World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bow roller broke off a couple of weeks ago, taking some of the boat with it.
I've ground it all out, and have built up a new surface with West epoxy and glass matting.
The chandlers advised to build it right to the top, then prime and paint to finish.
But, my painting skills are awful, and I have some Gelcoat tucked away that I've never tried using.
If I finish the top layer with gelcoat, what sort of thickness is best? it needs to be a fairly strong repair as it will be supporting the new bow roller but it will have a large, stainless backing plate underneath when its done.
Just seems it might be easier to polish in a new gelcoat layer (I know the colour won't be a perfect match) than faff about trying to feather in paint that won't match either.

Incidentally, this is an old boat that's a bit tatty, so it doesn't need to be a perfect repair. But, I am trying to tidy it up so don't want it to look worse than it needs to!

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
when laying up inside a mould the gelcoat needs to be around 1mm thick.

when doing a repair like you are you need to apply 2 or 3 coats of gel with the last coat mixed with wax solution to allow it to cure properly and then you can sand smooth and polish it up.

if you sand through the gel then add another coat.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Another problem you'll have is that gelcoat will not stick to the epoxy repair that you've done.

the only way it will stick is to coat the repair with vinylester resin which will act as a tie coat

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Superb, thanks Garry, that makes it a bit easier then.
Stewart, from what I've read, that's supposed to be a bit of a myth. As long as the surface blushing amines are rinsed from the epoxy, and it's keyed properly, it's supposed to bond well? Anyone know any different?

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Can't say I've ever tried it as I've only ever done epoxy onto polyester, polyester onto polyester or epoxy onto epoxy.

it might stick but how good the bond will be is anyone's guess without proper testing, also how long it will stick for. personally I wouldn't do polyester onto epoxy but it's upto you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts