World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about whether you fish or not, I mean more on the lines of do you trust them enough to dictate where you'll go based on the forecast? Sun, rain, wind and almost everything can effect the mark that you chose to fish so do you trust the weather forecasts?

I'm asking as where I am now (Weston-super-Mare in Somerset) ALL the forecasts say it's sunny intervals with a little light cloud yet outside my window all I can see is grey clouds and IT'S RAINING.

We've had many a trip where we've expected good weather only to be disappointed both in terms of the weather that actually turns out and the catch as a result. :wallbash:

Bah Humbug to the weather peeps and their Met Office predictions! :boxing:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm not talking about whether you fish or not, I mean more on the lines of do you trust them enough to dictate where you'll go based on the forecast? Sun, rain, wind and almost everything can effect the mark that you chose to fish so do you trust the weather forecasts?

I'm asking as where I am now (Weston-super-Mare in Somerset) ALL the forecasts say it's sunny intervals with a little light cloud yet outside my window all I can see is grey clouds and IT'S RAINING.

We've had many a trip where we've expected good weather only to be disappointed both in terms of the weather that actually turns out and the catch as a result. :wallbash:

Yes mate in general i will let weather dictate where i fish due to the fact alot of the fishing i do is by my self and i wouldnt consider going to certain marks on my own if the weathers close to putting me at risk. thats not to say i wont go out at all i just avoid marks such as the ogmore ledges.

to say this it has shot me in the foot when iv refused to fish places because of the weather and then people i have spoken to have had some good sesh's from the mark iv refused whilst all iv caught is a tan on a beach.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
i rely on them only to predict wind speed/direction & just to confirm wheather a given venue will be safe or not, their usually fairly accurate & if not there's usually a alternate venue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't pay any attention to the weather i'm also in weston and in my short experience the local marks are as unpredictable as the weather and never fish the way you expect them to. I talk to other local anglers and the tackle shops and find out whats been happening and that info dictates where i fish.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Must be very difficult for anyone who does not live beside the sea gauging when to fish via weather reports alone.A couple of mates of mine who I see a few times a year have to plan trips a week in advance as they're miles and miles away.By then it's just pot luck whether the weather will be suitable or not.I can look at a flat calm sea at 8am,which is then a great big swell or a choppy,white horse mess by 1pm.I dig bait every sunday,then just go when the conditions are best whenever through the week,never could do it based on weather reports alone,I have to see the sea before I could even gauge where to go fishing at that particular time.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I made the serious mistake of believing the weather forecast last Saturday, the first day of my hard-earned holiday. I went to the toy shop, and missed out on one of the best days yet for hounds on the Lincs coast. I had two the following morning, but it was cold comfort by comparison. The rest of the week has been pants so far. Won't make that mistake again.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

due to your location you would prob be better off checking the south wales forcast! seems to be more accurate for ilfracombe and WSM is a lot closer

·
Registered
348 Posts
Regardless of how many days a forecast can look into the future I generally don't consider anything for more than 2 days. Forecasts seem to get a bit flaky from 3 days onwards. For a forecast website I tend to use metcheck which has enough accuracy and detail to do me!

G

·
i really don't care about the weather ..well unless it's gail force you just put some waterproofs on ...the fish don't care so why should you ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I go through every weather forecast i can find until i find one thats favourable..i then dismiss all the other ones as incorrect...With a bit of practice you can get ideal conditions 365 days a year..:ph34r:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i really don't care about the weather ..well unless it's gail force you just put some waterproofs on ...the fish don't care so why should you ?
I think you'll find that they do. I've only been fishing a while and I've noticed a MASSIVE difference with the weather. Selsey a few weeks back, the Friday there was wind from the South West and a bit of rain and nobody caught a thing (within reason) then on the Sat the wind had dropped considerably, the wind was from the South East as well and it was a much clearer day.

That was the night where about 50-60 Smoothies came out in 3-4 hours.

It's common knowledge to people not in the sport of fishing that when the tide's rough the fish go deeper to get away from it (in the most part).

Weather makes a difference. Absolutely.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
62,649 Posts

I never let the weather forcast bother me too much,,,,,if the forcast says the wind is going to be in a certain direction then I will listen but as for everything else the forcasts are just not reliable enough.:uhuh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.