World Sea Fishing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
great post, i'll persevere with it, with good advice i'll stand a better chance of catching bass insted of more makerel.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Read through this thread and found it very interesting!

About 30 years ago, I had the privilege of being able to regularly fish with a master angler who's name was Keith Major. After a short illness Keith died, so my apprenticeship unfortunately came to an abrupt end.

Keith's mantra would be to 'observe first and then adapt to the conditions'. When the anglers around him were already fishing, he would just go off quietly to sit down and watch. I'm sure he had a sixth sense because he would always find the fish if they were there. With a couple of decent sized fish in his bag, he would just pack-up for the day and smoke his pipe whilst watching the water.

So the most important lesson he taught me - which also comes through strong in earlier posts is water craft. Sit, study and think where the fish are most likely to be before you wet a line. It takes willpower but it worked for him and to a lesser degree for me too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a post.. I know its been up a while, but as i usually bait fish i think can also learn a lot from this post even for baiting. I have just started lure fishing in earnest this year and like a lot of people, i just arrive at a spot and just stay there chucking lures in every direction.. Probably because when you are so used to bait fishing you arrive at a mark with all your gear and get comfortable for a few hours. You have talked about bass a lot in this section, so i am wondering if the same approach applies for sea trout.. Again, a fantastic post....

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What a post.. I know its been up a while, but as i usually bait fish i think can also learn a lot from this post even for baiting. I have just started lure fishing in earnest this year and like a lot of people, i just arrive at a spot and just stay there chucking lures in every direction.. Probably because when you are so used to bait fishing you arrive at a mark with all your gear and get comfortable for a few hours. You have talked about bass a lot in this section, so i am wondering if the same approach applies for sea trout.. Again, a fantastic post....
Thanks Flyno :thumbs:
Most people would want to stay put in one spot ,,, its not the best way for bass imho .
I have caught a fair few sea trout , but feel they move about a fair bit more than bass ... At least bass stay put for a while , the wiley old sea trout is a totally different target ..Not so hard to catch in rivers IMHO , but open seas different ball game .
Good luck with it all :thumbs:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
oboy, I am looking to take up lure fishing. I am 71 yrs old hope I have enough time to learn
enough, to make it enjoyable.
dunworking69 :notworthy:clap3::notworthy
your never to old sir ....

If its any help to you , at 71 years of age , you qualify for a FREE guide . .

If that of any help to you , and you can get to Dorset this season , be an honour to take you out ...

Send me a private message , and see what we could do ,,,,

Byall means bring a pal , or family member to share trip with , and they can fish also ....

Hope this may be of help to you , and a bit of a learning short cut on time ..............

cheers

MARK .

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
dunworking69 :notworthy:clap3::notworthy
your never to old sir ....

If its any help to you , at 71 years of age , you qualify for a FREE guide . .

If that of any help to you , and you can get to Dorset this season , be an honour to take you out ...

Send me a private message , and see what we could do ,,,,

Byall means bring a pal , or family member to share trip with , and they can fish also ....

Hope this may be of help to you , and a bit of a learning short cut on time ..............

cheers

MARK .
Well done Mark...I knew you wasn`t as bad as some say you are...lol

P.S......(if he hasn`t got any mates, can i come)...lol

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well done Mark...I knew you wasn`t as bad as some say you are...lol

P.S......(if he hasn`t got any mates, can i come)...lol
Thanks cabin boy , its only a day of my time , i respect my Elders and truth is i would probably learn more from him on the day ...

Pm him , go and pick him up , be his friend , your in lol :kissing:

Or just wait till you pass 70 :notworthy:):)

Ps , dont believe all you hear lol ...

B

·
0 Posts
have you used the abu garcia jointed tormentor? if so what's your opinion on it?

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
have you used the abu garcia jointed tormentor? if so what's your opinion on it?
Yes the mullet dark one ....caught on it ...takes odd big fish , but there is plenty better lures out there Billy 84 ....
It's better in rough seas with a tad of colour IMHO ...it moves a lot of water ....

·
Registered
760 Posts
Great first post Mark some diamond info there. Totally agree on the sitting back and taking stock of surroundings no point rushing in like a bull in a china shop although I know I still do it on occasions itchy trigger finger and all that. Rarely fish new marks anymore but always try and get a low water recce in of possible even of it means getting there 6 hours early and waiting around for some activity (not casting). Have to admit since taking up the light fishing have found small (under 4inch) plastics fished dead slow can really make a difference in catches if your working and area you don't know I'm guessing it has less of a spook effect especially during daylight hours and has resulted in a few decent fish to boot

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Great first post Mark some diamond info there. Totally agree on the sitting back and taking stock of surroundings no point rushing in like a bull in a china shop although I know I still do it on occasions itchy trigger finger and all that. Rarely fish new marks anymore but always try and get a low water recce in of possible even of it means getting there 6 hours early and waiting around for some activity (not casting). Have to admit since taking up the light fishing have found small (under 4inch) plastics fished dead slow can really make a difference in catches if your working and area you don't know I'm guessing it has less of a spook effect especially during daylight hours and has resulted in a few decent fish to boot
Cheers Tom .....
I sat back the other day and just watched .....
Taught me what bait they were on , and how they were taking it ,
Off the top in this instance ,,,,
I was going to go in with a mullet feed shallow , and ignore my own advice lol ....
Easy to spook bass in shallow water IMHO .....
Weed less and weightless softs are doing well for me now , nearly like a surface bait .......
Just add hook ....simple .....boring but it works well ....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
it is good advice for lure fishers, probably the best is the 'topwater' striping to find patrolling fish. Really good area to start, poppers are good for this. Although the fish where i live are never as big as other swims which is annoying.

The advice given is great and will find that lays exposed at low tide will be holding spots for good fish at high tides. Also sometimes the biggest fish to be had are less than 10 feet out, especially wrasse and conger. Some pollack hide uder ledges and spring out at lures on the dangle, shoot for snags and can easily break the mainline if they get back under the cover. They put angles on the mainline which feels twice as heavy as a deadweight

·
Registered
7,702 Posts
So heres a great tip , instead of just reeling in ,again and again , why not act like the bait , toss a lure , down tide , then hold it in the flow doing nothing , lure will work on its own if flow is strong enough ,
slowly reel , so it seems the bait is making slow progress , say a few inches, or a few feet , then drop the rod back , to make it look like the flow has beat it , and repeat , it can take an age to get a lure back , but its a deadly method , (great way for surface lures to . )

softs are great xslayers , although i prefer and do better on sluggos , trot them down , i am no expert on these , have caught , do catch , but will let pros explain the methods , fake prawns , ragworm softs , all do well , fish it right down to the bottom of the tide , by this time i would normally make my way back to the entrance , and i find the last couple hrs as the ebb flow has slowed right down to be my main surface work , , hope again this is of some help , not the right or wrong way , just my way , good luck all ,
right there is a good way to fish a stick,needle what ever.
that bit about bait dropping back against a flow is what ,makes the difference..
its useless reversing a lure down with the flow..as has been written.
and it is definitely not natural.
bait in a flow will tire,.and as you say they will drop back and then try and catch up ,.witch will entice a strike..
its the weak witch is the target ,.chasing the healthy is too much energy spend.
and no baitfish swims in reverse down a current.....its a roll back ,correction head down,then back on track .

41 - 60 of 80 Posts