World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far do you lot under fill you spool with braid? How much of a gap do you have between the braid and the spool lip?

This is my reel, just wondering if its about right or could be higher.

Ben

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Depends on how good the reel's line lay is. Start with mil or two(like you have), then, if you get knots easily, increase it until you find a happy medium.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you purchase 200 yds of braid how do you know how much normal line to put on the F/S to ensure the braid comes up to the lip of the spool?

·
Registered
479 Posts
a trick from flyfishing is:

Put the braid on first, then join and add mono until you get up to the lip of spool.
Cut the mono and take all the line off.

Wind on mono end first and you're spool is perfectly filled !

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is wrong with just tying mono onto the spool, turning the reel handle afew times to grip the spool with mono then connecting and filling the spool with braid until its as full as you want? Thats what ive always done!

I thought your meant to under fill your spool with braid?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've got the same reel and I have mine about the same as yours maybe a fraction less but as long as you check the tension of the line by giving it a gentle pull at the beginning of each retrieve then you should find that it doesn't produce any loose coils that lead to wind knots.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the same reel and I have mine about the same as yours maybe a fraction less but as long as you check the tension of the line by giving it a gentle pull at the beginning of each retrieve then you should find that it doesn't produce any loose coils that lead to wind knots.
Yeah thats what I do, and hardly ever get wind knots. Just wondering if ill be losing much casting distance with that level of braid.

Speaking of braid..does anyone else find that it gets frayed easily, for example when just putting your rod down on rocks etc, forcing you to cut weak frayed line off. Braid is meant to last ages but mine doesnt even last as long as mono due to this.

·
Registered
961 Posts
What is wrong with just tying mono onto the spool, turning the reel handle afew times to grip the spool with mono then connecting and filling the spool with braid until its as full as you want? Thats what ive always done!

I thought your meant to under fill your spool with braid?
Guess the aim is simply not to waste any braid. Braid usually comes in 150yds or 300yds spools - don't know about you but I can't cast that far. So if you load the full amount you will probably only use half, but at some point in the season or between seasons you can turn the line around and have 'new' braid again.

If you do as Pisc says and load the spool with braid then mono then the mono should be up to the same level that you want the braid to end up at. Then you either load it to a spare spool for the same reel, mono first, or turn it around on a spare reel or two and load it back onto the reel mono first. Sounds a pain but becomes routine after a season or two.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive never seen that before pisc! Braid really does have no abrasion resistance!

Guess the aim is simply not to waste any braid. Braid usually comes in 150yds or 300yds spools - don't know about you but I can't cast that far. So if you load the full amount you will probably only use half, but at some point in the season or between seasons you can turn the line around and have 'new' braid again.

If you do as Pisc says and load the spool with braid then mono then the mono should be up to the same level that you want the braid to end up at. Then you either load it to a spare spool for the same reel, mono first, or turn it around on a spare reel or two and load it back onto the reel mono first. Sounds a pain but becomes routine after a season or two.
I still don't get how putting braid on first then mono on second then reversing the spool is any different to just filling up a mono backing followed by however much braid you want on the spool that you are going to use in the first place. Just sounds like uneccessary extra work to me or am I missing something :doh:

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,489 Posts
That video is pretty scarey stuff.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The filling up of a spool in reverse order and then winding back onto a spare spool comes about when you have these 150yard/metre spools of braid, which I really like to use. I can't cast a lure that far, and I have never seen a bass yet which comes close to running that far, so therefore I know I am getting full use out of a spool of line. I never know where half way is on a 300 yard spool and therefore I always think I am wasting a bunch of expensive line.

It does make sense - put all the braid on nice and tight, wind on some backing mono to the level you want, and then simply wind it all on to your spare spool. Job done. This is why spare spools are so useful.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,489 Posts
Even though the video footage of the line breaking is alarming I will still be using power pro.
I have over the years been a "modern"mono line man and still like using the stuff etc.
Wouldnt use the old style lines "maxima"as they are far too stretchy.
Next time I will go for 150yds instead of 300,it makes more sense.

Nick.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks for the information I will be purchasing some braid to try for the first time on a 150m spool so i do not waste any and then put it on as suggested so it comes up to the spool edge.

I usually use 15lb line and 60lb leader what braid strength do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
ben,,fill your spool around 3mm below the lip of the spool that then should bed in nicely,,i use 150 yds power pro green ,the best braid around i think personally, i put all the braid on the spool and the reasoning behind that is that when fishing estuarys with poppers and this has been talked about before on here,,you can,,if in the correct location in the flow ,long trott the popper, and pick up fish at at the end of the trott,,another reason to put on all the braid on the spool is you can always turn the line around after,,
and last but not least is i have only one spool for my vs at the moment:cry::cry:

gee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts