World Sea Fishing Forums banner

of the times you DO go fishing, what proportion is good fishing?

• 100%, every time a catch.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ha ha ha, whats a catch?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "how often do you go" poll was interesting to me as a newbie angler. But I'm interested to know how often you catch fish that make your trips to the sea worthwhile.

That's my vote, at the bottom choice, by the way!
David

B

·
0 Posts
:ph34r: Hi I fish all year round and my belief is the fishing is by far the best during the winter months, more fish fish autumn mornings I love it, but when times are bleak during the summer months when I might go monthes with out so much of a nibble I have had some of my best and most suprising catchs and it is these I reflect upon when I despair, So I think that every time I catch a fish it is a good catch but when I ready to throw my rod in the nearest skip, and suddenly one cheeky solitary pouting comes along the same size as the bait, and then another and another until my tally for the session breaks into double figures (Why is it Pouting only turn up when no other fish in the sea is around). These are the catchs that prevent me from giving up. And of course all the fish that have put up a good fight or have been of a decent size these are what brings me back.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I wouldn't say that it is always necessary to catch big and/or lot of fish for a session to be enjoyable. An interesting question perhaps would be 'why do we go fishing' - sure 'to catch fish' would rate pretty highly but we all know there are other reasons, some of which are hard to describe. I constantly struggle to explain to non-anglers that I don't go fishing just to catch fish, and have completely given up trying to explain that I return my catch :rolleyes:

A phrase that I heard somewhere sums it up perfectly for me :

"A bad days fishing is better than a good days work"

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I suppose your response will be shaped by your aspirations. What I mean is, if you set out to catch a decent ray and you catch a stack of dogfish, is that a good trip? I rarely have total blanks but don't equate that with good fishing. Most of the fish are small and not necessarilly the species that I want. I reckon 1 trip in 4 achieves what I set out to do. Still, the main point is that I always (?) enjoy myself and try to learn something which will improve my catches.

Rhod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends what you mean by good catches. I rarely blank, but that's down to knowing what species are likely to be around and targetting them with the correct tackle/tactics and most important of all, the correct type of bait of the best quality available.

I fish lots of matches and a good catch is one that I can weigh in and return to the sea alive. A bucket of Pout is a good catch in those terms, or a bucket of eels.

If you mean a good sized fish, or a specimen fish, then I guess I can count on one hand the amount of those per year I have from the shore....and I fish most weekends!!

I think the most important thing is to enjoy the time spent on the beach, and not be too disappointed when you don't catch a personal best every time. To me any time spent on the beach, even in foul weather, is better than time spent at work or at home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses guys. All interesting. My own fishing has come along now - succesfully fished Weymouth harbour twice and caught my first bass of Hengistbury Head last week. Thats three sessions, three successes in terms of fishes hooked.

Off boat fishing tomorrow.

Good fun eh? Wish I'd started years ago.

David :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I only boat fish, and just about every trip is competition fishing, with the more species the more points type of scoring , so knowing whats about and catching more than 5 or 6 different species is always the target, it makes you think and keeps the interest going right up to lines up every trip is a challenge and only serves to improve your fishing and knowledge I reckon I;ve had a bad day if I have'nt learned something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EVERY trip is a comp? Must almost take the pleasure away?!?

Anyway, I did my first boat fishing trip today and managed to land (boat?) a bass. All three of us on board also landed bass so we quite happy, but more would have been nicer. Still, learnt a heck of a lot and spent the day at sea so cant be bad.
david

·
Registered
303 Posts
On the contrary mate! it adds to the days pleasure, keeps you on your toes and improves your fishing no end. we've been doing it now for five years and looking back through the records, I can see how people have improved,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

I used to fish off the shore at hastings but got hacked off with all the no shows. Now limit my fishing to holidays in Norway( hence the monniker - cod fisher).
Biggest fish to date is a 13lb pollack. Hoping to beat that at Christmas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts