World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
13,170 Posts
There is indeed. Twice the length of your rod plus half a dozen turns of your reel. Some will measure twice the length from reel to tip and some will have a few less turns of the reel. But it's all thereabouts. Of course if you use tapered shocks......you just bung the whole thing on.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Put your rod together, thread the leader through the rings, tie onto your line and leave the other end on the spool.
Wind 6 turns round the spool, then take off a bit more line to copy the length of line drop you use to cast with a lead on.
Tie on a gemini clip, job done.
What I do next is take the line off with armspans and count them. You can then make up spares for the beach without the rigmarole above just by measuring off the leader spool. I cut off a length of line, tie a clip on then wind it round an old line spool. Tape it one, then do another until I have a few spare leaders to save messing about with numb fingers in a force 5 sandstorm.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
There is a good reason for the 6 turns on the reel plus twice the length of your rod formula described by Gulp above.

Ideally you want the leader knot to be passing through the tip ring after the rod tip is out of "recovery". Depending on your rod and your casting style the tip will wobble about after you hit the cast; too short a leader and this can cause the knot to catch at the tip ring causing a massive birds nest and crack-off. A longer leader (i.e 6 turns and twice the length) allows the tip to recover before the knot passes through.

You might get away with a shorter leader (many do) but to be sure go with the formula Gulp suggests :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
All as above unless you are rock or pier fishing when you need to have 6 turns on the reel while the other end is stilll in the water, so that the whole lifting of a fish is done with the heavier line without knots to weaken the line

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sorry to hijack but I use 30lb braid,can I still attach a 60lb tapered leader without difficulties? I slung a 4oz lead out the other night and it snapped my line after about 15 casts so think I better get a leader on there!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hijack but I use 30lb braid,can I still attach a 60lb tapered leader without difficulties? I slung a 4oz lead out the other night and it snapped my line after about 15 casts so think I better get a leader on there!
Don't hijack my thread, I'll go all John McClain on you. Lol! That's fine, it's best to ask away. I'll learn from it too.

Jon

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
ha ha sorry mate lol didnt want to start a new thread and get moaned at lol

·
Marmite
12,806 Posts
There is a good reason for the 6 turns on the reel plus twice the length of your rod formula described by Gulp above.

Ideally you want the leader knot to be passing through the tip ring after the rod tip is out of "recovery". Depending on your rod and your casting style the tip will wobble about after you hit the cast; too short a leader and this can cause the knot to catch at the tip ring causing a massive birds nest and crack-off. A longer leader (i.e 6 turns and twice the length) allows the tip to recover before the knot passes through.

You might get away with a shorter leader (many do) but to be sure go with the formula Gulp suggests :thumbs:
iv only fished 4 2years and iv all ways had leader lengh ov the rod plus 6 turns. but reading through yours its right cheeres marra:thumbs:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is also important to remember to use at least the same breaking strain line (as your shock leader) for your main rig line, no good using a shock leader if you have tied your rigs with 20lb line
Thanks for that. If you buy shop bought rigs, do they state the strength of the line? Or is it a standard strength used in most?

Jon

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I read somewhere it was 7 x arm span, just checked and it works out at 45 turns around my reel.....or did I just imagine it lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts