World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am going out on a boat for the 1st time in a few years, i used to just hire a rod and reel from the boat, but now ive bought a cheapo 2nd hand rod and reel off ebay(shakespeare seawolf rod 1439-020 and a shakespeare sigma 2951-340)the rod looks ok but the reel looks very small

it say's it takes 330yds of 15lbs,180yds of 25lbs or 120yds of 35lbs

how much line would be ok and what breaking strain should i go for?
oh!! and what do the numbers mean 1439-020.....2952-340 are they just model numbers?

cheers jerry

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
hi.the numbers are just model numbers as you suggested.i would say buy some reasonable 20lb line possibly a bulk spool and fill the reel right up which will possibly be 200/220 mtrs which will be loads and strong enough.enjoy and best of luck.cheers

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
hi,as ian says thats called the star drag[same as on f/s reele which are on the front of the spool or at rear of reel]put you multi on to your rod and feed your line down through the top eye and tie on to your reel and when filling spool keep a little bit of tension on your line and use your thumb to level line.job done .cheers

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
am going out on a boat for the 1st time in a few years, i used to just hire a rod and reel from the boat, but now ive bought a cheapo 2nd hand rod and reel off ebay(shakespeare seawolf rod 1439-020 and a shakespeare sigma 2951-340)the rod looks ok but the reel looks very small

oh!! and what do the numbers mean 1439-020.....2952-340 are they just model numbers?

cheers jerry
I cant find a match on google but I got this Seawolf and its a spinning rod.

Seawolf

The Sigma is identical to the one in my bag from 30 years ago.

It was used when I was a boy as a back-up to the Ambassador 7000.

"A bit small", you say and you are correct but it still handles extremely well and will hold pollack to 10lb with ease.

For me it was useful to connect a spinning rod to it for Pollacking from the boat even it doesnt have a level wind.

It has obviously never let me down and I also paid considerably more for it then than you do today.

Just be careful as everyone reiterates that parts nowadays are of a cheaper and lesser quality than in days gone by.

Try it and see and then make up your own mind. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i went to a local auction to night and picked up a daiwa sealine SL175H muliplier reel(and an old beachcaster) for £7 i was well happy :happy: till i got the reel in my hand and found that the level wind did'nt work:doh: the level wind bit is stuck to one side.
would it be worth opening it up to have a look? or will there be bits flying out like springs or anything else? it work's fine but would like it if i could fix the level wind bit

·
Registered
865 Posts

cheers jerry
ive brought you on so much really since i took you under my wing :showoff:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.