says that the bass, and mullet, moved in AS SOON AS THE WATER WAS DEEP ENOUGH ? 6 to 9 inches!! I have to say that I concur with this and, anyway, who am I to argue with the Great Man? As the tide just starts to move, on with a small Sammy; it?s unlikely that any bass moving in with the tide is going to expect to find the biggest of meals just yet. Bright day, dull colour; dull day, dull colour ? I only have one of the small ones and it ain?t bright, but it does catch!! (Mental note: must get another!).Cover as many of the gaps in the weed, flows between rocks and filling gullies as you can ? the tide is only just starting to move, so it does not matter where you start (imo) because there is no significant lateral movement yet to influence the direction of the arrival of any fish. Cast.Twitch, twitch! There could be fish moving into any one of the gullies or holes that are starting to fill and they will be waiting to get into that weed bed, to try and catch anything that has taken cover, just as soon as they can! Look very closely for any signs of movement. Get that lure over, and between, as many of the features as possible - as soon as they are covered with enough water to allow a fish in (I?ve seen enough bassies moving along the tide line with their fins poking out of the water and tails stuck up into the air to know that they will work right at the very edge in the shallowest of water). Don?t forget stealth!!! Keep a low profile and don?t scrunch on any shingle.

The beauty of a surface lure is that not only can I see the take, I can also see the missed ones as well, the sun is still up, don?t forget, and there is no quicker way of working out if there is something around in shallow water than a Sammy. Sub ?surface lures do not often let me know when a fish has declined my offering and it can be difficult to know if that ?knock? is a fish or a rock. There is no better way to stoke up my enthusiasm than seeing a great splash or swirl of a fish alongside my surface lure (other than catching it, of course). Subs also get stuck and junking twenty quid?s worth of lure on each of my first couple of casts is going to put a black cloud over this trip! If I do not see any interest in the first 3 or 4 casts, I?ll move on to my next spot and try again. Using this method I can cover the whole bay, point to point. When I reach the end of the bay, I?ll turn round, go back the other way and fish the old ground and the new areas that are being covered by the, now flooding, tide. I reckon I could pick up a fish, or two, with this approach.

I will have been fishing for an hour or more now, time for the next stage....The tide is flooding properly and there is a significant amount of lateral movement, the sun is lower in the sky and the little breeze there was has started to drop off. Change the little Sammy for a shallow diver, something like an SS Minnow or a Komomo. Cast out, hold the rod up and bring the lure back slowly, ?waking? across the surface. Work the bay and points round, and back, again. Hopefully, I would see a bit of action using this approach.
Another hour, or more, has gone. The tide is ramping through now, so back to Sammy - a bigger one this time which casts further, a 115 in a sandy finish (I don?t know the colour code, I?m afraid). I go to the right and get as far out on the rocks as I can, then blast the lure as far out to sea as I am able to! Let it settle. As it starts to drift outside the bay just twitch the lure. Twitch, leave five seconds, twitch, leave five seconds. Cover the fIow at the head of the bay letting the Sammy drift around and into the calmer waters of the bay. I can cover a huge amount of water using this method and any fish will very soon make it?s presence known. As soon as I see any interest, I start working that lure to try and provoke a take. It could be worth hanging around on this point for a while waiting to ambush any fish moving in. If there is no interest, I?d then move closer inshore and repeat the exercise.
Eventually, I will work my way back to the shoreline ? which will now be closer to the land because of the flooding tide, don?t forget. Remember those photos? Time to get out the pocket cam and identify my ?underwater? marks. Cast that Sammy out and start walking it over these areas. Work my way around the bay, back out to the furthest possible point on the opposite side, using a mixture of WTD and twitching over the marks I have identified. Remember bass sit in front of ledges and weed banks, as well as behind, so try all options.
If the conditions are a bit breezy, I may use a Gunfish or, better still, perhaps, a Chug bug because they make more of a disturbance to attract the fish.

Time for a break..... a drink and a sarnie.:icecream:

The tide is now high and the sun is low. Right, where is that marker that I left on the beach? Time for another change; off with the Sammy and on with the killer lure, the X-RAP!!! My favourite lure is a black and silvery brown XR 10 ? I got it in America and have not found one quite the same in the UK. It?s a bit second hand now, and I have replaced the split rings and trebles with smaller, much finer versions ? barbless as well, dare I say! (Yeah, I know, I?m a heretic! They always fall out, lose fish, head shakes, blah, blah! Don?t agree, but I am quite willing to climb down on this one if I can stick my barbless treble in somebody?s finger while they jump into the water to show me how they can simply shake it out as I try and keep a taught line:bleh::bleh:). These mods, with the rod held high, allow the little Rap to swim that bit higher in the water helping avoid the snags. Cast beyond that mark I had identified, and work that lure back across: a steady retrieve, maybe a few snaps and jerks ?I am full of anticipation now and if there?s something around it shouldn?t take too long to find out!
A word of advice...never overfish the same bit of ground. I believe that bass quickly wise up to seeing the same bit of plastic swimming past so keep your efforts limited to a dozen, or so, casts at any one of the chosen spots and move on. Obviously, if you are lucky enough to locate a big shoal of fish then stick around (it probably won?t happen, though!).

Work the bay, using the film and markers, through the dusk - and keep looking!! Cover any movement you see. I would be disappointed not to get a pull or two now (and I?m often disappointed!).

The tide has topped, is starting to drop and I think back to the Mike Ladle reference ? the fish moved on as soon as the tide began to ebb ? and I?m off.

Bit of a different approach than yours, Mark, and I would admit to a lack of experience using the many different types of lure that are available, but keeping it simple suits me!

As I said, great post and let?s hope that a cross-fertilisation of ideas takes us all a little bit further down the right road.

Cheers,

Kes

1 - 20 of 80 Posts