World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your tackle bag is anything like mine, it would take all day to work through all the plugs and lures to try and find what the fish are feeding on, especially by the time I have tried various depths down to the sea bed.

I tend to give any lure a maximum of 15-20 minutes to produce before changing it, but how long do you persevere with a spot/mark before moving along the shore to the next promising spot? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If you flit from mark to mark you could conceivably be at all of them at the wrong time. If its bass ur after, catching them is easy right place, right time, right lure.

Marks are dynamic places which are changed radically by the progression of tides, season and weather. Its not an amount of time you spend at a mark so much as what time you're there. Bass can surprise you but a lot of the time you can set your watch by them. They use the tide to move from mark to mark sometimes ignoring good looking places because there's better feeding elsewhere.

Of course initially amount of time will be important. It may take a lot of reconnaissance time at a mark to suss out what these best times are, depending on how well you read the ground etc.-if you can scrounge local knowledge -even better.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If you flit from mark to mark you could conceivably be at all of them at the wrong time. If its bass ur after, catching them is easy right place, right time, right lure.

Marks are dynamic places which are changed radically by the progression of tides, season and weather. Its not an amount of time you spend at a mark so much as what time you're there. Bass can surprise you but a lot of the time you can set your watch by them. They use the tide to move from mark to mark sometimes ignoring good looking places because there's better feeding elsewhere.

Of course initially amount of time will be important. It may take a lot of reconnaissance time at a mark to suss out what these best times are, depending on how well you read the ground etc.-if you can scrounge local knowledge -even better.
Spot on,if you are in the right place at the right time they will not be too fussy what lure you are using.Trying to work this out is the hard bit,catching the fish is relatively easy.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,779 Posts
Several of my favourate marks and one in particular I tend too only give a few casts.If I dont see any fish or get a hit then I assume that there is nothing there at that time.
I will always return a bit later and give it a try.This has worked for me over the years as theres no point casting at empty water etc.
Unfortunatley this year has seen a lot of that.

Nick.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've had the pleasure of fishing (for a short time) with Mike Ladle and he never stood still for more than 6 or 7 casts. Always on the move.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several of my favourate marks and one in particular I tend too only give a few casts.If I dont see any fish or get a hit then I assume that there is nothing there at that time.
I will always return a bit later and give it a try.This has worked for me over the years as theres no point casting at empty water etc.
Unfortunatley this year has seen a lot of that. Nick.
This is kind of the reason for my asking the question, the marks that I have fished previous years don't seem to be as well populated this summer.

So I was just wondering how long others give a spot 'when it feels right' before moving on compared to the maximum of about 30 minutes that I will try.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
This is kind of the reason for my asking the question, the marks that I have fished previous years don't seem to be as well populated this summer.

So I was just wondering how long others give a spot 'when it feels right' before moving on compared to the maximum of about 30 minutes that I will try.
dizzy,,
gut feeling that one last cast before the move,,i would say its ALL!! down to experience ,knowing your tides ,weather ,water condition and reading situations of areas that Bass frequent then keep at it on a seasonal basis

hope this helps a little

gee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts