World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if there is a limited amount of time you can keep black lug in the freezer for? Will they survive ok til next winter or should I be looking to use them within 3 months or so?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can normally be safely stored in the freezer until the wife sees them!
I'm not sure I'll get a better answer than that to be honest! haha
My missus is surprisingly alright about that, she's even let me have my own compartment for bait.....I just spare her the details. She does, however, get a little panicked by worms in the fridge, even when they're wrapped and in a container.....I'm sure she thinks lug are all SAS trained and are equipped with climbing gear etc...

G

·
Oh it's them king rag she needs to be afraid of very afraid!!
My Mrs was so understanding she let me have the fridge freezer, she had the house the car the kids.....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what I'm basically getting from this, aside from laughter, is chuck em in the back of the freezer and forget about them til they're needed and don't worry about how long they've been in there.....right?

G

·
Sounds about right Rubbish. But, saying that, it's the same as anything in the freezer it still ,will, deteriorate over time...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've never chucked any away yet. Quite happy to take them to the beach several times and refreeze what I don't use. As said before stale lug makes cracking Dab bait. I've had some nearly reach a year and it was fine.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i wrap mine in slightly damp paper when fresh before freezing, they should be alright for many years if they are in good condition before being frozen.

i re freeze my blacks. before re freezing i put them into a plastic sandwich bag, to stop the air getting in and also keep track of whats been re frozen. the smellier and stickier the better for flatties.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been wrapping mine all individually in cling film and then putting the lot into a freezer bag......
Cheers for all the advice, I won't be in any great hurry to use them now... winter bait it is!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
i keep them for months , but when i wrap them i put the date on the pack and rotate them , that way you use the older wraps...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been wrapping mine all individually in cling film and then putting the lot into a freezer bag......
Cheers for all the advice, I won't be in any great hurry to use them now... winter bait it is!
I was told that when wrapped in just cling film they go mushy when frozen. Can't confirm this from experience, as never done it that way. Might be better to roll, however many you use on a normal days fishing, in a couple sheets of paper first and then wrap in cling film. And also date it as previously mentioned. No need to overdo the paper. Spaced out an inch apart and then enough paper to roll around once to finish it.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
never had an issue when either wrapped in cling film, florist wrap or paper

never seen the need to fully gut em, just nip the heads when pumped, chuck in the bucket and be done with it
they will expel what they do, anything else gets left inside , quick rinse when finished, then wrapped n frozen when i get home
catch wise?, ive caught far more on frozen blacks / yellows than fresh, and some of them have been in the freezer for 2yrs +, so as to life span in the freezer? who knows ?
cant see the reel benefit of wringing them out like i have seen others do, just leaves an empty skin?

me

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There ain't no sell by date ......
Just use the ones from the bottom first that will keep the newer packs rotating as you use them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
never had an issue when either wrapped in cling film, florist wrap or paper

never seen the need to fully gut em, just nip the heads when pumped, chuck in the bucket and be done with it
they will expel what they do, anything else gets left inside , quick rinse when finished, then wrapped n frozen when i get home
catch wise?, ive caught far more on frozen blacks / yellows than fresh, and some of them have been in the freezer for 2yrs +, so as to life span in the freezer? who knows ?
cant see the reel benefit of wringing them out like i have seen others do, just leaves an empty skin?

me
Yeah that's what I do just nip their heads I have two buckets one inside the other the top one is drilled with holes so the blood runs out I try and leave as much of the guts in the worms as possible give them a rinse on the beach dry them on news paper for a hour or so then roll them in news paper but then I vacuum pack them never used fresh lug in the winter for three years and had some good bags of fish in January had two bags of 30lb plus on two year old frozen blacks and yellow tails one of the sessions a guy fishing just yards away using fresh bait never got a bite it was on beach with a good swell going

·
Registered
814 Posts
I gut them, leave them on news paper for 2 days in the fridge, wrap them in news paper, and put about 6 rolls of rolled lug into a Zip bag and freeze it. Should be fine for 2 years, but iv always used mine within 8 months.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice, think I know what I'll be doing in the futurenow!

Cheers

Ben

1 - 19 of 19 Posts