World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor is telling me that sea fishing may be a bit too strenuous for me with my heart condition and that I should take up a more leisurely form like Carp Fishing.

I could sell my gear to pay for the carp gear, but was wondering if any of you could put a rough price on how much I could ask for the following:-

Daiwa Supercast 13M
Leeda Olympic 12ft
Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite (florida orange)
Abu 7000
Daiwa SL30SH
Leeda fs reel
2 rod Tripod
Shakespeare Rod Holdall
Ron Thompson Beach Shelter
Mustad surf rucksack, bait box, reel case, spool tube, rig wallet, T-Bar
Plano tackle box
Smaller tray type tackle box
Various rig bits, weights and lines and leaders

If it's not enough, then I will not sell. I don't want to give up sea fishing, but docs orders have to be respected.

Hope this post does not break any forum rules.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
In what way is the doctor saying sea fishing is too strenuous I can understand it if you are having to walk long distances with a heap of kit, do you have any marks that can be acessed by car ? piers etc.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I honsestly can't see whay seafishing is anymore strenious than carping. OK you may have to cast further, but there's more than a few piers in your area that you don't have to cast or walk too far.
Try slimming down the tackle you carry with you each trip, so it's not too heavy to carry. Why not buy a tackle trolly ?
Just a thought m8.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Dont think it breaks any rules,sorry about the bad news,but your best bet is look on flea bay and compare prices i know it is not perfect but it gives you a good idea
BY THE WAY both me and my pal have heart probs him with low blood pressure and me with high,as a matter of fact he had to be air lifted a few weeks ago to hospital off the boat, link on the Dawnbreaker he is still out on the boat same as me== PAT

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I would say no less than £250

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I assume your doctor wants you to pack up from a safety point of view, a heart problem coupled with fishing from a pier/rocks or a beach is bad news should the worst happen. If you take someone with you and have them carry the gear (I do this for my father in law occasionally) you should be fine, as long as you stick to venues near to the car and carry a phone. ;)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Unless your doctor is an angler what does he know about the relative effort involved in each. If you are looking for a less strenuous type of angling switch to fly fishing, either from bank or boat. Plenty of opportunities for that down in Kent. Much less strenuous than either carp or sea fishing (which I would say from experience are about equal).

(And if he's a carp angler maybe he just wants more going over to the dark arts of carp fishing.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have explained to the doc the distances I have to walk with gear. Once example is the walk along the boardwalk to dungie from the car park. I told her how my heart was racing at the end, and she said with only three quarters of a heart (which I have) that is not a good idea. Also, i'm very susceptible to the wind and the cold, which can be a prob as many marks are very open. And lastly, I am on tablets that take away my natural UV protection and leave my skin burning badly in just an hour in the sun. With carping, a lot of spots are nice and shaded. My beach shelter does not really seem to work that well.

I have thought about a carp trolley, but with most beaches in Kent being steep shingle, that could be a slight problem!

Believe me, i'd love to carry on. I suppose I could build up a list of marks which offer me easy access, but even the piers need a decent amount of walking to.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
have you seen all the c**p and bait most of the carp boys take. i really don't think it's any less strenuas, i don't really think sea fishing is that strenuas anyway unless your match fishing.

as for what your gear's worth. to you it's prob worth well over £300, but if you put it up for sale you'll prob be lucky to get £200. everyones just after a bargain or nothing these days, especially with second hand stuff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have explained to the doc the distances I have to walk with gear. Once example is the walk along the boardwalk to dungie from the car park. I told her how my heart was racing at the end, and she said with only three quarters of a heart (which I have) that is not a good idea. Also, i'm very susceptible to the wind and the cold, which can be a prob as many marks are very open. And lastly, I am on tablets that take away my natural UV protection and leave my skin burning badly in just an hour in the sun. With carping, a lot of spots are nice and shaded. My beach shelter does not really seem to work that well.

I have thought about a carp trolley, but with most beaches in Kent being steep shingle, that could be a slight problem!

Believe me, i'd love to carry on. I suppose I could build up a list of marks which offer me easy access, but even the piers need a decent amount of walking to.
good luck mate on whatever you choose to do .

·
Registered
462 Posts
il give you 200.00 for all that gear ?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
hi robfosters i suffer from an arthritic condition and cant cast from the beach or walk too far sometimes when its like that i fish newhaven from the car or seaford where theres hardly any walking to be done. as for the sunshine a beach buddy or some sort of shelter is a must.

a trolley always helps and one with pnuematic tyres will always help also a few mates to help lug gear and help set up is handy im sure there are a few blokes on this site who would help.

best bit of advice is to plan your days out when you know your feeling your best and make the most of them but never give up cos you will only feel worse esoecially when reading of good fishin reports on the site.

all the best in whatever you choose to do:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
606 Posts
sorry to hear that rob my father in law coarse fishes he has twice the amount of stuff that i have.with some long walks aswell. been with him before and knackered before we set up. i know this is not always the case but the same with sea fishing i like it at deal not more than 50 yards from the car fishing at high tide good luck fella.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
the other thing with carping is the sitting and laying around. i don't know how sitting/ laying there for hours and suddenly pursting into life to fight a fish, would affect you.

G

·
Take up a more gentle form of Sea Angling.
Mullet fishing, stalking Bass in harbours etc etc.

There is far more to life and usually much better rewards than carryig the kitchen sink down Dungie beach.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I have problems walking and have been looking into the purpose built all terrain electric carts that can carry an angler and all the tackle. When I find the site I will post a link, it may be of use to others. I did buy a cheap quad which did a great job but found it to be eyed up by every scroat and chav that clapped a glimpse of it.

Sea fishing is as strenuios and taxing as you make it, I dont do any mountain goat accesable makrs any more, the cold makes me seize up. I do a fair persentage of my fishing with a carp & pike rod to lesson the back strain on my worst days. I can understand what you are saying about the UV, bit of a bummer really when you love fishing aint it ?

If you are thinking about changing over to course fishing, maybe approach the disabled match fishing association or the BDAA and see if they can put you in contact with a local member / group that can assist.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i would buy the tripod and shelter if your still selling...?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts