World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,571 Posts
Just goes to show when a surge of water floods...........

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
You have to respect the sea as it takes no prisoners.........

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Google translation of a lucky escape:
"This is a terrible tragedy was narrowly avoided Monday at Portsall on the beach Porsguen, in Finistère, when a couple came to admire the storm and retired totatlement unconscious of danger, was suddenly hit by a wave.

For the greatest opportunities, a man present there was literally thrown to their aid, to bring man and woman slightly injured."

The report: http://www.actunautique.com/2016/02/video-deux-retraites-emportes-par-une-vague-a-portsall-29.html

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Camera man wasn't springing into action to help.......???
Further proof, if any were needed, that folk that film other folk with GoPros are usually self serving ****s.
nice to see the camera man help out. Saying that one less bloody fool to save
From what I read about this story is that the person filming was disabled and he was the one that actually called the emergency services..

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everybody talks about how the camera man DOESN'T jump into action (before they discover the reason).
Understandable.
Same on the other thread I saw this on.
Easy to judge from an armchair, and make comments from a keyboard?

But, here is one for you - was yellow kagoul man brave or stupid, or both?

Being totally honest, (and probably putting myself in a bad light, LOL) my heart was in my chest for him, and I was saying 'no, no, no!'
Really thought he was a goner too.
We have all seen the stories, 'one idiot drowned, two heroes with him'.

None of us know what we do in situations like that, but as I was watching I was thinking, 'just grab the woman!' And, 'no point three dying, when only one need to'.
That was on watching the video.

When the Zebrugge ferry went down, people were climbing over each other to get out. Statistically, I am guessing many of those who did that were people who never thought they would.

I have 'citizen arrested' people in the street before, including that of a man from a jewellery store robbery. I also rescued a man from a group who seemed intent on beating the living daylights out of him in Manchester, and was damn lucky I wasn't killed in his place.
Afterwards, I reflected that I must have been mad. Could have easily ended a statistic in both events, and more. Instinct just took over, and I did not think.

So, the honest answer is I don't know what I would have done in yellow kagoul man's shoes. Could have done the same, rescuing both, or stood with my mouth open, frozen to spot, having saved myself?

Either way, he deserves the 'Legion d'Honneur', and I suspect he will watch that video being both proud of himself and appalled at his own recklessness?

·
Registered
21,537 Posts
Everybody talks about how the camera man DOESN'T jump into action (before they discover the reason).
Understandable.
Same on the other thread I saw this on.
Easy to judge from an armchair, and make comments from a keyboard?

But, here is one for you - was yellow kagoul man brave or stupid, or both?

Being totally honest, (and probably putting myself in a bad light, LOL) my heart was in my chest for him, and I was saying 'no, no, no!'
Really thought he was a goner too.
We have all seen the stories, 'one idiot drowned, two heroes with him'.

None of us know what we do in situations like that, but as I was watching I was thinking, 'just grab the woman!' And, 'no point three dying, when only one need to'.
That was on watching the video.

When the Zebrugge ferry went down, people were climbing over each other to get out. Statistically, I am guessing many of those who did that were people who never thought they would.

I have 'citizen arrested' people in the street before, including that of a man from a jewellery store robbery. I also rescued a man from a group who seemed intent on beating the living daylights out of him in Manchester, and was damn lucky I wasn't killed in his place.
Afterwards, I reflected that I must have been mad. Could have easily ended a statistic in both events, and more. Instinct just took over, and I did not think.

So, the honest answer is I don't know what I would have done in yellow kagoul man's shoes. Could have done the same, rescuing both, or stood with my mouth open, frozen to spot, having saved myself?

Either way, he deserves the 'Legion d'Honneur', and I suspect he will watch that video being both proud of himself and appalled at his own recklessness?
:) None of us really know what we'd do, or not do if the moment came. :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I was knocked over by a rogue wave once. Pushed back against some cliffs on one of my usual spots I thought I'd be ok.
They thing is, I saw it coming (I was taught by my grandad at an early age, never to turn my back on the sea), and after it knocked my over, I wasn't stupid enough to lay myself out flat so I could just get washed about.
I was back on my feet in seconds, and apart from being cold, my main concern was that my mates hadn't seen it happen.

As for rescuing somebody in that position, I guess it would depend on the circumstances at the time. You'll only ever find out if your in that position.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts