World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Further to i hate whiting forum "wats your e fav catch" how many different species of fish have one caught from the same mark?. Mine is ten (10)

Woodster

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
6 for me - not all the same day - but were all from the same mark.

Cod, Pollock, Coalfish, Conger, Mackeral, Dab

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had 14 species out of my best (and obviously favourtie) mark, including some of my best fish. I think I could bump that up by a couple yet - I haven't tried for a rockling but they will be there and I have seen mullet cruising by. There are some mini species as well, but I don't count them.

Luckily for me, it isn't fished by many other people, and is in a stunning location. I have even seen dolphins on some occassions.

I certainly know where I want my ashes to be scattered :D

Trouble with having such a good mark is that it is tempting to go there every trip, but varitey is the spice of life.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manx Fisher said:
I've had 14 species out of my best (and obviously favourtie) mark, including some of my best fish. I think I could bump that up by a couple yet - I haven't tried for a rockling but they will be there and I have seen mullet cruising by. There are some mini species as well, but I don't count them.

Luckily for me, it isn't fished by many other people, and is in a stunning location. I have even seen dolphins on some occassions.

I certainly know where I want my ashes to be scattered :D

Trouble with having such a good mark is that it is tempting to go there every trip, but varitey is the spice of life.
Manx

With regards to scattering of ashes. this is very bizarre my late father's ashes are scattered over this mark. I know us fisherman spin a yarn but this is the truth. On a back to reality check my favourite mark is my only mark. I have one fish to catch off the mark and that is a Thornie. Have seen 2 Thornie's landed 1st 10 metres to my left and the 2nd on the rod next to mine (brother-in-law) same distant same bait

Woodster

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This is a good thread but lets get a bit organised perhaps?
How about some headings?
Venue or Type Rocky, beach, Muddy etc.?
Then how about the actual species caught and the ones you've seen caught there?

So ...
Gorad Goch - Menai Straits - Rocky/kelpy eddy off main current, but muddy at high water mark (great spot for peelers)
Baits used: Crab, rag and fish strips (real ones mostly but had a codling on fish'n'strips!)
Species caught - 90% at Low water + 2 hours

Bass
Lesser Spotted Dogfish
Codling
Balan Wrasse
Mackeral
Pouting
Whiting
Pollack
Flounder (onto muddy part at half tide)
Bullhead - how it took a 1/0 i'll never know!

Not caught myself there, but seen there
Mullet - this year i'll catch!
Bl**dy Sea Trout - tried catching there for 50 years, but this year!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
swelleyman said:
This is a good thread but lets get a bit organised perhaps?
How about some headings?
Venue or Type Rocky, beach, Muddy etc.?
Then how about the actual species caught and the ones you've seen caught there?

So ...
Gorad Goch - Menai Straits - Rocky/kelpy eddy off main current, but muddy at high water mark (great spot for peelers)
Baits used: Crab, rag and fish strips (real ones mostly but had a codling on fish'n'strips!)
Species caught - 90% at Low water + 2 hours

Bass
Lesser Spotted Dogfish
Codling
Balan Wrasse
Mackeral
Pouting
Whiting
Flounder (onto muddy part at half tide)
Bullhead - how it took a 1/0 i'll never know!

Not caught myself there, but seen there
Mullet - this year i'll catch!
Bl**dy Sea Trout - tried catching there for 50 years, but this year!
Swellyman

Please donot take this the wrong way. What you have added to my question is superb one is new to this forum (but full of meaningless forum questions) but u guys are brill.

Woodster

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
the most i've managed is:
Dab
plaice
whiting
coalfish
pollock
codling
dogfish
Huss
Scorpion fish
blenny
nearly all took on the same day, all from trefor pier, i love that venue, if nothing else theres dogies!!!!!!
where abouts is that mar on the menai straights?
Cheers tozer

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
riverside drive dundee - shore
sea trout
salmon
codling - very small
sea scorpion
silver eel
smelt
whiting
coalfish
flounder
dab
bass - but fell off at wall
if there is any more will add
arbroath - boat
cod
ling
sea scorpion
coalfish
pollack
haddock
ballan wrasse
whiting
if there is any more will add

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
Tywyn Beach can be good for species-bashes in mid-Autumn. Best run to date was 3 yrs ago one late October night:

Dogfish
Whiting
Bass
Codling
Pouting
Poor Cod
5 Bearded Rockling
Small Eyed Ray
Dab
Flounder
Turbot

with the catch being mostly dogfish and whiting, all others being single fish.

Also possible are conger, silver eel, thornback, huss, wrasse & mini species. It's because although the beach is sandy there are areas of big bouldery stuff further out with mussels, crabs, small fish etc so predators of various sizes are attracted when conditions are right. If conditions are not right you will still get doggies & whiting!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
ok i jo in in. cardiff foreshore. cod bass dogs flats eels whiting pouting a gurnard, pollack rockling mullet, the gurnard 2 my knowledge,nobody has had 1 from this mark b4. and i say to my knowledge. mostly all caught on rag and squid, whiting taking mostly maky........

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
There is a mark in Caernarfon bay that throws up all sorts. It is a rocky reef covered in Kelp and surrounded by sand and patches of mud. From this one spot I have had over the years:

bass
black bream
gilthead bream (only one)
codling
whiting
garfish
triggerfish
pollack
coalfish
conger
red, grey and tub gurnard
dogs
huss
thornies
flatties
smuts
tope
mack
herring
scad
weaver
scorpions
dragonett
foulhooked launce
foulhooked a sole there once on a spinner

An average day on this mark would see 9 species.

For those who fish this area it is Caer Arianhod, anchor uptide and fish downtide into the reef, uptide from the same spot onto the sand mud, and fish a float for the bream, triggers and garfish.

If you do decide to fish it please be carefull . The reef shows on Spring tides but is awash for the majority of tides There is a second reef 300 yards to the west that is not charted as it is quite deep, between the 2 is ideal on the flood tide.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm waiting to catch just one fish from anywhere in Wales. I've blanked everytime.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
That just about beats all, 11 species and all in ONE night. I think i'd be pleased with 11 fish in one night from the shore never mind about species! Mind you a place where you can catch Salmon and Sea trout as well as all the rest also beats most places.

27 species for ChrisP, but you were afloat, but 27 is impressive in anyone's language!!!! (But no Lamprey, I notice!) I think you can count the foulhooked ones as they were trying for the bait/lure!

Mind you it is possible I suppose to presume that if these species hunt blokes came to my place they'd outfish me there as well! Ah well I do try and I enjoy myself! Perhaps if I continue to ask what appear to be 'meaningless questions' and read what they write I'll become better too!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts