World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by my tutors to tie my flies sparsely and was wondering how sparse people from different parts of the UK tie their Bass flies. It would be very helpful to a complete novice like me to see different examples as a guide for my humble attempts.
Any chance some of you could post a few photos of your Bass flies ?

·
Read Only
2,032 Posts
I'm a technophobe so no good at putting up photos, however, one piece of advice is to try your flies in the bath, garden pond etc. it all depends on what your targeting and what bait you're trying to replicate. I started tying with the dry look uppermost in my minds eye, but with little success, so now I use "in the wet" profile when evaluating.
Change over to outward facing feathers for sand eel patterns, they look tatty but move so much better. As for Bucktail, these are best in less quantity, either little flash mixed in the fibres or one Flashabou either side as a lateral line.
May be you could post your efforts so we can pass comment?
David.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zero strands of DNA

K

Looks like there aren't many tiers on here John, or perhaps they are just bashful

·
Read Only
2,032 Posts
Thanks, in my opinion I would be happy to tie and fish those. On the bottom one I would turn it into a surf candy type by slipping a sleeve of Mylar over.
It is all a case of trial and error and seeing what works on your patch and at what time of the year.
I must learn how to post photos so I can engage better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been lucky to have 3 very patient and generous teachers to guide me, Louis, Saltwater and Gary.
Thanks Penguinfood for the tip about Mylar

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi,

Here's my first try at a (not so sparsely tied) streamer made with some feathers I found.

100_3274.jpg

When wet it slims down a bit into this:

100_3387.jpg

I still have to go out to give it a try :)

Tight lines, lambert63.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They look good John,Much better than my lash ups... will try and get some pics up or bring my box round in the week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

Here's my first try at a (not so sparsely tied) streamer made with some feathers I found.

View attachment 196048

When wet it slims down a bit into this:

View attachment 196049

I still have to go out to give it a try :)

Tight lines, lambert63.
Not bad but do remember, what a fly looks like in the vice dry, is what it looks like in the water

If you wet it on land although it may reduce the profile, it booms back up when in the water

SWF

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tasty ties John - there's a nice piece in Ray Bondorews' 'Stripers and Streamers' where they get chatting about reducing the qty of material in their flies to the extent of...

Just wondering about other peoples experiences in relation to 'sparcity' more on some days less on others?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Jim

Certainly I like to tie and use sparse flies, when light snd clarity allows. Sparcity need not mean less materials, more an open weave form of tying as well as the minimal amount of material used. Take the hollow fleye and the BTD as examples, the fly construction is minimalist but the effect substantial. Open weave tying (can't think of better term) allows the fibres to move and breathe, giving a greater appearance of life, than fibres tightly packed and constricted in movement by their neighbours.

If the water is murky, sparse tying isn't particularly effective, fish needing a strong profile to locate their prey. This applies to night and day. I generally follow a mantra when tying, that whatever material I pick from a bunch, I halve it before applying to the hook.

Every mark can be different I know that the sloopy droop has a great reputation in Eire, it hardly produces on my customary marks.

Or perhaps I don't give it enough time on the water.

Regards

Kieran

1 - 20 of 25 Posts