World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally going to do some actual fishing on Anglesey. My wife tells me that the last time I fished was when I was 70 and we took a cottage at Pwllfanog - that was 4 years ago! So next week it's to St. Mary's we go with fishing at the bottom of the garden.
So this afternoon I started sorting my gear. Some LRF-ing, Lure fishing and perhaps some bait.
Now I got out the reels. They're fine BUT what about the line? Most are mono but also braid. Many are at least 10 years so do I chuck them and buy new (a lot)?? That's the point of this thread. All look fine particularly the braid!

What do you think?

Started to pull off one lot and didn't it take a long time. Any quick ways of doing it?

Probably best to buy new in case I lose a really good fish!

Off to Malcs on Friday/Sat, but what do you think.

·
13,170 Posts
If they've been stored in the dark, line lasts longer then (sunlight/UV damages the line). One problem you might have is the line might come off in tight spirals, having taken the shape of the spool. I always think that confidence is a major factor in fishing enjoyment, so if for that reason alone, I would replace the line.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads! Great idea for stripping line! Yes I knew about the danger of UV and my stuff's been in the dark. Thanks again for your response!

Didn't tell you about the fact that there were maggots everywhere! All my fresh water ground bait bags were shredded! I even had to clear them from my waterproofs the little b"""""s were in every crevice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi swellyman,
I watched a vid on you tube showing how you could reverse the line on your reel, chances are you have way more line on your reel than you could ever cast, get a cordless drill and reverse the line by emptying it on to a empty spool, and then again onto another spool and then back onto your reel, more than likely the line on the start of the spool will be like new. get another ten years mate ;-)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for tip on reversing line - what a great idea! Will actually chuck some stuff! The Abu Elite was dry when I pulled it apart and unfortunately found a small dent on the back! Will send it away when I get back to have new back!
I'm amazed how much old/new stuff I've got, a case of buying anything fishing anywhere I was! Won't matter then if I lose a lot of lures but only use the more expensive ones where it's deep/clear!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to Malc, fresh braid lasts for ever and does not need to be discarded unless of course it's been subject to unecessary heat etc. So the only bit I'm replacing is the front metre or so which might be damaged by rocks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.